Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week Post Op HELP!

I'm new to the forum and just recently had Gastric Sleeve surgery on June 21. Since the surgery, I have lost 12 pounds. I'm having trouble adjusting to the new way I have to eat my food. I've always been an overeater, one of the reason I had the procedure. I would like to know any suggestion that I can use to avoid overeating or boredom eating.

I've been through this before with my Lap Band back in 2011. I had great results but I had a terrible diet. ( I was 22 at the time and still living on my college campus). In 2012, the band slipped and I became very ill. After my removal in 2013, I vowed if I had another procedure, I would do it differently.

I hope someone out there can offer some kind of advice. I went in it alone without much support last time, don't want to do it again.

Congratulations on your 12 pound loss! That is great. Really, the only advice I can give is to stick to your doc's plan. Don't fill your house with yummy, tempting foods. Find food that you like, but healthy:) Eat SLOW. 1-4 minutes between each bite. Put the fork down every time. It sounded silly to me but once I started doing it, I could feel myself get "satisfied" and not finish off the plate because I knew I was "full enough". We aren't supposed to eat until we are full anyways. I was like you too, though, with the overeating. I always measure out 1/2 cup portion and use a small bowl or small plate. I also use toddler spoon/fork to help me take smaller bites. It's really all about finding out how to listen to your body. As with any change, it can be scary, but it is SO worth it. Good luck to you!

Hi there and congratulations on your new tummy!

The best advice I can give you is to measure everything especially in the beginning when it is hardest to tell if you are full.

Your surgeon likely gave you his guidelines for how much to eat. You really don't need any more than that so get out the measuring cups and the food scale.

Use a small salad plate instead of a regular size plate. Use baby spoons and forks and pay attention while eating. As someone else said, put the fork down in between bites and chew your food. It takes 15 minutes or something like that for your brain to catch up with your stomach.

Eating slow was the hardest thing for me but I learned how to do that and now it's amazing how much less I eat because i can recognize the fullness. That comes from being mindful and taking your time.

Best of luck to you!

I'm only about a week ahead of you. (Surgery was June 13th.) I, too, have always been a fast eater so I need to consciously tell myself to slow down.

One thing that helps me is something the other posters suggested--using a small spoon and a 2 oz. cup as a plate for now. I found some disposable "tasting" spoons at a local restaurant supply store. Measuring my portion with a scale and using the small spoon really makes me take a small bite. And then I wait between bites so I can stretch out my meal time to 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great job on your loss so far!

I agree - slow and steady wins the race. I'm another band -> sleeve revision, and had the exact same experiences which made me want to do the revision. I'm getting used to measuring stuff now even during the full liquid diet... it's kind of nice because it makes it easy to keep track.

I am a newbie also (9 days in) but I recognise the boredom eating and there is a big gap for me there too. I think one key to success is to try and change your routines so there is something else to fill the gap - both on a temporary and more long term basis. Distract yourself so food is not the only thing you are thinking about. Start a new activity or join a club. Visit a place you haven't been before. Create some new experiences and things to think about. Have a look at what is going on in your community and go to some new events. Eg today I am going to go for a long walk with a visit to an interesting exhibition at the end

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App