Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To tell or not to tell?

Hi all,

Had my mini gastric bypass done last Tuesday and will go back to the office on Monday.

I was wondering how you guys handled colleagues? Usually spent my lunch break with the same group of people and was wondering if I should tell them about the surgery or not?

Surely, they will recognise my tiny portions once I start on pureed food?

Also wondering what the best approach is when going to a restaurant? Do you guys tell the servant you had surgery and need a tiny portion or do you bring a plastic container to just put the food in which is in excess of the allowed portion size?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have only told a few people. When I'm around the people I haven't told, I just tell that that I;m not very hungry because I had a late lunch, etc.,

As far as restaurants go, sometimes my husband and I order one entree, and I just get a couple ounces of the meat. We've also ordered separate meals, and I just have them box up the leftovers for me. (I cut off the portion that I'm going to eat so that I don't accidentally overdo it!

I wasn't comfortable telling anyone I work with. When you go out to eat get Soup or whatever you want. Bring home what you can't eat. I was uncomfortable with this at first because I eat so little it looks like I didn't like the food. If I'm questioned by the waiter I just say, I ate too much before I came here, or of an appetizer if there is one.

So as I hit my 6th month of supervised weight loss with my pcp and had made my appointment to see the surgeon for the first time I'd when I told my boss, so that she would know I'd need time off. I do alot of lifting for my job. But we actually have another rn who went through the surgery. So she went and brought her into out little meeting and we got to talk . It was great cause my boss is super super supportive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I told my family and a few close friends before my mini but now that it's done, I dont have a problem telling people. I didnt want the emotional "dont do it" before surgery and I don't want the "maybe it's drugs" or whatever other crazy talk people can come up with. Like you, I wasn't sure if I wanted people to know but I have found that when I have talked about it, people are pretty supportive. It seems everyone knows someone who has had it done. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I told my team a couple weeks prior to surgery because they knew I'd be out on medical leave for 2-3 weeks and I didn't want to lie. They were all very supportive and seem very excited even now that I'm back to work. It is certainly your choice and it depends on how close you are with those you work with. I work for a major cruise line and while I told all of my team and some others shoreside whom I work closely with, I didn't tell my teams onboard the ships. Only a few good friends who happen to work on the ships.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App