Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is something wrong with me?

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Just checking in because I'm starting to worry that my surgery is a fail. I will be 8 weeks out this coming Tuesday, July 19. Almost 40 lbs down. BUT...I can EAT anything. The only reason I know this is because we've been on vacation for 2 weeks. I drink tons of Protein Drinks still, but because I'm so limited on food options, I just "try" a little bit of whatever. So far I've never dumped. Ever. And I even tried a tiny bit of a lemon bar last night at our hotel. I was amazed I could tolerate the little bit of sugar. But now I'm freaked. I don't want to tolerate sugar. Is something wrong with me? I even tried a chicken strip and had like 2 French fries. Ugh. Please be kind.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

While this is all happening much sooner than you may have been prepared for, this is completely normal! No one has the same kind of stringent restriction they had in the very beginning forever. Now it's up to you to continue letting your tool work for you. If you're the kind of person who can't have "a bite of this, a bite of that" without having terrible cravings come back, then just don't even have a little. Keep in mind that a bite of something may not have been enough to cause pain/dumping/vomiting, but it's entirely possible, even probably, that 2 bites of that same food will. I was so worried about these things in the beginning, because I had the same problem. Nothing really caused any issues, with a few exceptions like raw carrots and ground beef. Now, I'm almost a year out and I find that a bite here and there of something not great for me is actually the healthiest way to maintain for me. I generally eat perfectly healthy, with a bite of something I'm craving, and that's all. Then the craving is gone, and I move on. The amount of sugar/carbs/etc in whatever one bite of what I'm eating is negligible. If I were to try to be like I was the first six months post op, I would DEFINITELY fall off the wagon. Sometimes you have to satisfy the craving in a healthy way rather than ignore it until it has far more control over you than it should. Hope this helps in some way!

My best friend has this problem as well. She is 7 months post op and she can eat a like a 'normal' person already. She was starving and able to eat a lot more post op than what the nutritionist and surgeon told her to expect. The surgeon actually offered to revise her bypass and make her pouch smaller and she declined.

It took me quite a while to eat salads. What I did, and frankly still do most of the time, is get a salad with chicken on it and I eat the chicken first and then some of the random veggies on the salad but I still don't eat a lot of lettuce. It doesn't appeal to me much anymore. At least when I'm out. At home, I do have lettuce sometimes but it is definitely less lettuce than I ever used to have. Like I said, I eat the chicken, some tomatoes, green peppers, red onions and I'm very happy.

I'm with esskay77 ....I eat the nutritious stuff on the salad first...I don't like to fill up on lettuce which really doesn't have much nutritional value...some kinds are better then others of course [emoji3][emoji106]

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

It is common to do a little experimentation after surgery. That is how we learn. Some people can tolerate anything after surgery while others have problems and can tolerate very little. Weight loss is achieved during the short weight loss phase through meal volume control. The two operative words here are short and volume. So if you want to maximize your weight loss during this phase, you need to adhere to the program guidelines. I slid into the maintenance phase at 7 months.

At 40 pounds down at the end of 8 weeks, it sounds like a success. One thing to do now at this stage is to assess your Protein intake. Your protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein from your meals combined with the protein from your supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars). Since your meal volume is beginning to increase, that also means that the amount of protein from meals is increasing, especially if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals. Therefore you could be able to reduce your reliance on supplements and the calories they contain. I went from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, then 1 and finally zero when my meal volume increased to 1 cup per meal at a year and a half.

James, your response was super informative and helpful, thank you! Especially while on vacation I've been continuing to drink my premiere Protein drink (30g of protein), because I noticed before I left that I had hit a stall and I think it was due to not enough Protein and Water consumption. So I feel good knowing that if I drink one a day then I'm hopefully getting close to my 60g.

@@KariLovesColorado go for lean meats/cheese, Soups without noodles in them, cottage cheese and yogurt, scrambled eggs, and the like. I wasn't allowed to eat salad until like 3 months out as well, and I still don't eat it often because it fills my stomach up and prevents me from getting in Protein, which I'm only now doing easily. When I crave veggie crunch, I eat pickle slices, banana peppers, or some onions with my lean Protein. It helps a lot to break up the monotony and puts some extra Fiber into my diet.

Thank you again, Cervidae! At home I totally eat everything you mentioned and I'm very strict with what I eat. But while on vacation, I struggle to find appropriate foods. BUT! Tomorrow we're headed home. I just worry about stepping on the scale when I get home. I'm totally a routine girl and being out of my routine has been tough. Thanks again.

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Just checking in because I'm starting to worry that my surgery is a fail. I will be 8 weeks out this coming Tuesday, July 19. Almost 40 lbs down. BUT...I can EAT anything. The only reason I know this is because we've been on vacation for 2 weeks. I drink tons of Protein drinks still, but because I'm so limited on food options, I just "try" a little bit of whatever. So far I've never dumped. Ever. And I even tried a tiny bit of a lemon bar last night at our hotel. I was amazed I could tolerate the little bit of sugar. But now I'm freaked. I don't want to tolerate sugar. Is something wrong with me? I even tried a chicken strip and had like 2 French fries. Ugh. Please be kind.

Only 8 weeks out....you should probably still be on pureed to soft foods as tolerated.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Just checking in because I'm starting to worry that my surgery is a fail. I will be 8 weeks out this coming Tuesday, July 19. Almost 40 lbs down. BUT...I can EAT anything. The only reason I know this is because we've been on vacation for 2 weeks. I drink tons of Protein drinks still, but because I'm so limited on food options, I just "try" a little bit of whatever. So far I've never dumped. Ever. And I even tried a tiny bit of a lemon bar last night at our hotel. I was amazed I could tolerate the little bit of sugar. But now I'm freaked. I don't want to tolerate sugar. Is something wrong with me? I even tried a chicken strip and had like 2 French fries. Ugh. Please be kind.

Only 8 weeks out....you should probably still be on pureed to soft foods as tolerated.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using the BariatricPal App

Oh I do only eat soft puréed food. Mostly Oikos triple zero Greek yogurt, but while on vacation I've "tried" other stuff. Emphasis on tried. Like I said, because I can't find any good food while on vacation, I've been drinking and mostly surviving on premiere Protein Drinks. When I said I tried a chicken strip, I didn't eat the whole thing. Tried. Also had 2 French fries. 2.