Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

My doc and dietician said solid food at 4 weeks when I went in. I found that I started eating less and less when I did that. I've lost 37 pounds so far 14 before surgery, so feel like I'm doing well. The last two weeks have been slow though. But get a fill next week.

By the way, those of you who get surgery in Mexico, how do you get your fills?????

Band Chick, I looked at your journal real quick - it doesn't look like you are getting in much Protein? !

I aim for 70 grams per day. What about everyone else?

Same here Candle........I aim for 70. I was told between 60 -80 is where we want to be.

weight.png

Hello to all. I was banded Aug 7. in Toronto at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre. I am 42 and 5 foot 10 inches. I weighed 353 in mid June during my consult. After the Optifast pre surgury diet I was 330 at surgury Aug 7. Now I am 285 on Sept 18 th. I love my band ! I am an emotional eater and an extreme overeater. The band helps me make better choices at the store. Not to buy whole pizzas or family size bags of chips or Cookies, which I would eat in one night plus my 5 litre a day pepsi habit. I feel good first with the weight loss and second because I know with the band and some fills I will not be able to eat the huge volumes of food that I used to. So hopefully the weight will stay off.

I wish this had been around 20 years ago. I am 42 and overweight , no wife no girlfriend no children and I don't go to dances due to my weight. So hopefully the band will help my mental health also.

I have enjoyed talking with other bandsters and I have learned much.

I am at yobobby100@yahoo.ca

Good luck to all,

Bob

That's true. You caught me. LOL My Dr gave me a hand out that says to aim for 30g a day durring post-op. My nutritionist told me to aim for 60 a day. I've been getting at least 30g a day and sometimes more than 70g. Mostly, like my Dr said, I was just eating for comfort through the post-op phase. Now that I have my fill I will have more choices, eat better and can really get with my exercise! Woo hoo! :whoo:

Candle, how are you getting your 70g in a day? Protein supplements? How are things going for you?

I'm doing well, thanks.

I think they say a woman should get at least 60 grams per day. Protein is suppose to make you feel fuller and keep you away from the bad stuff.

Carbs are my enemy.

I'm still on mushies but I've been eating a lot of protein rich foods and trying to get away from protein shakes/drinks. (although I do have a shake every few days)

Cottage/ricotta cheese, Tuna/chicken/ham salad, yogurt, turkey chilli, eggs, refried Beans, skim milk, etc.

Confessions... ;) I haven't been eating the best quality stuff and even "cheated" a little by starting mushies 2 days early and ate steak a few days ago, but chewed it to a super mush. I have been tracking my food honestly and stayed under 800-1000 calories. I wasn't hungry because I ate a lot of solid type food, which I either blended or chewed to a mush. I was eating/drinking about 1 cup 4-6 times a day. You can view my food diary here: FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for band chick

Brags... I went in for my first fill today and I'm down 27 lbs!!! :rolleyes: Dr Neal said everything was looking good and I can go back to Water aerobics. I got my fill under flouro and had no pain-- I even asked if the needle was in.

So, all my worries about the pain not going away, never being able to sleep on my left side again and not losing were for nothing. It's week four and I'm doing GREAT!:whoo:

Good for you Kathy!! You are inspiration to me. I am on mushies yet but the scale is not doing great things. Down 14 so far. I do get hungry!! Keep up the good work!! :clap2:

hello all,

I was banded on August 4th and have been on solids for almost a month now. I had my first fill 4 weeks post op and had no restiriction. I go in for my scond fill nest wednesday and am hoping that I start feeling some restriction. I know that the band is in place because if I do not chew chew chew food gets stuck. Id anyone else experiencing a lack of restriction. If so, do you think there is any hope to ever feel it? I have lost a total of 20lbs so far.

Hala

hello all,

I was banded on August 4th and have been on solids for almost a month now. I had my first fill 4 weeks post op and had no restiriction. I go in for my scond fill nest wednesday and am hoping that I start feeling some restriction. I know that the band is in place because if I do not chew chew chew food gets stuck. Id anyone else experiencing a lack of restriction. If so, do you think there is any hope to ever feel it? I have lost a total of 20lbs so far.

Hala

Congrats HSH on your 20 lbs! I get my first fill tomorrow and am somewhat nervous about what I'll be able to tolerate afterwards. How are you dealing with the "stuck" food. Are you PB'ing at all? This is the part that makes me nervous. I have heard that the restriction can come as late as the third fill. Hopefully Wed. you'll be able to notice yours!

I don't understand how you feel no restriction but still get food stuck?

Maybe I've just been being super careful in what and how I eat? I've not felt any restriction since day 1 and I can't imagine how something would get stuck? Did you PB or was it just uncomfortable?

Hello everyone...

I was banded on Aug. 28th. I've only lost 13 pounds so far, but I put 1 pound back on the past few days. I don't have much restriction, which I find odd. I have the new band that already has a fill. I have been eating what I think is too much and I sometimes still feel hungry. I know that should go away after my first fill. I think I am ready for one now, but my port site is still very tender. Any suggestions? I've been walking some...not everyday, but I will walk tonight when it cools off some. I can hardly wait to start working out. I hope that will make a difference in the weight coming off.

Good luck everyone.

Hello everyone...

I was banded on Aug. 28th. I've only lost 13 pounds so far, but I put 1 pound back on the past few days. I don't have much restriction, which I find odd. I have the new band that already has a fill. I have been eating what I think is too much and I sometimes still feel hungry. I know that should go away after my first fill. I think I am ready for one now, but my port site is still very tender. Any suggestions? I've been walking some...not everyday, but I will walk tonight when it cools off some. I can hardly wait to start working out. I hope that will make a difference in the weight coming off.

Good luck everyone.

Trivon, i was banded Aug 6th. Had a VG and doc says it was pretty tight to start. Not much restriction to start.

I could eat alot. Had my fist fill ..2cc , oh my gosh! what a difference. I can eat 1/2-1/3 of a lean cusiine and thats it!!! Hard to get used to as its such a small amount it just seems weird!!! Im lovin it though!!!! Hang in there it will get much much better.

Hi Everybody! :)

Everything is going well. My incisions are healing nicely. I just got my 1st fill today. Come to find out I have the smaller band. Who knew?! They put 2.0 cc's in the band. It pinched when the needle went in, but it didn't really hurt. Although, I could definately feel the port afterwards.

Now I'm going to be on full liquids for the next two days and then two days of soft foods after that. Surprisingly, I'm still not hungry even before I got the fill today. When anyway, that's all I have for now. Have a good night everybody!

Hi I am Bob in Toronto. Some times we eat when it is really thirst. I used to drink 5 litres of pepsi each day. I now drink lots of Chrystal Light through out the day.

It helps me a bit.

Bye, Bob

Hi everyone,

Been reading all the posts and boy have we come along way!! I was banded Aug 27th and feel great!! I am down 18 and hope to keep losing. I see my surgeon on Oct 11th to schedule a fill. He is a bit conservative!!

Jody from Jersey

I think I PB"d for the first time yesterday and I haven't even had a fill.

OK, so here's what happened, I had a meeting yesterday about a student that is stressing me out. I missed lunch and was STARVING after the meeting I went and bought some food. I ate really fast, got a golf ball feeling stuck in my throat, and was hiccuping like crazy. I went to the bathroom and with one little cough up came the slimey and yuck food! Has this happened to anyone else? If so, please tell your experience.