Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have you adjusted to wls life?

I am 3 weeks pre-op and even though I am excited for this change, I'm worried that I am underestimating how hard post-op life will be. I keep telling myself that I can make the required diet changes, but saying and doing are two different things!

I have already made some changes to my diet, reducing calories, increasing Protein and Water, avoiding unhealthy foods, but no matter how hard I try I keep slipping up here and there.

Post-op people, how hard was it to adjust to your new life after wls? How often do you miss foods or feel deprived? How often do you slip off plan?

Sent from my LGLS740 using the BariatricPal App

It is so different after surgery it is hard to compare. You are never as hungry as you were before surgery, your tastes change, you do not feel deprived, I can eat anything and everything and it agrees with me. Well I should not say that, because I have not tried everything and anything, but the things I love I can still eat, You do need to cut back or cut out carbs. I just had a seven week stall, and the scale finally moved again, yay. I had gone back to carbs, mostly bread, Pasta and crackers, not junk, and I think that really caused such a long stall. Also everything I said above ome s from my experiences, everyone is different, good luck, and try not to worry so much

You just have to constantly remember that NOTHING tastes as good as being HEALTHY feels!

Keep a vigilant food log (I keep a running MS Word document going, and track my foods/ Fluid intake on my phone during the day when I'm away from my laptop)

A vigilant, HONEST food log will keep you on track and accountable...On days where I've made mistakes, I've actually gone back and flagged those as "WTF days" (that's accurate and honest, and I've got to keep things real)...I reflect on what went on that day (drama or stress at work, or with family...there is ALWAYS some sort of trigger involved)---and I hold myself accountable for my choices.

Regarding missing foods that we once enjoyed, there are so many credible WLS recipe resources out there --

EggFace is one of the best I've found, since she is "living this"...

I'm still a newbie, being 8 months out...but my transformation and success has simply amazed my family..and me...

I shared my decision to have surgery with VERY few people...and one asked me if I had any regrets, given that the VSG is permanent / irreversible....My very honest answer to her was, 'Absolutely NO REGRETS! ---It is obvious that "my way" wasn't working. The sleeve FORCES me to treat my body right."

....and I feel that way every day. Each morning, everything I put into my mouth is a CHOICE...and I now have a tool 24/7 to make sure that I make the wisest choices....That is how I look at it.---My way wasn't working, so I chose this tool to turn my life around...and in 8 months, I've made amazing progress...a non-obese BMI, wearing clothing that I'd have never worn (or have been ABLE to wear just 8 months ago)...and the health benefits have been such a blessing.

It is a learning process to adjust to having a banana-sized stomach literally overnight, after having a football-sized stomach all of our previous lives.

Make peace with yourself for whatever little mistakes you've made...and make friends with your new stomach...you're in this together...and you'll be fine---

I think one reason I'm feeling so worried is because I feel a lot of "last meal" cravings right now. I have to start my preop diet next week and all I keep thinking about is the food I want to eat this week before I have to give it all up...but I know that type of thinking is NOT going to help me be successful with this.

I don't want to be someone who cheats or constantly eats around their sleeve, but summoning the willpower to say no to the things I want is really a challenge for me.

I think I need to do some soul searching about my priorities and goals and really get my head in the game.

I ate whatever I wanted until I had to start my pre-op. I don't think having cravings means you can't adjust.

If you follow the steps in your plan and eat appropriately, you can easily make the changes. The WLS is the reset button to help you relearn to eat properly and in a healthy manner. If you advance the stages or go back to eating old things you work against the surgery.

It is also far easier to eat healthy will a small stomach

Don't confuse weight loss with maintenance! The weight loss phase is much different than living in maintenance. You have to be strict while losing, but that doesn't mean eating perfectly! Don't set yourself up for a higher goal just because you want to "eat" again. I've been in maintenance 4-5 months after choosing a low BMI goal (23). I eat whatever I want in small quantities and strategically. I also exercise regularly. I track everything on MFP and my daily calories rarely go over 1500. I'm really good at getting in 75 grams of Protein a day minimum. The other macros just fall in and I don't obsess about carbs. We need carbs for energy and without occasionally having some indulgences, I'd go bat sh*t crazy. I've never said I'll "never" have somethings again. I'm choosing to eat like a skinny person and not like someone on a diet.

Edited by sleevenv

I think one reason I'm feeling so worried is because I feel a lot of "last meal" cravings right now. I have to start my preop diet next week and all I keep thinking about is the food I want to eat this week before I have to give it all up...but I know that type of thinking is NOT going to help me be successful with this.

I don't want to be someone who cheats or constantly eats around their sleeve, but summoning the willpower to say no to the things I want is really a challenge for me.

I think I need to do some soul searching about my priorities and goals and really get my head in the game.

I went to therapy (preop) to help deal with emotional eating - hoping it will give me another tool post-op!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Pre op was more tough for me than post op. I day dreamed about every food and flavour I had come across and was dying to have it all at once during the last couple days before my surgery. After surgery, you don't feel hungry as intensely or as often. I am struggling to to eat due to my decreased appetite. I am not used to not always being hungry and I am subconsciously taking advantage of that by purposely not eating when I know I should be.

It will not always be as difficult to refrain from eating all of the food you are thinking of.

I can and I will.