Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A contiouns pain in neck and shoulders

Hello to All of you out there..

I was banded on July 21st., everthing was normal until after 48 hours of my surgery.. suffered form a very very bad pain in my back neck... and it affected my shoulders...

I have read some of the responses of the July group, and they all said it is because of the gas they pumb in you... and that it will go after 10 days max....

I it is now 1 month... the pain is still there... and it strengthen more after any extra effort..

I asked the Doctor, and he had now answer....

Pls. Pls. Pls.... does any of you specially the ones who have been banded serveral months ago.. have suffered from such symptoms..?..

I had my first fill this Satruday the 18th... he filled 1.75... I am doing ok.. but the pain in my neck... is just driving me crazy...

Pls. Pls. HELP

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Sorry, I don't have much info to offer except to say that if it's really bugging you then don't stop asking your doctors. If your lap-band doctor doesn't know the answer then go to your regular doctor.

I know I experienced nerve damage in my leg during my lap-band surgery because of the way they had me positioned on the OR table...perhaps your issue is related to the OR table as well? I'd imagine your head gets tilted back at a strange angle during surgery to keep your airway open so perhaps that pinched a nerve or something???? I hope it feels better soon!

Hi! I was banded awhile back, I suffered so much from this, and I tried everything! Everyone says rolaids and anything that’s a gas aide. None of these worked for me. Finally when I figured out how my body responded to each aid I ended up doing the same thing until it stopped.

Most people say they stop feeling these symptoms after 2 weeks or so. I had it for SIX weeks. I cried so much because the pain was so intense. Eventually I found out that it’s a combination of things. First of all, remember your stomach is a grumpy lil patient, anything disrupts it! The first gas is usually what they pumped in you to expand your stomach. The other is the gas you internally are creating because of the changes inside. Your insides are irritated from the foreign object you just put in. causing gastritis, I suppose…

The bubbles travel up your diaphragm pinching nerves and causing the tightness you feel which ends up hurting. My resolution was: I used suppositories(spelling ?) to relieve when I had some big-time gas, this gave me some relief when the gas was really intense. Secondly, every time I got ready for my liquids and soft food, I took a few drops of beano and if it still didn't work I'd go straight for the good stuff, charco pills (or charcoal). The powder in this pills fills the gas bubbles, and dissolves them same things goes for baking soda. Mix a tablespoon in an 8oz cup, this helps with the gas and the acid levels, they use this for food poisoning as well, it traps any food or gas.

Finally don't eat any dairy products, these are brutal, at least for me it was. Watch your diet carefully. Carry some rolaids just in case (if it works for you) hope this helps somewhat!

Banded 12/20/07

Dr. Huacuz

Pre-opt weight 196

Current weight 145 (reached within 6 months)

1st fill 02/10/07 .5cc

2nd fill 04/14/07 .5cc

3rd unfill completely 07/13/07

weight.png

I was banded on May 17, and find I still get the pain sometimes. What really helps me is working out. A brisk walk always seems to do the trick.

Thank you verymuch for your response, I was dieing for some one to answer...my doctor was so negative with me, and I am sure it was because of the surgery....

Ok... well... I geuss I have to live with it till its' over.... but what makes things hard is that after the fill it is not easy to take pills......

pls. support me to survive eating and drinking after the fill.... when I see that some of you got 5cc. from the first fill, I get horrified, I was filled 1.75 and still is afraid of drinking Water or any kind of liqudes... I am afraid of eating... after he 4th or 5th bite I fell showeked and a huge pain in my stomack, I don't know how am I going to get used to it... sometimes, I feel like missing the liquids diet, at least you drank and never was in pain.....

What is making things bad I guess... is that I am used to drink a lot of Water (more than 2-3 big bottles), and now I am affraid to take a sip...

Pls. Kaboom help from your experience... you have been band for a long time...

Wen to be honest I am taking a lot of pain killers... I am fed up, I have to go back to work this Sunday... I am an administrator at a school... and time has come to go... I still feel tired if I am out of the house for more than 2 hours. and can't really move my neck to the sides comfortabley and completely.... I did X-rays for my neck and everything is normal....

Kaboom do you advise me to go back to gas-X?

thanks guys

:think

I had shoulder and neck pain so severe last night I called my doctor. It was really bad because I had gotten tuna stuck and had way too many pb's. He told me to go to er and get xrays. They took chest xrays and did a ct scan. They gave me morphine which just made for alot more pb's. Anyway, got through the night and it ends up that I wasn't noticing the signs that I was full and my esophogus inflammation was somehow causing the shoulder pain. Now i'm on all liquids for a few days again. Hope this helped!

Maria,

Pre-bander here, so I can't comment with respect to neck pain and the band, but I do have significant experience with neck pain generally. I can go to bed fine and wake up unable to turn my head (I've obviously slept in an odd position.) I have a terrible time finding the right pillow. Is it possible that your neck pain is unrelated to the band? If so, you might consider having your family doc refer you for a little physical therapy. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Unfortunatly... it is because of the operation, I never had this before. It started after 24 hours of the surgery.... I was much more painfull the first week, now it is less in 50%, but still have it... I guess it is because they had my head in a wrong position on OR table....

I have asked my Dad's frined who is very well known surgeon here, he said some people get this for about 3 moths....

I do hope it doesn't stay that long.... today is my first day of inservice at school.... and by Sep.9th... school will start... I am the head of the IT department and I teach at the same time....

But still fatigue... so.... I need prayers....

Is it your right or left shoulder? My doc said the right schoulder should hurt, and it is my left. He is sending me fo a berium swallow on monday. I was banded Aug. 15. This neck and shoulder pain are killing me.

It's my right shoulder dear.... the pain is coming from my back neck to my right shoulder.... it is painfull, I can't turn my face to the right... I feel like a robot...

I am trying to get an appointement from a Neurologist

... I am really worried...

As for the left shoulder sometimes I do feel a spasm, I guess it is because of the port.. as they fix it on the left side...

a normal pain killer doesn't do anything to me... my husband who is an ER doctor had to give a shot yesterday... I was in so much pain...

If I get to see the Neurologist today I will post his response, I know one think is that I did X-rays and my neck was normal...

Here things are more flexible than the States... you can go and see the doctor on the same day when you want to....

is it possible to send me a copy (if it is electronic) or a link to the info you have about a right shoulder pain???? PLS.:huggie::):):)

I am so sorry for your pain. I had a massage today and it felt wonderful. I still have some pain, but not as much. I see the Dr. tomorrow I will let you know what I find out.

JP