Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else had trouble sleeping after gastric bypass??

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Yep! Though I now think that it's because my body simply doesn't need as much sleep. I'm still tired sometimes but really it's when I don't get all my calories in. But before, I used to need like 9-10 hours minimum to feel rested, now I wake up y myself after 6-8 hours.

I like sleep 2 hours and wake up...I sleep better in the day then I do at night ..

Yeah that might be something else. Though I went through a phase like that too around 3-5 months. My doctors chalked it up to all the hormone imbalances that happen with rapid weight loss. Makes sense, but didn't make me feel better or help me sleep at all. It did pass!

Good to know...I had my surgery June 30th so almost 3 weeks...how are you doing with your weight loss??

Oh I'm also on some meds for insomnia but from what I understand pills don't absorb like they did pre-surgery...

Right after surgery, several people reported that they could not sleep in a bed but used a recliner instead. This was for the first few weeks after surgery.

I found that as the weight dropped off, that the fat that normally insulated my knee joints dissolved away and when I slept on my side, it was like bone on bone contact which was uncomfortable. I found that sliding a pillow between my legs helped with this condition.

@@Lewiswife

This will improve as time goes on. You are only a few weeks post op and still recovering.

Congratulations on your surgery and starting a whole new life.

I started having insomnia about a week after surgery. It was bad for about three weeks. I would go to bed feeling sleepy but couldn't get to sleep until 3a.m. Or so then wake up 3 hrs later feeling wide awake. Now, in week 5, it has gotten a lot better. Thankfully!

I started having insomnia about a week after surgery. It was bad for about three weeks. I would go to bed feeling sleepy but couldn't get to sleep until 3a.m. Or so then wake up 3 hrs later feeling wide awake. Now, in week 5, it has gotten a lot better. Thankfully!

Yes...that's about when it started for me....you definitely gave me hope... it was just 3 weeks ago yesterday....thank you for replying.

I hope your insomnia goes away soon!

I definitely have slept less this week after surgery. I tend to get to sleep fine but then wake up around three or so. I can usually fall asleep again after a bit but I really hope it gets better the further I am in the healing process.

I definitely have slept less this week after surgery. I tend to get to sleep fine but then wake up around three or so. I can usually fall asleep again after a bit but I really hope it gets better the further I am in the healing process.

My doctor suggested melatonin...it works!!! It's like 7 dollars and some change at walmart..you should try it!!

post-296370-14703659400838_thumb.jpg

????????????

I had horrible insomnia before surgery. Even taking prescription sleep meds and otc sleep aids, I'd still wake up like clock work 3-4 times a night.

My PCP was convinced I had sleep apnea...she was wrong. Lol.

I thought my first night in the hospital I'd at least get some rest, nope. Everytime the nurse came in I was wide awake. Now that I've been home a few days things are still the same.

Im mostly worried about when I go back to work, pre surgery I could walk in tired and just barely make it thru the day. Sometimes I would get a soda to wake me up, or eat a pack of Peanut Butter crackers.. Now Im gonna be eating way less and missing a lot of nutrients, maybe I should buy caffeine pills. Fingers crossed for the best.

My surgeons office wrote on my paperwork I was having this surgery to help with insomnia... oh how I wish that were true. Lol

It's never too late, until its too late

Hello everyone, I got sleeved on 8/5. Exactly 3 weeks ago. I have recovered so quickly, it is almost ridiculous. I was only really miserable right after waking up from my surgery and the few hours afterwards. I stayed in hospital for 2 days where I was on anti-nausea medication and painkillers. As soon I got home I was able to switch to regular solid  food (which I chew really well) . I love the sensation of getting full and leaving food on my plate. This had never happened before in my entire life! It is so empowering and liberating...

But I can't sleep at night despite keeping active during the day. I have sleep apnea so I continue to use my beloved CPAP machine but I still can't sleep--I go for long walks or cycle in the afternoons. I go to bed around 9:30 PM or 10:00 PM but I am up until 3 AM or sometimes 4 AM, tossing and turning. My insomnia also leads to late night eating. I have eaten nuts and yogurt, feeling very guilty. As a result my weight loss has slowed down. I have only lost 10 lb in the 3 weeks since my surgery (I'm 5.8" and weighed 258.5 on day of surgery. BMI 38).

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Much thanks!