Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

you know the saying "if I had known I was going to live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself?"

well. talk to the doctor about all your options, but please don't rule out surgery as you may live a lot longer than you think, and if you can keep the weight off, you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of those years, no matter how many there are.

Very few weight loss medications are actually safe and effective from what I've heard, nor are appetite suppressants. You'd be best off asking your doctor. But as far as your age, there are some older people who have had sleeve or bypass, so you're not necessarily alone in that venture.

Hope you can find the answers you're looking for!

I am 61 an had the DS loop in May. I am happy because the incision sites were small and I am so much better. Walking, breathing and just generally healthier. My biggest problem is gas. I understand it is common to have this with the DS loop. If you have the Sleeve done you may have more years left than you think.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using the BariatricPal App

HI I have a appointment to talk with bariatric doctor about gastric sleeves soon but I'm old I'm 62 I don't need anyone cutting my stomach now I don't have that many years left so I am thinking about weightloss medication and being supervised they offer that so I'm gonna talk with doctor what I need to know is whats good and safe and does it work

I was 62 when I had my bypass and have had no problems!! The lack of energy was a little longer for me because I fell and broke my wrist which they had to operate on 2 months prior to the bypass. It's harder to recover from 2 General Anesthetic as you get older!! I've lost a total of 126 pounds and look younger!

HI I have a appointment to talk with bariatric doctor about gastric sleeves soon but I'm old I'm 62 I don't need anyone cutting my stomach now I don't have that many years left so I am thinking about weightloss medication and being supervised they offer that so I'm gonna talk with doctor what I need to know is whats good and safe and does it work

I've been on phentermine 37.5 mgs every morning they really don't help that much.

I am also 55 and I'm having the sleeve I use the diet meds pre-op to try and help me lose weight pre op but they really don't help much.

As for medications, I had success at first with phentermine in college (when I was slightly overweight, but not obese), but it then caused insomnia, anxiety, hair loss and a host of other problems. My endocrinologist refuses to prescribe it anymore. The only doctor I know of in the LA area who does prescribe it requires that you come in every week and jump through hoops and pay high fees in order to get it. A friend had tried Xenical and said it was a miserable and costly experience. I'd definitely read through reviews of any medications you're considering in advance to read about the potential complications and side effects.

As for the OP's age - I don't think you're too old at all. My friend's 76-year-old grandmother had VSG because her weight was causing such severe pain in her knees and joints, and her diabetes was becoming increasingly severe. She did have it in Mexico after being denied by insurance due to her age, but did extremely well. (I also had surgery in Mexico and had a terrific experience.) She's in her 80s now. She's traveled the world since having surgery, most recently to Ecuador and Antartica. She said she's making up for the lost time when she avoided travel due to a lack of stamina, and the embarrassment she felt flying when she was larger.

There are people who live into their 100s, so you could have decades ahead of you. Regardless of how much time any of us have, what's important is that we live rather than just exist. Don't sit on the sidelines when you could be in the game.

I’m 57 years old and I have no regrets getting the sleeve. Best thing I ever did.

And I am 72 and having a RnY, come on with me & we will show these young'ens how it's done. And we will do it with the Grace and class our mammas instilled in us. I'm a Buckeye, if I can do it surely the Southern Belles and the New England ladies of pioneer stock can do it as well! As the late Bette Davis said "fasten your seat belts, its going to be a bumpy ride!"[emoji12]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 65 and had no problem getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on 11/30/20. In fact very little pain except the incision where the cut away part is pulled out. Mine is still a little tender but not an issue. I don't trust weight loss meds.

Sent from my SM-J337V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/27/2016 at 7:10 PM, James Marusek said:

I am 3 years post op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am 67 years old. I had the surgery because my condition of being overweight was destroying my body. I had developed high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea and GERD. All those conditions were resolved shortly after surgery. I physically now have the stamina that I had when I was in my 30's. For example during each of the last couple years, I moved over 100,000 pounds of gravel and concrete blocks by hand for one of my home building projects.

Good for you James. I am 56yo myself and my bypass surgery is scheduled for Jan 12. I am so looking forward to losing some of this weight so I can actually exercise and enjoy walking without being in so much pain. I am very happy for you.

1 hour ago, RhondaHigdon said:

Good for you James. I am 56yo myself and my bypass surgery is scheduled for Jan 12. I am so looking forward to losing some of this weight so I can actually exercise and enjoy walking without being in so much pain. I am very happy for you.

Good luck on your surgery!

I had an endoscopic gastric sleeve at 61. It’s all done endoscopically and they don’t cut out any part of your stomach, just stitch up a sleeve. I actually had very little discomfort and have no bad side effects.

On 6/27/2016 at 5:15 PM, Kaze said:

Very few weight loss medications are actually safe and effective from what I've heard, nor are appetite suppressants. You'd be best off asking your doctor. But as far as your age, there are some older people who have had sleeve or bypass, so you're not necessarily alone in that venture.

Hope you can find the answers you're looking for!

I checked with my doctor and she said I had to many things going on medically especially high blood pressure meds