Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

My surgery was on June 28th and so far everything has went fairly well regarding my recovery. I am definitely still healing and not at 100% quite yet, but I'm anxious to get out of my house more often and be more active socially, at least for a start. I'm 21 years old and struggling to figure out how to adjust my lifestyle to my current needs as I am recovering and forming new habits. Specifically, I'm looking for advice regarding how to keep up with Vitamins and Protein requirements while still going about my normal day. How do you guys keep up with a busy lifestyle while maintaining the requirements needed for your recovery and health after surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations on your surgery.

When it comes to keeping up with Vitamins and Protein, I suggest that you plan everything out on your calendar. Did your surgeon or NUT give you a recommended Vitamin schedule? It is important that you plan it so that you don't take some Vitamins together and that you do others. Whether you are working and/or in school, a calendar is invaluable.

@@Inner Surfer Girl great advice.

I sat with NUT and made a schedule for when I should take Vitamins and the combo. Based off of that schedule I used it to schedule what time I would do Protein drinks and later on I worked in my meals ( I am still eating out of 2oz cups, 3 times a day.). I also have a very active lifestyle so it is easier for me to plan out my day. I pack what I need for the day in a small tote and I also keep a small cooler in the car.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm only four days out but I've downloaded the Baritastic app. It has a timer for Vitamins and Water reminder. I have to use it but it looks like it would be compatible for someone like me who always has her phone nearby.

It has been a struggle for me. Planning out Vitamins, as others have suggested, helps big time. Also planning out meals, like suggested.

The biggest thing for me has been tracking it. I use the fit bit app but there are a lot of others. Spark people used to let users create daily goals, like taking Vitamins. Tracking my Water and food really helps me!

Trial and error. Not the fun thing. Let us know what works for you.

Best of everything!

Forgot to say that egg face blog is helpful too.

I used to be the person who skipped Breakfast, pulled three back to back shifts and ate whatever I could get my hands on. Sometimes that was two chocolate bars for a meal and sometimes three burgers because who knew when the next time I would come across food would be..

Ever since my surgery, I make sure that I eat every couple of hours. I carry Protein shakes in my backpack so if I don't have a prepared meal with me or suddenly I am hungry and away from my carefully arranged fridge, I am not starving myself or grabbing something from fast food. I make sure that the meals I have outside my house are absolutely healthy choices because that is something I can control. At work, I have to eat what I have rather than trying to sneak something unhealthy here and there..

I don't work crazy shifts either. As a result, my insomnia as will as the constant Migraines are gone. I don't need to chug on coffee all day so I can have the energy to carry on with the day... And any time I am distracted, I look back at the pictures of myself in that hospital gown. I hate hate hate hospitals. And I hated that gown. No amount of ice cream of cheese is worth laying in a hospital bed in one of those things.

Oh, as for the Vitamins.. I take the chewable ones but lots of them to match my needs. I put the amount I am supposed to be taking in a day in a tiny bag in my pocket and chew on them through out the day. Vitamin c separately from the others but as for the rest, as long as I take them through out the day and not all together, I am good.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

Edited by Lema

I used to be the person who skipped Breakfast, pulled three back to back shifts and ate whatever I could get my hands on. Sometimes that was two chocolate bars for a meal and sometimes three burgers because who knew when the next time I would come across food..

Ever since my surgery, I make sure that I eat every couple of hours. I carry Protein shakes in my backpack so if I don't have a prepared meal with me or suddenly I am hungry and away from my carefully arranged fridge, I am not starving myself or grabbing something from fast food. I make sure that the meals I have outside my house are absolutely healthy choices because that is something I can control. At work, I have to eat what I have rather than trying to sneak something unhealthy here and there..

I don't work crazy shifts either. As a result, my insomnia as will as the constant Migraines are gone. I don't need to chug on coffee all day so I can have the energy to carry on with the day... And any time I am distracted, I look back at the pictures of myself in that hospital gown. I hate hate hate hospitals. And I hated that gown. No amount of ice cream of cheese is worth laying in a hospital bed in one of those things.

Oh, as for the Vitamins.. I take the chewable ones but lots of them to match my needs. I put the amount I am supposed to be taking in a day in a tiny bag in my pocket and chew on them through out the day. Vitamin c separately from the others but as for the rest, as long as I take them through out the day and not all together, I am good.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

You made perfect sense to me and this is great advice!