Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor is really laid back and very down to earth so when he explains things and then I come on here I kind of get confused a little. When I spoke with him about how much food I should eat he said:

Dont worry about how much food you eat at a sitting, eat slowly, chew well, and just eat until you feel full and not a bite more. Which I must admit seems to be working pretty well for me. I have never eaten so much that I think I will get sick, or felt ill because of the volume.

I was just wondering how much those of you who have been banded and had a few fills generally eat? My brain cannot comprehend what 4 oz of food is size wise.

I can eat a whole Lean Cuisine. If I got out to eat I can generally eat about half to 1/3 of what I ordered. If I am just standing and eating out of the refigerator I can do about 3-4 bites before I get full. It seems to vary, but with my third fill I am doing GREAT. I do log EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and the amounts, but as far as specific measurements of volume, I don't worry about it. Your doctor has the right idea.

Your doc had the same suggestions as mine, so that's what I do, and that's what I've been doing since having my band filled. I still think I need another fill, but I just eat until I'm full. I also try to eat Protein first, then veggies. Right now at this fill level, I can't eat rice, bread, potatoes, basically anything starchy. I can however eat Pasta, but only a small amount. Maybe 3 to 5 bites...

My doctor goes strictly have volume and calories.

My doctor is really laid back and very down to earth so when he explains things and then I come on here I kind of get confused a little. When I spoke with him about how much food I should eat he said:

Dont worry about how much food you eat at a sitting, eat slowly, chew well, and just eat until you feel full and not a bite more. Which I must admit seems to be working pretty well for me. I have never eaten so much that I think I will get sick, or felt ill because of the volume.

I was just wondering how much those of you who have been banded and had a few fills generally eat? My brain cannot comprehend what 4 oz of food is size wise.

Your doc sounds great as well as realistic. There are no band "rules" there are band "guidelines". What works for one does not mean it will work for everyone.

Rules say: Eat within 20 minutes and when your 20 minutes are done, so are you.

Guidelines say: Eat a reasonable amount of food and get your nutrition in.

If I ate all my food in 20 minutes I'd starve to death. I am a person with a verrry picky stomach and if I ate that quickly I'd get 5 bites in at best.

That's just one of many examples.

Don't worry about what the rules say, follow your docs advice and do what works for you.

I went for my 4th fill yesterday and when the nurse was evaluating whether or not to give me a fill, she asked me if I could eat more than 1/2 of a Lean Cuisine. When i said yes, she said I could have a fill! That sounds like about 4 oz. Does that help?