Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

My doctor said sometimes it can take a little while for a fill to kick in. (although 4 weeks is a long time)

Some people say they are tighter in the morning. Maybe that's the case with you and the reason you couldn't eat later was because you were irritated after the stuck episode? Maybe try something hot to drink (tea/coffee/etc) before your next meal to try and loosen things up.

I got my 1st fill yesterday in my 10 cc band. He did it under fluro and told me to watch the screen and he explained everything to me. He is just the greatest (Dr. Steinberg, Atlanta Georgia). He 1st numbed me, stuck the needle in (it just felt like a pinch) and put 2 cc in after asking me if I felt full all of a sudden. I didn't really feel full but felt as if I needed to burp. He wouldn't put more in for fear I would be too tight. I was told to do liquids for 2 days and then gradually add food but be very cautious with beef and pork. Well, I've already eliminated that from my diet anyway so no big deal. I had such a headache and was out of Protein Shake earlier so I went to GNC and got a 16 oz bottle of banana creme muscle milk. It was kind of sweet but had 32 grams of Protein that I needed. Afterwards I felt so sleepy and had to sleep it off. But boy when I woke up, I had energy like you wouldn't beleive it!! As far as restriction, I did eat a few fries just to see what it felt like and the only thing I can say at this point is after about 5 or 6 it felt like they were about to get struck or like a golfball trying to pass through. I hope that's the kind of restriction I should have and I hope it lasts.

Thanks for the replies. As my BF and I were sitting here trying to figure out why this might be happening I remembered that I ate some REALLLLY spicy rice just before this whole episode. My nutritionist said that I might not be able to eat spicy food because it would irritate my pouch. I am wondering if this is what is causing it. I have had it for the last two days and the meal after eating the rice always seems to be the worst. I am going to stick with liquids for a few days. Hey maybe I will go back to losing like I did on the liquid diet following surgery. Always looking for the silver lining!!!

Hi some of us have trouble with rice as it tends to ball up. Think of sushi wraped in rice. Perhaps the trouble is the rice itself or may be not, each of us is different. Something to consider.

I did consider it being the rice, but I have had rice before and I didn't seem to have any problems. The only difference between this meal and any other that I have had is the spiciness. And believe me it was SPICY. I haven't had any problems with the smoothies in the last few hours (though I have only had one), so who knows! Any one else had problems with spicy?

Actually I posted a question whether spicy foods are okay as I love them. So far, I haven't had any problems but I had my 1st fill yesterday and haven't had rice since. I did eat about 1/2 of a vegetarian pizza and I kept waiting to fill full but never really did.

wow purplegirl, I saw your pics on the pic thread...you are doing an awesome job! We are pretty close in stats....when I started all of this I was 281, when I had the surgery I was 261 and now I am 246. I was banded 8-20 so a few weeks off from you. Keep up the great work, you should be proud of yourself!

Badonkadonkbutt

I too was banded on 8/20/07 I have lost 13 lbs that is it. I am a lower BMI and wish it was at a faster rate. I have had one fill and nothing. I have another scheduled for Monday. I have 40 lbs to loose. I guess that I thought it would be easier, was I wrong!!!

Ya but keep in mind you are starting out at a really low weight, I think you are doing awesome....I would expect it to take you a bit longer to drop. It will come though and your right, it is much harder than I thought. I wasn't expecting an easy ride but so far I do compare myself with others and their loss so far and it is discouraging

i was banded on the 24th i to had a low bmi and i was very discouraged ive only lost 12 pounds but i just had a second fill and im really feeling the restriction i can only get down a few bites of anything im a little worried its to tight hopefully it will losen up but restriction is what i wanted

i was banded on the 24th i to had a low bmi and i was very discouraged ive only lost 12 pounds but i just had a second fill and im really feeling the restriction i can only get down a few bites of anything im a little worried its to tight hopefully it will losen up but restriction is what i wanted

Nicole, I envy you!! I was banded on Aug 27th and am having a hard time right now staying on track. I haven't lost anything in a couple of weeks. :think

I called the Dr today and I cannot get a fill until 90 days after my surgery. I have an appt on Nov 29th. I really need one now.

Anyone ideas on how to get back on track anyone???

Hi all......

It's been a crazy 2 weeks here......lots of visitors. So, I've done a lot of cooking and entertaining and socializing. Up until this past weekend, I was really able to stay away from all things sweet and/or snacky. Up to this point, I really had no problem with either. But, I started a little cheating and I'm angry with myself. As a result---I don't feel so great....a little bloaty! What the hell is wrong with me???? Of course, I wasn't anywhere near my pre-lb eating fest behavior! But, I've been picking at the leftovers.....especially my world-famous apple crisp! And, I was mindlessly picking on some cheeses that were left over as I was cleaning up the kitchen. Then, at 9 pm last night, I ate 3 mini Almond Joys after I bid farewell to the last of my weekend guests. I need to throw myself back on track. I have an appt on Monday Oct 22.....let's hope it's fill time. If not, maybe I can just get my mouth wired shut until it is fill time.......

I'm really upset with this behavior. Please, someone talk some sense into me. I know I'll straighten up if I someone scares me with tales of terrible things happening to me.......!:help::help::help::help::help::help:

My opinion is we all fall off of the wagon every now and then but look at how far you've come and just forget yesterday. Today is a new day. I actually have built in 1 cheat day, Sundays. I don't go way off the chart but eat if I want. It worked before on a diet I was on so it should work now. Heck , one time about 4 weeks out I consumed an entire bag of bbq fritos. You're okay. Yesterday is gone, start over again.

Somehow I lost contact with other August bandsters. I have been eating things I know I shouldnt. I went on a girls vacation ate wrong and still managed to lose 3 1/2 lbs over about 10 days. I am certainly not back up to my presurgery eating habits, but am afraid I am slipping backwards. I have had 1 fill and am going in 10-22 for the second one. Hope it gives me some restriction, I feel like right now I am using will power only.