Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHo has used Dr. Marsden in Hurst, Tx

OK, need to hear from my fellows here who have used Dr. Marsden. If so, please let me know about your experience; good or bad (but PM me if it's bad). What size band is he currently installing; is it the new APS or APL Allergan lap-band? Thank-you for your caring and time to respond.

Sorry, I haven't heard of this doctor, but mine was Dr. Adam Smith of Ft Worth. Although, my surgery was conducted at the Specialty Surgery Center there in Hurst!

I know people who have used Dr. Marsden and Dr. Smith. Those are the two I am considering. I went to Dr. M's seminar at the Worthington, but my friend who used Dr. S claims that support after the surgery is one of the most important factors. Dr. S. offers a support group in his office, hosted by a licensed psychiatrist. She claims that people who have had surgery through other docs. want to go to Dr. S's support group, but it is only for his patients. She said that other docs do not offer the after-surgery support that Smith does.

I would love to hear back from others who have used either doctor. What do you think of your doc so far? :rolleyes:

Where can I get more info on the sizes and types of bands you mentioned? Are there advantages to one over another? Do most bandsters have a preference?`1! Dr Marsden uses the Inamed silicone band and the size depends on the size of the patient.

Dr. Smith is using the new band. He is super and what I like about him is that he has had the surgery himself (as have some of his office staff), so he knows what is it like to be overweight and also go through this surgery. My surgery only lasted one hour. I came out of anesthesia the best with this surgery compared to others I have had. I was not groggy, didn't want to sleep all day, nauseated or anything! I took my pain medicine the day of the surgery and then the nurse made me take it the next day (which I didn't need to) because we were traveling home which was 3 1/2 hours away. Other than that, that is basically the only time I have had any pain medicine.

Yes, the support groups are very important and I have not been to one yet (being newly banded), but will be attending one in Sept. The psychiatrist highly recommends attending and she as at the meetings. His office has been great!!! I would recommend him to all. His website is: Lap-Band Surgeons: Dr. Adam Smith, D.O. and Dr. Craig Ferrara, D.O. - weight loss surgery doctors

Dr. Marsden was my surgeon. Very nice and down to earth. I had no problems. I was banded in October 06 so the new band wasnt out yet. Why not call and ask?

RE Support groups - AIGB has the support groups once a month and i've heard are great.

Imerritt ... just FYI,

There is J&J who will be releasing their lap-band this year in the US and other Allergan developments down the road. But here is the information on the current state-of-the-art new Allergan AP band it comes in two sizes; a large that is the same size as the Vanuard and a standard which is smaller. I have a Vanguard which has to be replaced because of a leak. So I want to be sure to get the best proven technology. I am not sure of the AP band's track record yet. But it should be like the vanguard and have improved performance in terms of not causing erosion and more forgiving or softer to the stomach by providing more even pressure. You can learn more here:

Product Description

Also in the future Allergan, who in Feb'07 purchased Endoart a Swiss company for their "Easy Band" technoloy, will be training doctors and going into us trials. The Easy band is a non-port type, next generation gastric implant. Here is more information on it:

endoart - > Easyband

Regardless, I want to hear from others who use Dr. MArsden and see what they have to say about him and their bands performance.

Thanks

Judybellyband, Thanks for the links! The telemetrically controlled band is very interesting. I wonder how long it has been around and what its track record is. I know it is new in the U.S., but has it already been in use anywhere else, like in Europe? I'm not sure I would want to be among the first to try new technology. If it is just entering U.S. clinical trials won't it be quite some time before it could get approved here?

You said your band has to be replaced because of a leak. Marsden said that the band can be considered a lifetime implant. I keep reading about slippage and leaks. Is this more common than the docs want to say?

Thanks again!

