Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date set!

Hello everyone

I cannot believe I got my call today and surgery is set on the 19th of July. I'm so nervous but so excited. If anyone has advice or any tips for me please pass them along.

Congrats! I'm nearly a year out from my surgery, yet I too can still vividly recall the sheer joy of finally receiving a set surgery date. My RNY surgery was on 07/29/15, and I can say with absolute conviction that it was worth every single hurdle I had to clear in order to get here. I have already reached my weight goal and I have zero regrets!

My advice to you is, if you haven't already, start preparing yourself for the incorporation of a healthy lifestyle. Rid your house now as a pre op of anything that might tempt you as a post op, and begin an exercise regime. It's not going to be easy, I won't lie, especially over the first few months. Your mind is going to play tricks on you, the head hunger will be at an apex, and you'll probably going to face issues about body image along the way. I still "feel" fat most of the time, even though I know in my head and via the scale that I'm not. Luckily I took extensive "before" shots and kept a video journal so whenever I'm in doubt I can just go back and remind myself of exactly how far I've come. It's so important that you take full body pics and measurements of yourself, I can't stress that enough.

You're going to feel like you've been given a whole new body, without an instruction manual at first. You may even have moments of buyers remorse. That's perfectly normal. We all go through that stage. Just keep your eye on the prize - a healthy life - and you'll be fine. No two wls experiences are ever the same, so resist the temptation of comparing your progress to someone else. It'll only drive you mad. If you're someone who is overly fixated on the number on the scale then just throw it out, only weigh yourself at your doctor's visits or once a month. Don't allow yourself to impede your own progress by expecting too much too soon. Just like you had to go through an extended pre op process to get to surgery, post op is a journey all on its own and it'll take time. Be patient. Surround yourself with positive support. Commit to a whole new healthy relationship with food and exercise and you'll be great!

This surgery has changed my life for the better in so many ways, and I feel blessed everyday that I was able to do it. I'm sure you'll feel the same.

Good luck!

Congrats! I'm nearly a year out from my surgery, yet I too can still vividly recall the sheer joy of finally receiving a set surgery date. My RNY surgery was on 07/29/15, and I can say with absolute conviction that it was worth every single hurdle I had to clear in order to get here. I have already reached my weight goal and I have zero regrets!

My advice to you is, if you haven't already, start preparing yourself for the incorporation of a healthy lifestyle. Rid your house now as a pre op of anything that might tempt you as a post op, and begin an exercise regime. It's not going to be easy, I won't lie, especially over the first few months. Your mind is going to play tricks on you, the head hunger will be at an apex, and you'll probably going to face issues about body image along the way. I still "feel" fat most of the time, even though I know in my head and via the scale that I'm not. Luckily I took extensive "before" shots and kept a video journal so whenever I'm in doubt I can just go back and remind myself of exactly how far I've come. It's so important that you take full body pics and measurements of yourself, I can't stress that enough.

You're going to feel like you've been given a whole new body, without an instruction manual at first. You may even have moments of buyers remorse. That's perfectly normal. We all go through that stage. Just keep your eye on the prize - a healthy life - and you'll be fine. No two wls experiences are ever the same, so resist the temptation of comparing your progress to someone else. It'll only drive you mad. If you're someone who is overly fixated on the number on the scale then just throw it out, only weigh yourself at your doctor's visits or once a month. Don't allow yourself to impede your own progress by expecting too much too soon. Just like you had to go through an extended pre op process to get to surgery, post op is a journey all on its own and it'll take time. Be patient. Surround yourself with positive support. Commit to a whole new healthy relationship with food and exercise and you'll be great!

This surgery has changed my life for the better in so many ways, and I feel blessed everyday that I was able to do it. I'm sure you'll feel the same.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm nervous but so excited. ????