Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I was banded on Aug 15th and I have not done as well as hoped on the thin liquid diet for this week. I have however not eaten anything that was not very very soft. The worst was mashed potatoes yesterday. So, I woke up last night with some pain and figured it was just gas, since let's face it... after surgery it pretty much rules your life. But, this morning I am trying to eat my sugar free Jell-O like a good girl and I have this painful sensation when it hits my new stomach. Any thoughts? I am worried I might have screwed up the formation of scar tissue or at worst, caused a distrubtion of the band.

What do you guys think??? Thanks!!!!!! :help::faint:;)

Well, I haven't had mine yet, coming on August 31st. I imagine that you have produced some soreness from causing your stomach to work to try and digest food. My doc says no soft liquids for two weeks. Why not call your surgeon and ask?

Hi all. I was banded on Aug 15th and I have not done as well as hoped on the thin liquid diet for this week. I have however not eaten anything that was not very very soft. The worst was mashed potatoes yesterday. So, I woke up last night with some pain and figured it was just gas, since let's face it... after surgery it pretty much rules your life. But, this morning I am trying to eat my sugar free Jell-O like a good girl and I have this painful sensation when it hits my new stomach. Any thoughts? I am worried I might have screwed up the formation of scar tissue or at worst, caused a distrubtion of the band.

What do you guys think??? Thanks!!!!!! :help::faint:;)

It is critical that you follow the post-op diet. Most doctors prescribe a post-op diet of weeks of clear fluids, followed by weeks of full fluids followed by weeks of mushy food. My doctor said 2 weeks clear Fluid, 2 weeks full fluids and 2 weeks of mushy food. The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistant to slipping.

Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage.

Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach. Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us. Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction. Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold its position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

I was banded on the 16th of Aug. I would call your doc, but maybe you are eating too fast. (I know..... how fast can you possibly eat Jell-o). I would try to drink more fluids as well. I did eat some Malt-O-Meal which is on my okay list and it wasn't as soupy as I have had, but it went down okay. I ate some Tomato Soup last night and it was kind of painful, but my gas pains were also coming back. Sorry I couldn't be of more help..

my doc said we could move to opague liquids on day 4 post op. I hadn't heard anything about the groove... now I'm worried! I've been eating yoghurt and Soups and even mousse and a bit of ice milk today.I've been drinking Protein Shakes, and I'm only a week out.....yipes.. I don't know what to eat .....

Every Doc seems to give a different post op diet. As a diabetic I certainly could not have lasted on clear fluids for a week. Call the clinic where you were banded to clarify the post op diet THEY feel is right for YOU. Everything I have read suggests that it is critical to your health to follow the post op diet, and that not doing so can lead to very serious and unpleasant situations.

my doc said we could move to opague liquids on day 4 post op. I hadn't heard anything about the groove... now I'm worried! I've been eating yoghurt and Soups and even mousse and a bit of ice milk today.I've been drinking Protein shakes, and I'm only a week out.....yipes.. I don't know what to eat .....

Assuming that there ate not chunks of solid food in the Soup, you should be fine.

hi i went on to yogart and Soups the next day after my op and was given it by the hospital i was fine as long as you eat slowley and only eat what you can manage you will be ok i had my op on the 16th june 07 and have lost nearly 3 stone and yes i was very sore for about a month after the op i had my first fill on the 16th july and had 5cc this was very tight to begin with but i am fine now and just about to go or my second fill

Hello All, I just had my band yesterday. Not to scare anyone, but I am in some pretty good pain, only when I breathe!! Is that normal? I really don't think I have done anything, maybe just expected to go in and run a marathon afterwards by what I have read. I was lucky to get right out but it hasn't been a picnic, the last thing I want to do is eat. Am I just a wimp?

Hi MissKrystal,

I seem to have the issue in the moring where I am unable to have solids until my band "opens". I think this may be what you are experiencing. Try having a warm liquid (Water, coffee, what ever fits your current point in your dr prescribed diet) to help loosen up the band. It works for me some days and on others, I just can't eat solids until after noon.

Good luck,

MMT

Hello All, I just had my band yesterday. Not to scare anyone, but I am in some pretty good pain, only when I breathe!! Is that normal? I really don't think I have done anything, maybe just expected to go in and run a marathon afterwards by what I have read. I was lucky to get right out but it hasn't been a picnic, the last thing I want to do is eat. Am I just a wimp?

Hi,

You have several incisions into your abdomon. Pain is NORMAL.

I recommend taking the painkillers your doctor prescribed, and if they are not reducing the pain to a manageable level, I recommend you call the doctor and get stronger painkillers.

What is Malto meal??

I was banded on the 16th of Aug. I would call your doc, but maybe you are eating too fast. (I know..... how fast can you possibly eat Jell-o). I would try to drink more fluids as well. I did eat some Malt-O-Meal which is on my okay list and it wasn't as soupy as I have had, but it went down okay. I ate some Tomato Soup last night and it was kind of painful, but my gas pains were also coming back. Sorry I couldn't be of more help..