Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had anyone ever started to feel depressed shortly after surgery? Not sure if it's anything to do with surgery.. but it sucks. I'm going to a bariatric surgery support group tomorrow.

I went through an odd but mild depression in the first couple of months post surgery. it was the hormones. Walking daily helped a lot as walking also has an effect on lifting the mood, and for me it was enough to allow me to function normally. if yours is more serious, do not hesitate to speak to your team about it.

*odd in that I am not normally someone who you would describe as struggling with depression. I'm more of a sunny side of life/glass is full and overflowing kinda person.

@@charley27 I am really struggling with this at times lately :(

Had anyone ever started to feel depressed shortly after surgery? Not sure if it's anything to do with surgery.. but it sucks. I'm going to a bariatric surgery support group tomorrow.

When you get to your support group ask if anyone there has experienced a bout of some form of depression since WLS. I wouldn't surprise me if EVERY post opper replied, "yes".

I believe it's all part of the process including a hormonal flushing. One moment "flying high" --next moment weeping.

All will balance out eventually--for most people. HOWEVER, if you feel you are "stuck", please do not hesitate to seek help. Contact your team/therapist. There is help available--short term or on an ongoing basis.

You do not have to suffer when on what should be a joyous journey.

@@charley27 I am pre-op but I believe this is very common. It's often due to hormones. Don't hesitate to speak to your Dr about this - you may benefit from a short-term anti-depressant. I read this book that helped me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054RXXS0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#navbar

Hope you feel better soon! Stay strong!

I believe it's common. It happened to me too.

Because I needed to rest while healing, my outside activities and social interactions were significantly minimized. Feeling pain also negatively affected my mood. I was also processing the loss of the pleasure food gave me. For me it passed in a few weeks when I was able to have more outside activities and social interactions.

I hope this helps.

Glad to hear it's common. I feel like I'm in the verge of tears a lot - although I'm not feeling sad or depressed. I'm putting it down to the hormonal changes since, like @@Christinamo7 I'm generally quite a happy person.

UCLA man---you said it just as I would have. I have had the exact same feelings. And yes I am experiencing some depression right now at 2 weeks post op. I hope everyone gets to feeling better I'm sure it just takes time.

I was thinking that it could be because lack of activities, but I didn't really do much before surgery. I would eat my feelings but now I cant

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have been successfully medicated for moderate/debilitating depression for 21 years. I'm absolutely terrified of becoming depressed after surgery. My PCP is worried about it for me as well. She has prescribed a liquid version of my current medicine to take during the liquid phase. <deep breath> I pray it works well.

My very best to all of you struggling with it now. May it only be very short term.

I have been successfully medicated for moderate/debilitating depression for 21 years. I'm absolutely terrified of becoming depressed after surgery. My PCP is worried about it for me as well. She has prescribed a liquid version of my current medicine to take during the liquid phase. <deep breath> I pray it works well.

My very best to all of you struggling with it now. May it only be very short term.

That is smart your PCP anticipated the need for a liquid version. I thought my surgical team dropped the ball by not preparing me. They knew what meds I take. My meds were extended release so when crushed the release is immediate which defeats the purpose of extended release. So 2 weeks post op when I reported worsening depression the solution was to crush smaller doses throughout the day.

My experience was the depression went away after I was no longer in pain and able to return to my normal daily activities. I hope your experience is a good one.

I believe it's common. It happened to me too.

Because I needed to rest while healing, my outside activities and social interactions were significantly minimized. Feeling pain also negatively affected my mood. I was also processing the loss of the pleasure food gave me. For me it passed in a few weeks when I was able to have more outside activities and social interactions.

I hope this helps.

Your comment has definitely helped me. We sound very much alike. Five days post-op. Already popped two sutures from doing too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App