Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved 7/13. I've been getting random bouts of nerves/panic. For example, I was just at costco looking at Protein powder, shakes, etc planning what to buy and that seemed to set it off. Is this normal?

It's not about the actual surgery, I think it's just knowing that my life will never be the same and not knowing what to expect. I feel like no matter how much I prepare and research there's no way to be 100% prepared for what post-op will be like until I'm going through it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel like no matter how much I prepare and research there's no way to be 100% prepared for what post-op life will be like until I'm going through it.

This is always true, whether you have surgery or not. You are never 100% prepared. You'll have a learning curve but you will, overall, do just fine. Your life will be immeasurably better as a slim and healthy person, though, no matter if there are a few bumps along the road to get there. Good luck!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved 7/13. I've been getting random bouts of nerves/panic. For example, I was just at costco looking at Protein powder, shakes, etc planning what to buy and that seemed to set it off. Is this normal?

It's not about the actual surgery, I think it's just knowing that my life will never be the same and not knowing what to expect. I feel like no matter how much I prepare and research there's no way to be 100% prepared for what post-op will be like until I'm going through it.

The fear of the unknown is always nerve-wracking and scary. Yes thing any of us can do is listen and follow the plan the surgeons lay out for us. Good luck!!

Just prepare your self for the unexpected. I am one month post. My surgery was fast. They took me back at 7:45 by 10:30 I was in my room. The first thing waking up was the gas pain. As soon they let you get up and walk I would say do it. Even if you hurt it will help a lot with that gas pain. I felt so much better after they had me walk. Just remember it is all temporary it will get better and you will fell normal. I was off my pain in less then a week after.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess the good news is, I've had such a shitty week that I'm no longer nervous and just ready to get this show on the road.

Keep us updated once you have your surgery:) I am in the same boat as you, I have days that I am soo ready and other days I'm a hot mess !!!

Keep us updated once you have your surgery:) I am in the same boat as you, I have days that I am soo ready and other days I'm a hot mess !!!

Honestly I'm not even nervous about surgery anymore, it seems like the least nerve racking thing in my life right now. This weekend is my last hurrah of sorts, I turn 30, and my friend is taking my on my first cruise, I start the pre-op diet when I get back. But this past Friday, a week before my birthday, I came home and found my dog had passed away. Without going into details it was pretty gruesome and traumatizing and I'm honestly just numb about everything right now. I had my pre-op check in over the phone with the hospital today and I just felt nothing. No excitement, no nerves. Just nothing.

I'm so sorry about your dog. I lost my dog last year -- and even though the circumstances were peaceful at the end, it was still one of the worst periods of my life. I can't imagine the trauma you must be feeling. (((hugs)))

I am so sorry about your dog:( I will keep you in my thoughts and can't wait to hear how well it goes! Happy birthday!!

Thanks, y'all. It's been so so hard. He was the BEST dog and I just feel so guilty that I wasn't there, that he was alone, and I guess all the typical could've would've should'ves. My other dog, Beanie, he seems to be doing ok. Anxious and excited look the same on him so it's hard to say though. He's gotten lots of toys and treats and snuggles, he even got a thunder shirt to help with the anxiety while we figure things out (he's sporting it below). I'm just so nervous to leave him for a few days, he's like my security blanket at this point. The friend that's watching him will treat him like he's her own, I know he'll be loved while I'm gone but it doesn't make going on this trip any easier. At least my mom will be here soon for my surgery and i know "grandma" will take care of him during my overnight stay. post-140122-14672502247128_thumb.jpg

Edited by abuckeyeleaf