Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am five months post op right now. For the past two months I've noticed way more hair falling out than usual. I read a lot of information about it, and it seems most common to lose hair between months 3-9 post op. I am not going bald, and it isn't terrible, but it is somewhat annoying. I mostly notice it when I brush after the shower - no huge clumps, just tons of hair falling out. When I straighten it/curl it/ use heat products I really notice it coming out. The one day my hair actually tangled my toe lol.

I wouldn't trade losing 85lbs to have my hair back. This means a lot coming from me because I am what some would call "vain". I've always loved my hair. It is long and was thick. I am not cutting it, I absolutely refuse. Honestly, no one can even tell it's thinned except me. I am hoping the worst is over, and that it will start to slow down a bit since ive been losing for two months. One thing to note is that it is pretty sporadic - one day I wont lose any, but the next I cant wear a black shirt without it looking like I got a haircut.

Honestly though, if I had to rate it on a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 5, on the worst day. Generally it's more like a 3. Totally worth the surgery. I even enjoy it being a bit thinner, as I've been able to cut down on heat styling and wear it natural since it's thinner, it looks less "poofy".

Oh and to add: I didn't take Biotin or anything. Just the regular vitamins/supplements recommended. I kept using the same Shampoo as always, and didn't do anything special. My thoughts were, whatever happens happens.

Edited by provenzee

My hair didn't really "fall out" as much as it just 'thinned". I would guess it was months 4-6. I am just shy of a year now and my new growth is curly!!! I got out of the shower the other day and noticed ringlets. I have had several people ask me if I got a perm. Umm, no. Just some MAJOR renovations...no perm. I didn't change anything, take anything, just my Protein goals and Vitamins. It is what it is, and nothing you can really DO about it. It is all part of the whole process and effects most of us.

My hair started to fall out at about 4 months, I'm 6 months out. I'm an overachiever on my Protein intakes so I knew that wasn't it. I was told by my doc that it was going to fall out no matter what and the Biotin would help with the regrowth but was not a preventive measure. My hair is naturally curly, crazy thick, and was down past my bra strap. I had golf ball size clumps falling out in the shower and my style started to look bad because of the thinning so I chopped it all off. 10 inches worth. The clumps are now quarter sized and I leave strands of hair everywhere. Lol. I'd say in the beginning while it was still long it felt like 10,000,000,000 on the scale of severity but it really was more like a 4. The new cut really disguises the thinning. After I did mine two other women in hospital where I worked that are a few months further out than me did the same thing. All though their hair is already growing back a new cut does wonders to hide the thinning. We buy new clothes to showcase our new and improved selves so why not a new do?

I lost probably a third of my hair. I cut mine quite short. Ten months out, it has all grown back, so it was only short lived.

It is very concerning watching your hair fall out!

noticed hair loss in brush about 4 months out. each brushing and Shampoo I lose a hand full. i also have processed hair, which I'm stopping. I have fine hair but an adequate amount. how long does this last? starting taking hair,skin,and nail Vitamin 2x/day in addition to Multi-Vitamin. also take an Omega 3. I haven't been faithful in tracking Protein, but am adding a daily Protein Drink. any other recommendations? shampoo's etc. I'm a band to sleeve patient, did not have this with the band. losing slowly, 1-2 lbs per week. weight loss is slower when I started eating regular food. had a lot of nausea in the beginning so Protein probably was low. Thanks

i'm 6 months out and I had no Hair loss at all. I have relatively thick long hair so maybe it wasn't noticeable but as long as your take your Vitamins and Calcium you should be fine (if you want to take an extra Biotin it would help too).

I am four months out and as of about 3 weeks ago, my hair has started shedding tremendously. I am about to the point where I am just going to cut it off. It's become unmanageable.

I'm bit over 6 months post op. Did not have any Hair loss. If anything, my hair is healthier and thicker.

Hope it stays this way.