Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm feeling very frustrated and down, not many people understand why either. I started the process for surgery for the third time insurance issues and a move out of state stopped me the other two). I went to my pcp in May and had labs drawn, my hemoglobin was 8. The surgeons office was concerned and said with those numbers I wasn't a good candidate for surgery, I don't disagree.

Fast forward to now, his nurse wanted me to get labs redrawn this last week so we could see where I was after taking Iron twice a day. My hemoglobin was 6.3 and I had to have 2 units of blood transfused Thursday. I spoke with the surgeons office Friday, to let them know. I'm still going through with the program, with the understanding it could all be for nothing. If I can't get my level to a 10 and maintain, surgery is out.

So, I know my issue. Tmi, I had two cycles that lasted 9 days each 16 days apart (after my first blood draw). I called my pcp the last time, I was worried since I was having symptoms (fatigue, headache, shortness of breath, pale) and she said to just take it easy, being the stubborn person I am, I didn't push harder. All of this to say, I'm worried/scared. I want this surgery more than anything right now, I'm afraid of not being around for my children as they grow and I need this tool to help me. My family doesn't understand, "just eat better and work harder," because that's worked so well in the past.

I'm seeing a different Dr. next week to try to get everything sorted out and under control. I just had to get it off my chest where others understood and didn't tell me I was wasting my time. I know now, not to let issues slide. I was in denial and just wanted it all to be ok.

Sorry so long.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I guess I am missing something. What is causing your low hemoglobin numbers (or blood loss)? Can this condition be corrected by medication/surgery? Many times through the pre-op diagnosis process, problems are identified, then corrected, then the weight loss surgery occurs. So I think you are at a stage where the underlying issue needs to be corrected.

There was a man in our Bariatric Surgery Support Group who was scheduled for surgery the following week. He was called in by the surgeon because his pre-op results showed he was about to have a heart attack. He went into the hospital and had open heart surgery. When I saw him the next time at the meeting, he had lost a little weight due to the bypass operations and once he recovered was schedule again for his weight loss surgery.

My mother suffered from low hemoglobin numbers. She go so weak that we had to take her into the emergency room and she received a blood transfusion. After testing it was determined she was bleeding internally. My mom suffered from constant pain and as a result she used excedrin for it. But excedrin uses a high amount of aspirin (a blood thinner). And she had been popping these like candy for several years, and this finally caused her internal bleeding. We took her off the excedrin and her blood loss stopped and her hemoglobin numbers came back. This has been several years now and this problem has not reoccurred.

I do understand your frustration! when I went in for my pre op testing they found a medical issue that was either cancer or an infection or an auto immune disorder. I had to have months of tests and dr visits before they finally decided to let me proceed with WLS. and only then because they think it is probably the auto immune one. still don't know for sure.

All you can do is continue to try to resolve the underlying medical issue and then move forward - it is hard to keep up hope, boy do I know it, but I can tell you it is WORTH it to get to the other side.

I guess I am missing something. What is causing your low hemoglobin numbers (or blood loss)? Can this condition be corrected by medication/surgery? Many times through the pre-op diagnosis process, problems are identified, then corrected, then the weight loss surgery occurs. So I think you are at a stage where the underlying issue needs to be corrected.

There was a man in our Bariatric Surgery Support Group who was scheduled for surgery the following week. He was called in by the surgeon because his pre-op results showed he was about to have a heart attack. He went into the hospital and had open heart surgery. When I saw him the next time at the meeting, he had lost a little weight due to the bypass operations and once he recovered was schedule again for his weight loss surgery.

My mother suffered from low hemoglobin numbers. She go so weak that we had to take her into the emergency room and she received a blood transfusion. After testing it was determined she was bleeding internally. My mom suffered from constant pain and as a result she used excedrin for it. But excedrin uses a high amount of aspirin (a blood thinner). And she had been popping these like candy for several years, and this finally caused her internal bleeding. We took her off the excedrin and her blood loss stopped and her hemoglobin numbers came back. This has been several years now and this problem has not reoccurred.

I have very heavy periods, and I had two bank to bank that lasted 9 days instead of my normal 4. I lost a lot of blood. I'm anemic normally but my levels were critically low. In short I have 3 months to get my levels up to where they need to be and maintain them and it's going to be a real challenge. I'm frustrated with my body.

I have very heavy periods, and I had two back to back that lasted 9 days instead of my normal 4. I lost a lot of blood. I'm anemic normally but my levels were critically low. In short, I have 3 months to get my levels up to where they need to be and maintain them and it's going to be a real challenge. I'm frustrated with my body.