Oh, let me address the second question first. This is just my view of lap-band world...but I have had a lap-band for 40 months and have read/researched it a lot. It is the exception not the rule that complications like a leak, erroson, or a slipped band does occur. When you read here on the forums about these happening, it is because more of us are more likely to come to a forum to seek support, help or information when it happens. It is a disportionate online group of people who are writting and having this issues. I believe that if you seek the most exsperenced Doctor you can, a slip almost never happens anymore because of the ~3 year method they use where they tac/sew a overlap over the band. Why an errosion happen can be several things like your own body reaction to the added pressure of the band around the stomach, taking NSAIDS, overfilling the band, or consistantly over eatting or vommiting. But the newer bands like the vanguard and the newer AP band are softer/more forgiving than the smaller 4cc model band. Therefore, it's less likely errosion might occur. Now the leak issue sometimes happens more frequently at the port. IF this happens 98% of the time it is because of missing the port and hitting the tube when getting a fill. This is a simple 15 min. surgerical fix because it in the superficial layers above the adomonial wall. The only other issues I know of are a flipped port, which can happen because of a persons exceptionally thin tissue where the port is located doesn't hold before the port has time to "scar or heal" in place correctly, or you get an infection at the port just after surgery.

Now with all that said, I am going for my second band because I know how well it works, how to live with the band and loss weight with it, and I can't be healthy without one. Things happen all the time in life and complications are just part of life. IF they happen, you do your best to deal with the facts and make the best choices you can when they occur....right? Having a lap-band is a tool that is not for those, who are afraid of risk and understand that living with it is not easy. IT is life changing because it takes work and significant changes in what you are eatting. Having the surgery and getting over the surgery is the smallest part of the process (15%). But getting to the correct level of restriction and maintaining that fill level is 70% and then the other part (15%) is your having discipline to eat like a good bander (not putting more pressure on the band than is needed) and excercise. Having a lap-band and making it succussful for you is not easy ...it's just not. But for me, it is the best way to get and stay healthy.

I sincerely appreciate your responce on Dr. Marsden and I hope this helps you to also gain more insight. I like to know going into things all I can. I want you to know that this is a safe surgery that can be reversed or changed down stream. Who knows, we might want this radio control band when it comes through trails in a few years and as we wait for that magic pill. What do you think?

Again, this is my view of lap-band world.

<p>I was just banded by Dr. Marsden and I love him. He is a really friendly, down to earth guy and when you meet with him he actually takes the time to talk to you.</p> <p> </p> <p>I have a friend that was banded by Dr. Smith and he likes him as well. they are both really good dr's.</p> <p> </p> <p>There are a lot of support groups in the DFW area that you can go to, and you don't have to be a patient of the Dr. (I know Dr. Smith limits to his patients only, but there are many who dont). Plus my friend who goes to Dr. Smith doesn't go to his support groups bc he didn't like them.</p>

Oh yeah, he uses the new AP band.

Dr. Smith and his staff are wonderful....I will be banded on Oct 24. I am very excited. Yes when I went for my psych she told me about the support group and yes they are only offered to his patients. Dr. Fuerra is in the same office and he is the one that did Dr. Smith's lap band surgery. Dr Smith banded his nurse Susee and one of the psychiatrist....she is the one I met with and I can't remember her name. A friend of mine at church used Dr. Smith and her surgery time was the same time mine was set for (different dates just same time) at 7 am and she was going home at 9 am

I've just started going to the center in Hurst and haven't chosen a surgeon yet. Because of the mini-seminar I went to that didn't involve a doctor, I can choose from Marsden, Snow, Smith or Carter.

And because of my BCBS of IL 6month diet & exercise requirements program, I have some time to choose which surgeon I want. From what I read, they are all very good. I was told there is a support group meeting at the center once at month that I could attend, but they didn't mention it was available only if I chose a particular surgeon. Is that correct?

I welcome your feedback & comments as to which surgeon to choose! Thanks!

jljeje

Age 55

Weight 248, BMI 43

1st Apt Nov 1, 07

2nd Apt Dec 4, 07

I went to DR. M seminar in Forth Worth on Oct. 20 Lapband Solution Sudmitted my paperwork to insurance comapny today, can't wait for my date with Dr. M