Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A really long plateau....

OK, I dont know how many times in the last year I have said I am getting back on the bandwagon, but this time I am serious.

I lost 80lbs in my first year and then just stopped. I know it is my fault and you wont hear me saying my band has failed or that I dont know why I am not losing weight.

I know why, I eat too much chocolate, plain and simple.

I have good restriction and eat about a cup of food at each meal. It is in between that stuffs me up.

Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate.

I have gone up a few and down a few and I know without my band I would be sooooooo much bigger now. So that is one thing that is awesome, I have never maintained my weight in my life and for the last 12 mths I have.

Anyway rambling on I lost the whole point of my post. What I would like to know is what is the longest plateau you have had and how did you kickstart it again?

Kellie,

I had a pretty long plateau -- about 3 months -- that was similar to what you describe. Basically, I was just tired of making the effort and I started being ok with little bits of chocolate or candy here and there, more nights out at restaurants, not tracking my calories, etc. And you know, it was fine for me. I maintained my weight during that period and I adjusted a little mentally. Then, when I was ready, I went back to the "rules" and lost another 20. Now I'm kind of in the same cycle again. But that's ok. I know when I really want to lose the final 20, I know how to do it. Until then, as long as I make the basic effort (reasonably haelthy choices most of the time + exercise), I know I'll at least maintain.

Kellie, the issue you are having describes perfectly how I use my band. Basically, I have to diet to lose weight, not 'watch what I eat' but diet. Dieting sucks, I've never been good at it and I can't do it all that long at a time, BUT when I am in between diets, I DON'T GAIN so I get to pick up right where I left off. If someone told me before hand that this is how it was going to work for me, I would totally still have done it.

Since my 'plateaus' are mostly because I stop dieting so hard, the jump start is to watch my calories really close and stay around 1100.

Thanks guys.

Sarah, that is so right. I have to diet to lose weight but I can maintain being naughty.

It is good to know at anytime we are ready we can just jump on the bandwagon and start over.

Kellie i have made a very similar post. I too am trying to get sorted out. chocolate and other carbs being my downfall. I have to say that if i cut these out i wouldn't be on a diet though. I eat TOOO much of it to be a part of healthy eating and therefor cutting it out is just getting healthy again.

Today I had my first carb free day which i will continue for another few days till the cravings are gone. I also jumped on the tramp for 10 mins (not much i know but it just baout killed me LOL)which is the kick start to my bandwagon!

Hang in there and it will all happen, thats what i am telling myself and it seems to be working. I have been determined to get my act together for a few weeks and finally got back here to LBT and am now on my way.

GOODLUCK!

Hi Kelli,

I've watched you do so incredibly well at loosing while I slowly gained around 5 pounds but that was because I didn't get a fill for 7 months and I ate nothing but candy and ice cream and chips and clam dip. I didn't get a fill for so long because it was a combo of I couldn't come up with the 500 dollar fill payment (my insurance would not pay anything, now they pay half) and getting an appointment with my doctor is almost imposssible because he is so over booked all the time. Of course before the band I would have gained everything back plus!

Anyhow my suggestion to you is you need a little fill ( I too am ready for another fill). even though you feel your in a good fill space. The last fill I got I was really tight and It kick started me back into dieting. Anyhow thats what I plan on doing once more in a few weeks when I go see my doctor, get it really tight!!!!!

Hi Kelli,

I understand you totally. Im in the same situation right now eating chocolate and sweets, plus much more than I should be eating.

I try to be good today and so far so good, but with me you never know whats going to happen when I come home.

as I realized I tend to overeat when Im angry or sad or just being bored.I need to find some other "activity" than eating.

Lately I have been slacking my excercise as well but Im just kind of burned out cause before I even started eating sweets I hit a plateu and didnt lose although I have been eating right and excercising...

lets make a pact and post each day what we did right and what could have been better:-)

Eva