Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op, in extreme pain and depression

I came home from the hospital two days ago from a revisional surgery (gastric sleeve to gastric bypass.) I'm currently experiencing extreme pain and serious, serious depression. I need help and I don't know where to turn. I'm considering checking into a psych ward. I'm feeling suicidal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Please, take one minute at a time... have you called your Dr and explained your pain? Do you have a support system? If not, please feel free to contact me and I will help you in any way I can.. everything will be just fine, you just have to stop and breathe and regain control and call your Dr, if it's extreme pain go to ER... please keep me posted! (I will be holding your hand and waiting...)

VSG 7/26/16, Newby to the Losers Bench

The first few days after surgery can be very rough but each day improves a little. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away. So it does not happen overnight.

Since you went from sleeve to gastric bypass, you already have a handle on the level of pain that you should experience because you already went through sleeve surgery. This is your normal. So you have something to compare it with. Generally pain gives us an indication, if something is wrong. So if you are experiencing extreme pain, something that you did not experience when you were sleeved, then consult with your surgeon's office or as @@blueeyedgirlvsg said make a visit to the ER.

Some individuals report extreme emotions after surgery. In part this is due to the fat cells breaking down. These cells not only contain fat but also hormones and chemicals. They need to be flushed from your system through your kidneys and expelled through your urine. Otherwise you will experience a hormone flush. You need fluids to make this process work properly. So make sure you are meeting your daily Fluid requirements. I don't believe that is your problem at the moment because you are only 2 days out and this is something you would have also experienced after you were sleeved.

I suspect that the depression you are experiencing might be due to the extreme pain. Pain can be caused by a number of factors. The surgery itself will produce pain. Walking helps to relieve this pain. But there is another kind of pain to keep a watchful eye out for. It is the pain associated with blood clots. Blood clots can produce deep vain thrombosis (dull ache or pain in leg, tightness or swelling in leg) and it can produce a pulmonary embolism (sudden shortness of breath or chest pain with breathing). Blood clots are a major risk factor that needs to be resolved immediately with your surgical team.

Hi There,

I am so sorry that you are having such pain. Did your surgeon give you pain medication to take? Sometimes you have to take that as direction exactly on time to get your pain under control.

If it is not working for you, call your doctor immediately. My doctor actually met me on a Sunday in the parking lot of her office to provide me with a new written script following plastic surgery. I have never had a doctor do that before but she did and boy was I grateful.

If they cannot help you today, you should go to the ER where they can help you get your pain under control if it is that overwhelming.

With bypass so much of it is caused by that gas in your tummy. In many cases the pain meds won't work alone. I had to get up and walk a lot and when I wasn't walking I would use a heating pad on my belly. I also used gas x tablets because your bowels begin to work again and it is really tender in your belly so you have surgical pain, gas pain from the surgery and actual gas. The 3 of them together can be overwhelming for a day or two.

While you are in pain, take deep breathes through your nose and out of your mouth several times. It will help you get control as well.

Hugs!

I came home from the hospital two days ago from a revisional surgery (gastric sleeve to gastric bypass.) I'm currently experiencing extreme pain and serious, serious depression. I need help and I don't know where to turn. I'm considering checking into a psych ward. I'm feeling suicidal.

If you are not able to see someone today since it is a weekend, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline immediately:

800-273-8255

They also have a chat feature.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Clarevoyant

Please do check yourself in to the psych ward if you can and the sooner the better. Always get yourself the best help you can as soon as you can. Take all your meds with you,

Thank you all for your replies. I've contacted my doctor through email and explained the situation as best I could.

These suicidal feelings are nothing new. (Though i haven't felt them this severely in a long time.) I have BPD and have been hospitalized for attempting suicide in the past. I have never called a suicide prevention line. I know of a local one that my friend actually works for. I may do so...

As for the pain, I do take pain meds regularly (unless I am sleeping) but generally on the every four hour mark. It is a constant ache (that never fully goes away even when medicated) accompanied by wave of sharp, stabbing pain.

I'm anxiously awaiting my doctor's reply. I will continue to post updates of. my nightmare of a surgery.

