Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - introduction

Hi everyone,

I was banded on July 13th, 2016. So 3 days post op.

I wanted to introduce myself as I don't know anyone who has the band and I'm hoping for a support group.

I need to lose 50 pounds in an effort to rid myself of sleep apnea and avoid the family curses of breast cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's.

I am married to a gorgeous, slim guy, hence the second motivation for me getting this done, I no longer want to be the far girl with the hot guy! My husband initially fought me on this, but I managed to talk him into it, and now he is very supportive of me and my journey.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Kbarbs

Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well hello there, kbarbs!

Congratulations on your being banded. Welcome to the 'other side'. :-) Like you, I got the surgery to reduce my risk of breast cancer (in my family extensively), Type 2 Diabetes, etc.

Since being banded I have lost 77 pounds, 60 of that in the first year. Woo woo! I have no idea what your starting weight is, and how much you have to lose, but 50 pounds sounds very reasonable as a goal. Every single person is different and will lose at different rates, so be patient and try not to compare your progress too much against other people.

Be patient with the process. You may lose very little initially (first month or so?) and may feel afraid that the band is working. This is normal! Your body needs time to adjust, and of course your band likely has very little Fluid in it at this point. Once you get a few adjustments ("fills") you should notice the difference and the weight will begin to melt away.

Its a pretty amazing thing when it all starts happening.

For now, know that this forum will be a terrific place for you to receive support and encouragement. We've been where you are! Be sure to adhere strictly to the timing and nature of your post-op diet (fluids ... full fluids ... mushies .... soft foods, regular foods...) and try not to rush anything.

Glad to know you!

Thanks theProfessie for such a warm welcome!

I weighed 171 lbs before the preop diet. I am now 159. I am only 5'0" so I need to go down to 110 to be at my suggested weight. But I'll see how I feel.

I will head your advice and ensure that I stick to the proper stage. It is tempting to rush through it but I'm sticking to it... So far.

@@dorriee an Hi there - yep - you will need to prepare for some pain. Totally worth it, BTW. Have some gas-x dissolvable strips on hand. There will likely (not always) be moderate to severe gas pain in your chest and shoulder caused by the surgical necessity of having them fill your stomach with air in order to do the surgery. You might want to a) search this forum, B) google or c) search Pinterest for what you should have on hand immediately following surgery.

There's lots on this forum on this subject - different threads. :)

Hi dorriee an,

The shoulder pain was excruciating but it gets better everyday! The pain from the incisions isn't actually that bad. They are all above my belly button on me so they don't restrict that much. The third day was the worst pain for that. Now they are bruising over so looks like the healing has started.

Good luck with your surgery. This is the beginning of your new life! Happy thoughts!

Edited by kbarbs

@@kbarbs yes it may be tempting to rush through but DO NOT. Take it one day at a time or you risk hurting your healing tummy. Take is slow and careful. Lots of Water, take it easy!

Why is there such pain in the shoulder

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

During abdominal surgery they pump your abdominal cavity with gas so they can see and maneuver better during surgery. This has then travels and often goes to the shoulder area - causing shoulder pain. The best way to get rid of it is moving and walking.