@@CardinalsGirl

I also have irregular cycles, however I solved the problem over a decade ago by using depo as my birth control. If you aren't trying to have kids right now and you aren't contraindicated for any other reason, maybe ask your doctor for a switch to depo. You get one shot every three months, which you can give to yourself, and you no longer have a time of the month. While the idea is that it's for birth control, it also works very effectively if you're having extended irregular bleeding. Unlike oral contraceptives, depo is also not contraindicated for surgery so if you are taking the pill already, the switch to depo allows you to stay on birth control when you are approved for the surgery as well, so double win.

I haven't had a time of the month in probably a decade. When I was in my early 20's I wasn't using depo for bc so I'd forget to take it for a month or two and then I'd have a few days of the lady friend visiting, but now that I have a doctor that prescribes it so I can just inject myself, as long as I have the shot on schedule, I no longer have any monthly cycle. I also have periodically had anemia issues, and in addition to never having a time of the month I take B12 and an Iron supplement. My values have been fine since.

Hi - do you have an OBGYN that you are being followed by for the heavy periods? I too suffered from heavy periods and was anemic, but nothing like what you are going through. I'm sorry this is happening to you. There have got to be some options for you I would think. Be an advocate for yourself and see what is available and what might work for you...I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

I would definitely get with GYN and see what other options are available. I had the same problem but I didn't have my periods close together. I couldn't give blood because I was anemic and I would literally be exhausted during that TOM. I was told by my doctor that unless I was having them like you are (back to back and for more than a week) that as I aged (I was in my 40s) that it was somewhat normal. I was also heavy and the doctor said that the extra weight was also a factor as well.

I had your same problem only worse. I ended up having a hysterectomy but before I could I had to get an Iron infusion which brought my blood and Iron levels up fast and allowed me to have my surgery without even needing a blood transfusion. So look into getting an iron infusion. You will want to see a hematologist first this.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I see an OB next Thursday, going to see about getting on bc to help lighten my cycles. It scares me that I won't be able to get my levels where they need to be, not only for the surgery but to feel better also. We want another child, but not for a couple of years.

I had a simliar issue regarding heavier than normal blood loss during period causing severe anemia. It can be resolved with a good ob/gyn.

In my case I was done having children so I opted for a hysterectomy.

Do yourself a favor and don't put a time limit on when it has to be resolved. Most Bariatric teams will work with you to get the problem resolved. They don't just kick you out at the end of the monitored diet. If your surgery gets pushed off a month or two it really isn't the end of the world as long as you are healthy going into this. It is such a big physical transformation that you need to be as healthy as humanly possible. I know my own 6 month program actually took 9 months before I got into surgery.

Is your Bariatric team telling you at the end of the 3 months if you are not healthy enough to have the surgery you are out? If so, you might find a new program. I am guessing you are putting that time limit on yourself but I could be wrong.

I also caution those that put timelines to their goals. So many assume that they can lose all this weight by a certain date and it doesn't always work that way. It took me exactly 18 months post surgery to lose all my weight. Honestly that time went so darn fast and my body had a hard time catching up. Also, worse yet...my brain is still not caught up.

This is a huge body and mind transformation. Take it slowly and safely.

Keep us posted on your progress. I hope they get to the bottom of this quickly for you.

I had super heavy periods when I was on blood thinners, my Gyne did an endometrial ablation (cauterized the lining of my uterus) and I have not had a period since. Of course I don't know if this is contradicted with getting pregnant but you could ask.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm feeling very frustrated and down, not many people understand why either. I started the process for surgery for the third time insurance issues and a move out of state stopped me the other two). I went to my pcp in May and had labs drawn, my hemoglobin was 8. The surgeons office was concerned and said with those numbers I wasn't a good candidate for surgery, I don't disagree.

Fast forward to now, his nurse wanted me to get labs redrawn this last week so we could see where I was after taking Iron twice a day. My hemoglobin was 6.3 and I had to have 2 units of blood transfused Thursday. I spoke with the surgeons office Friday, to let them know. I'm still going through with the program, with the understanding it could all be for nothing. If I can't get my level to a 10 and maintain, surgery is out.

So, I know my issue. Tmi, I had two cycles that lasted 9 days each 16 days apart (after my first blood draw). I called my pcp the last time, I was worried since I was having symptoms (fatigue, headache, shortness of breath, pale) and she said to just take it easy, being the stubborn person I am, I didn't push harder. All of this to say, I'm worried/scared. I want this surgery more than anything right now, I'm afraid of not being around for my children as they grow and I need this tool to help me. My family doesn't understand, "just eat better and work harder," because that's worked so well in the past.

I'm seeing a different Dr. next week to try to get everything sorted out and under control. I just had to get it off my chest where others understood and didn't tell me I was wasting my time. I know now, not to let issues slide. I was in denial and just wanted it all to be ok.

Sorry so long.

Okay, I was low on red blood cells before my gastric sleeve. I had several blood transfusions. After, my sleeve had a hysterectomy. I feel so much better. Life moves forward and I have no regrets. My suggestion work with your doctors.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App