Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six weeks post op only down 15 poubfs6

Hi,

I had surgery 6/13 saw my doc yesterday and have only lost 15 pounds since my surgery. He asked what I was eating and I told him that I would have some Soup at times for lunch. He said that was no good. He said I need to watch my carb intake. I can now eat anything but I'm scared. Also frustrated and disappointed. Anyone else go through this? How do I get back on track? I'm walking 5 days a week for about 40 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Wow, I think it's kind of unrealistic that your bariatric team provided no guidance initially on what or how to eat, then got disappointed in you for not eating the way they want you to. So I wouldn't even call it getting back on track, it's just finding a way to eat that will maximize your health and your weight loss.

I'll provide my team's plan in case it might be of interest to you if you are looking for a healthier way to eat. This is for the first six months:

Eat 3 meals per day, no more than 3 ounces per meal

Maximum 800 calories and 60 carbs per day. Minimum 75 grams Protein per day.

Acceptable food to use to fit within those goals: meat, fish, eggs, dairy, Beans, legumes, nuts, nut butters, Protein Powder, fruit, green/low carb veggies

Unacceptable foods: sweets, any grains (including all forms of corn), high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas; Soup, alcohol

No Snacks other than Protein Shakes and non-caloric liquids

At 6 months out, if not at goal, increase calories to 1000. Meals may be up to 5 ounces. Carbs may be bumped up to 75 grams. Okay to have one serving of grains or sweets weekly if it fits in your daily nutrient goals.

No drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after

All food must be weighed (preferable) or measured and tracked via MyFitnessPal or similar food diary.

Aim for 30 minutes of exercise daily but do not log or "eat back" exercise calories unless you do more than 30 minutes exercise. Log/eat back no more than 50% of calories burned for those minutes over 30.

Good luck!

Hi,

I had surgery 6/13 saw my doc yesterday and have only lost 15 pounds since my surgery. He asked what I was eating and I told him that I would have some Soup at times for lunch. He said that was no good. He said I need to watch my carb intake. I can now eat anything but I'm scared. Also frustrated and disappointed. Anyone else go through this? How do I get back on track? I'm walking 5 days a week for about 40 minutes.

What are you eating other than soup at lunch? I don't think 15 pounds is too bad but you definitely need a diet plan and make sure you are getting enough Protein and fluids. Do you have a nutritionist you can meet with?

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Wow, I think it's kind of unrealistic that your bariatric team provided no guidance initially on what or how to eat, then got disappointed in you for not eating the way they want you to. So I wouldn't even call it getting back on track, it's just finding a way to eat that will maximize your health and your weight loss.

I'll provide my team's plan in case it might be of interest to you if you are looking for a healthier way to eat. This is for the first six months:

Eat 3 meals per day, no more than 3 ounces per meal

Maximum 800 calories and 60 carbs per day. Minimum 75 grams Protein per day.

Acceptable food to use to fit within those goals: meat, fish, eggs, dairy, Beans, legumes, nuts, nut butters, Protein Powder, fruit, green/low carb veggies

Unacceptable foods: sweets, any grains (including all forms of corn), high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas; Soup, alcohol

No Snacks other than Protein Shakes and non-caloric liquids

At 6 months out, if not at goal, increase calories to 1000. Meals may be up to 5 ounces. Carbs may be bumped up to 75 grams. Okay to have one serving of grains or sweets weekly if it fits in your daily nutrient goals.

No drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after

All food must be weighed (preferable) or measured and tracked via MyFitnessPal or similar food diary.

Aim for 30 minutes of exercise daily but do not log or "eat back" exercise calories unless you do more than 30 minutes exercise. Log/eat back no more than 50% of calories burned for those minutes over 30.

Good luck!

thank you for this! having surgery soon and after my 8 week diet post-op wasn't really sure what I should be aiming for !

I was not allowed Soup at all. Only Protein.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

Is this the first time you have seen your surgeon since surgery? Have you been provided any guidelines other than watch your carbs? I was sleeved the same month and I have seen surgeon 4 times and was given food plan guidelines. You may need to find a nutritionist to help you with planning.

And don't be afraid to eat real food. Especially now that you are 5.5 mths out. Take small bites of small Protein and eat slowly. I have never gotten sick and began solids at 5 weeks. Eating soup at lunch sometimes is ok, just depends on what else you are eating.