You are in my thoughts! I am also 5 days post op so just hang in there! You have to stay Positive!! I am glad you contacted your doctor that's what he is there for! just try to relax and put your feet up.. that's what I am doing. Just message me if you would like to talk about our post op progress

@@LadyStardust With something as serious as this - I would not wait for an email from your surgeon. Please call and speak to him and find out what he recommends. If you are having suicidal thoughts - please ask someone to bring you to the nearest ER for medical/Psych evaluation. If there's no one to drive you - please call 911! I'm very concerned for your well-being!

@@LadyStardust

Email is the slower way to communicate. Please call one of your doctors. Call your surgeon. If he doesn't answer call your PCP. Then try your mental health Doctor. If that does not work then please self check-in to a hospital. Your proactive choice will make a huge difference. You need help to learn about your medicines. My step-dad lives with BPD and when his weight fluctuates or he takes pain killers it affects his body's chemistry. About 8 years ago, he had about a year where he had to self-check into the hospital multiple times a week. He is well respected for his honesty with himself and is here today enjoying an active happy life. Please, take care of yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all so much for your concern and kind replies. I have heard back from my doctor! The reason I didn't call was because it is Sunday and his office is closed. He is actually very findable via e-mail and always gets back to me by the end of the day.

My doctor was incredibly thorough in his reply and extremely kind. He explained everything went well and was not only routine but my hospital stay (he reviewed my vitals and tests before answering) was even better than expected. He did explain, however, that this surgery entails deep internal stitches, muscular incisions and a traumatizing rerouting of the intestines which will definitely cause significant pain within the first few days of release. He offered me to walk-in for a doctor's appointment with him any day this week and gave me a list of things I should be concerned with (like fever and chills). He also said, as many of you reiterated, I need to resume my psychiatric medication (they did not provide it for me while I was in the hospital so I have been several days without!) And to make an appointment with my psychiatrist pronto.

The emotional distress has been significant but I recognize it is because so much is happening at once. My fiance and I have been fighting. We've started a move, since we are switching apartments in the same building. Our dog of six years has been extremely I'll and we found out recently it is prostate cancer. All of these things are what's triggering a psychological backslide...

I actually need to find a new therapist, I haven't been about to find one. For now my general practitioner has been helping with my psychiatric medication. I'll make phone calls to some clinics that take my insurance.

Again, thank you so much and for so many of you offering extended support via personal contact. I'll keep posting to let everyone know my progress. <3

I also have BPD, and can honestly say that if you are feeling suicidal, please go to the ER and tell them your situation. They can monitor you and get you in with someone to talk to ASAP. I know exactly how you feel even though I haven't had surgery yet and I know how scary it can be. How alone you can feel. Please know that you are never alone and all of us care deeply for you and your well-being. You are facing a whole different set of challenges as someone with BPD than those without this face. Please go to the ER and have them put you in a room. Generally all I have to tell them is "My therapist told me to come here in case of an emergency, this is an emergency. I feel like I want to kill myself" it may seem extreme , but it will get results. If you are in pain tell them that, they can get the Dr to give you something for the pain and probably some light sedation to help you sleep. Please don't let it escalate any more than it has. That you had the presence of mind to come here and tell us shows great strength and resilience.

Also, are you medicated for BPD? Have you missed any of them or run out? I know that can send me into a very rapid downward spiral. I can only imagine how you must be feeling being in so much pain after a revision. I don't think it's normal to be in extreme pain. I would absolutely go get it checked.

Please go to the ER and have them admit you for a long as you need. We love you and want you here to share your journey!

Ready for a chance at really living! ❤️

Sorry, seems you answered some of my questions while I was typing! Glad to hear you got in touch with your Dr! Definitely resuming your meds should help. My therapist advised me that I can open the capsules and crush the pills to take them immediately post-op. Maybe you can do the same? I hope that you get to feeling better soon, hun! I am here for you, any time! Feel free to send me a message if you ever need anything at all!! ❤️❤️❤️

Ready for a chance at really living! ❤️