Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Singing after gastric sleeve?

Hi there! I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am hoping to have my surgery sometime this summer. I am also a professional singer, and I am wondering how the surgery might affect my ability to perform. I know that I will have to take it easy for a few weeks, but does anyone have experience with this? Is there any reason to think that I physically would not able to sing after about two weeks?

I perform with an acoustic band, so I wouldn't be jumping around on stage. LOL.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, I certainly can't speak to singing as my singing was just as bad pre-op as it is post-op (just ask my wife :P ), and everyone will heal at a different pace, but I couldn't see why you wouldn't be able to sing just as well as before.

As with any surgery, there are certainly risks and I would encourage you to speak with your surgeon about them before doing the surgery.

If it's a question of "breathing", I can tell you that personally, I have had more endurance and have been breathing much easier post-op...especially after sessions of being active.

When in doubt, ask the surgeon!

Best of luck to you!

I do not sing professionally - but I do sing a LOT and play the flute. I haven't done any choral singing since the surgery, but I expect I would not have any problems at this point, and plan to do some Christmas choir of some sort either community or if my Church has a Christmas Choir.

I have noticed no difference in my range or quality of my voice once I got past the initial post op period. use your spirometer and it will give you a good indication of when you are back to your normal.

Thank you SO MUCH! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will definitely ask my surgeon about it.

I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I've heard that my singing might actually improve somewhat because I'll likely be able to maintain better breath/diaphragm support. I hope so, because I love music a great deal. Please post after you're healed up, and let us know how it goes for you :-)

My ability to sing was not impacted by the sleeve. I'm almost three years post-op and my voice is the same if not better than it was before surgery if mostly because I have better breath regulation. The only reason your voice might be impacted at all is immediately after surgery because you were intubated. The surgery is short and the tube is in for maybe an hour-ish, but your throat might be dry and a little sore afterward. Generally the rest of you feels so crappy you don't care much about your throat, but in terms of vocals, that's really the only point that your ability to sing would be lessened.

Thank you, again, everyone! I really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes!