Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Girly thing! Can't take a pill/ help!

Help!! Advice needed!!! My girly thing is here and having heavy cramps and can't take a pill ... But i need to midol. Any advice. Should I crush it and put it in milk?? Or something ...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It is risky to take NSAIDs after RNY. Midol contains ibuprofen.

My surgeon said I can take NSAIDs occasionally, but I waited 3 months to reduce the risk of ulcers. Now I am taking a few low doses (300 mg) of ibuprofen at that time of the month, but it is still risky, and I am going to be following up with the doctors soon to see if this is really ok to do every month, I really can't function at all without the medication, so it is a risk versus benefit situation.

The main risk is you can get a marginal ulcer from taking an NSAIDs, mainly after RNY, although sleevers still may have risks.

You are better off taking just acetaminophen/Tylenol and you can purchase liquid for children and take the big kid dose. II tried crushing an alleve once and the taste made me really sick. Ibuprofen is pretty nasty too. If you can't get by on Tylenol which is usually ok post wls, I suggest calling your doctor.

Edited by NewAngela

I take 20mL children's liquid Tylenol for cramps a few times a day.

I can't offer you a solution for the short term, but mine were always awfully painful. After surgery and 4 months of being in the fetal position with a heating pad on my back and my abdomen, I got an IUD, which I did not at all need for birth control (my husband had s vasectomy) and it has been miraculous! You may want to consider it. I did try the Depoprovera shot but was terrified of the weight gain side effect.

Already thank you for all the advice!! Everybody. I do take children's Motrin with a crushed up Excedrin in it once a day for Migraines. I have had severe Migraine since my surgery was done. It is weird everyone says to don't take the Motrin ibuprofen stuff to my surgeon recommended me to take the Motrin. He Said if it works that's what matters.

Already thank you for all the advice!! Everybody. I do take children's Motrin with a crushed up Excedrin in it once a day for Migraines. I have had severe Migraine since my surgery was done. It is weird everyone says to don't take the Motrin ibuprofen stuff to my surgeon recommended me to take the Motrin. He Said if it works that's what matters.

Mine said to take a PPI with ibuprofen products to help reduce ulcer risk. Not sure how that works but just letting you know in the event that it is helpful to research further. I have also heard to take it with food. Personally, I don't take ibuprofen products anymore because when I had my scope done pre-op, I saw the damage to my stomach lining that ibuprofen products had caused. However do I miss how effective NSAIDs are for pain.