Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I increase my protein this way?

Not sure if this makes sense or not. I am looking for a good unflavored Protein supplement. I am about done with these Premier Protein shakes, I am newly sleeved and still on the liquid diet. While I am drinking enough liquids I was wondering if I could half the Protein Shakes and add a serving of unflavored Protein powder. So lets say the premier shakes are 30g each. If I drink only half it would be 15g. Can I add more Protein to that 15g to increase it without having to drink the rest?

I would SO prefer to drink more Water and less of these thick shakes if I can.

Edited by reachbree

Yes, but keep the total Protein grams 30 or under for your serving -- there is a limit to how much protein the body can absorb in a short period of time. Try to cram too much protein in there and you'll just be wasting your money!

Do you have to use Premier shakes? I found the fruit-based and tea-based Syntrax Nectar flavors better, and you can mix them with Water, making them much less thick and sweet. Plus their numbers are better than Premier (calories/carbs/protein). Unjury chicken Soup protein was another one that was easier for me to get down than the super thick, sweet Protein Shakes.< /p>

I like GENEPRO unflavored protein!

30g per serving, and just adds a milky taste to what you mix it in, and you can mix it with anything!

​I recently discovered a nice treat.....Kroger KarbMaster Protein smoothies....lactose free. YAY. It's a nice snack treat.

As always, please check with your bariatric team before deviating from your plan.

You're sounds doable, but your own team knows your plan and you better than we do on an internet site.

Check with them and then please post and let us know what they said.

Happy experimenting!

Usually whatever works for you to get your daily Protein in is workable, just check with them first.

:)

Yes, but keep the total Protein grams 30 or under for your serving -- there is a limit to how much Protein the body can absorb in a short period of time. Try to cram too much protein in there and you'll just be wasting your money!

Do you have to use Premier shakes? I found the fruit-based and tea-based Syntrax nectar flavors better, and you can mix them with Water, making them much less thick and sweet. Plus their numbers are better than Premier (calories/carbs/protein). unjury chicken Soup protein was another one that was easier for me to get down than the super thick, sweet Protein Shakes.< /p>

I don't think there is a limit to how much protein the body can absorb, there is a limit to how much it needs for muscle repair. The rest goes into energy. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb

@@reachbree - I still mix some unflavored in my flavored mix. That is just personal taste. I also add a little unflavored to my yogurt.

My nutritionist suggested doing this if we were struggling.

I've found that GENEPRO in broth is the best way for me to get my Protein in - 30g of Protein in 4 oz of broth is definitely doable a few times per day.

GENEPRO is my go-to unflavored Protein too!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up a container of nectar, peach, orange....While it smells like the pink antibiotics I grew up taking...it taste ok, I really like the thin consistency of it! This evening I tried mixing it with ice because I wanted a smoothie or slushy consistency but it turned it into an ice mess. So mixing with plain Water is probably what it will be for me.

Thank again.

All Protein shakes are too thick and sweet to me. You need the fluids anyways, why not dilute the premier 50/50 with milk. thats what I did. Gave me 22oz of Fluid and 38g of Protein and I took at least a couple hours to drink it. I also like Syntrax nectar protein powders. But those, too I use twice as much Water as instructed so they aren't so sweet.

Another life saver for me was adding unflavored Protein powder to broths and pureed cream Soups. A great break from all the sweet shakes.

Yes, but keep the total Protein grams 30 or under for your serving -- there is a limit to how much Protein the body can absorb in a short period of time. Try to cram too much protein in there and you'll just be wasting your money!

Do you have to use Premier shakes? I found the fruit-based and tea-based Syntrax nectar flavors better, and you can mix them with Water, making them much less thick and sweet. Plus their numbers are better than Premier (calories/carbs/protein). unjury chicken Soup protein was another one that was easier for me to get down than the super thick, sweet Protein Shakes.

I don't think there is a limit to how much protein the body can absorb, there is a limit to how much it needs for muscle repair. The rest goes into energy. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb

@@reachbree - I still mix some unflavored in my flavored mix. That is just personal taste. I also add a little unflavored to my yogurt.

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery website says...

Q: Can I take all of the protein in one dose?

A: Protein should be taken in multiple doses, across multiple meals or healthy Snacks. The body cannot absorb more than approximately 30 grams at once. Also, protein is a nutrient that helps us feel fuller, longer. If we try to include Proteins in each of our meals or healthy Snacks, we’re less likely to feel hungry when it’s not time to eat.

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

My Dr made very clear that the body can only absorb so much at one time. There is a reason we take Vitamins apart, not just because some of them interact badly with each other.

@@OutsideMatchInside - There does seem to be an upper limit of Protein absorption in terms of break down of the amino acids and utilization for muscle growth. This does not mean that going over 30g is bad or it is wasted. That would make no sense from an evolutionary standpoint when you think of it.

spotmebro.com/layne-norton-phd-on-protein-how-much-and-how-often/ I think this article nails it.

Now if you want to look at this from the article @@OutsideMatchInside mentioned, yes, absolutely, you are going to get the most bang for the buck get up to 30g per meal spaced out 2-3 hours. And there are people who's body doesn't absorb Protein well and they really need to pay attention to this. Esp. those with certain liver problems.

For the average WLS patient, trying to get 30g in a meal would be tough to do if you are doing this with meat. Since most of the digestion of shakes occurs in the lower intestine, knowing that your shake is going to quickly pass through your sleeve, if you have a healthy liver, having a 40g shake isn't going to hurt you. Anything the body can't absorb for muscle, will be used for other purposes.

Four ounces of steak is approximately 30g of protein, but none of this is perfect. It depends on the steak, fat content and preparation. And then the rate of absorption is going to depend on the individual, age and activity.

So I totally agree, best to break this down in single meals, spaced out through the day. But going over 30g with a shake, is nothing to worry about (except for the rare liver disorders and they should know who they are) and not a waste.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up a container of nectar, peach, orange....While it smells like the pink antibiotics I grew up taking...it taste ok, I really like the thin consistency of it! This evening I tried mixing it with ice because I wanted a smoothie or slushy consistency but it turned it into an ice mess. So mixing with plain Water is probably what it will be for me.

Thank again.

Never smell your Protein drinks. You won't get them down if you do!

OP could just switch to Syntrax Nectars which are Water thin and easier to drink and solve all of this. There is more variety and while they are sweet, they are not sickenly sweet. Well not all of them. And like Kindle said, you can make them with more water so they aren't as sweet.