Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I wish I had known...

I'm glad I spent the time to read this post. I have 2 more visits with dietician and I will be getting sleeved sometime in October. I have already met my weight loss goal, all I need to do is maintain it till then. However, my wife is not very supportive on keeping me on track. Sometimes she wants to eat out or eat some crap and frustrates me. I feel as I can't do it alone but kinda have to. She's supportive in the sense of having the surgery, but does not help as much as I would like her to currently. Also she blabs her mouth to everyone and post crap on social media! She told her mom and her mom is just as bad with nothing better to do than to troll online all day. Ugh! I hate and she knows it. That's why I don't do any social media, I don't care about people in my past and I'm sure they don't care about me!

With that said; my brother got sleeved about 2 years ago and didn't do so well. So he's the support I am falling back on, the does and "DON'T"...and talking about what he went through. He's very encouraging about and I think he feels good talking about and how he missed up. I could say that he has now changed his ways to get back on track.

2-3 months seem far out, but it will be here at a blink of an eye. Post like this I read gives me hope and what to look out for and I think about being positive is key!

Thanks

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How did your brother mess up? Did he lose any weight at all? Can you actually gain weight with such a small stomach?
It's definitely possible to eat/drink around your sleeve and not be successful or re-gain. It's just a tool - you still need to do the work.

@@dnlnext

I am 4 years out from sleeve surgery. Had a great surgical team, but moved cross country to a very small remote town. I was on my own and relied a lot on this site. You can do it, but it takes a LOT of willpower and being self-sufficient.

We have moved back again, and I am seeing a Bariatric doctor again this week. My primary doctor always ran my Bariatric labs and they were good. It was difficult but you can do it. PM me with any questions or concerns.

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

I don't doubt anything you've said, but I have to say my experience couldn't have been any more different.

I felt like I was on a fairly strict diet for 6 weeks before surgery, but it was easy because I stopped drinking alcohol.

After surgery, I had no pain, no side effects, and no hunger. I followed the 30 day post opt diet to a T and by 6 weeks out, I eased back to a normal life, just ate less.

Oh yeah, never had a second thought, mood swing, or anything but joy over the new me!

The only thing I wish I'd known was how easy it would all be. I would have done it 20 years ago!

Edited by Cape Crooner

I don't doubt anything you've said, but I have to say my experience couldn't have been any more different.

I felt like I was on a fairly strict diet for 6 weeks before surgery, but it was easy because I stopped drinking alcohol.

After surgery, I had no pain, no side effects, and no hunger. I followed the 30 day post opt diet to a T and by 6 weeks out, I eased back to a normal life, just ate less.

Oh yeah, never had a second thought, mood swing, or anything but joy over the new me!

The only thing I wish I'd known was how easy it would all be. I would have done it 20 years ago!

I am really glad you had a great experience. But yours is the experience I had been led to believe that I would have, and when it was nothing like that, I have to admit that it hit me pretty hard. I am definitely doing much better now, but I felt really mislead because I wasn't warned of other difficult circumstances that might arise as a result of the surgery. I certainly don't think that my experience is the "gold standard", but I really don't want pre-ops to assume that everything is going to be ideal. I wish everyone could have a recovery without difficulties, but it's just not going to work that way for some. Thanks for your comment; it's inspiring! I hope the rest of your journey is great, too!

I was told to read a book by the psychologist that did warn me to expect the kind of issues you encountered, they just never happened to me.

That's awesome. It's good to share your good experience as well, so that people are aware that it may not suck as much as it possibly can, LOL! I wish I had come here before my surgery...I would have had so much more wisdom when I needed it most. I really enjoy the vast variety of information here.

@,

Thanks for this list! It is always so helpful to new upcoming WLS patients to find out what others wish they had known so they can prepare for their own surgeries.

You have some great observations here! I think one of the hardest things to deal with is the fact that sometimes food is not the problem – so you need to think about what role food plays in your life, and what your other problems are, so you can be sure that WLS

It’s also a good warning about food and pleasure. Sometimes after WLS, the pleasure of eating just disappears. You’re no longer interested in food, and it’s not an easy thing to handle. One of the greatest pleasures of your life is just gone, even though it was also one of the greatest problems in your life, and really does leave a hole. I think it’s worth thinking about before WLS: how will you fill the gaps that are left when you take away food?

Thanks for bringing up the “people” factor. You may think people watch you closely when you’re overweight before WLS, but that’s nothing compared to the microscope you’ll be under after WLS! For some reason, way too many people think that you getting WLS gives them the right to comment on all of your actions and your weight loss, and to tell you what they think you should do, even if they have never ever even found out the first thing about WLS and the WLS diet.

Even if people are courteous enough to keep their comments to themselves, you’re right – you’ll still be aware that they’re watching every bite you take and scrutinizing you for any signs of weight lost or regained.

Thank you for all of these great points. I don’t think you are negative at all! I think your experience is very typical, and being prepared for these things can help future WLS be successful.

@@Alex Brecher Thank you so much for your response!

Thank you so much Connie. I am glad I found this site too. I have learned so much. A few days ago I figured out by mistake, that clicking on a name I can read all their previous posts. I have spent the last few days reading all the posts of some of our very awesome vets...I still have a long way in my journey as I am just starting, but thank you everyone for taking the time to share a little knowledge and show some kindness!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for sharing your story, you're so right. I had my surgery last Thursday and I regretted it the moment I woke up from surgery, the pain was excruciating and I thought I was gonna die. It has gotten so much better throughout the days but I do wonder when will it go away.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@Ale Nunez so sorry you have had a painful experience. It just takes time, and you will be feeling better soon. I know that sounds lame, but it really is true. Keep posting and let us know how it's going for you.

Everyone is different. Believe me I miss food so much. I play tricks on myself. Sunday dinners I keep myself busy and sit down and eat when people are almost done. Alcohol is not a problem. I don't drink as much as I did but I still go out and have a good time. The smoking I quit but sometimes I have just a puff or two. It is all in your mind. I still sometimes think what the hell did I do to myself when I am craving a hamburger or deli sandwich and know if I eat the bread I will throw up. It bugs you in the beginning but when you go from a size 20 to 12 and feel 20 years younger than it is worth it.