Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contact Angela Willis - she's the Program Manager.

Oh. I know that name. I was just digging through my stuff to find cards to start calling. That she is coordinator is equally concerning since she is the one I have had the vast majority of problems with.

I tend to agree with you. I don't want to cancel surgery because, from a purely technical aspect of the surgery, he is a great surgeon and has excellent success rates and low complication rates.

Find out who the Director of the Program is! Incompetence should not be tolerated. I have seen completely incompetent people running major Programs in hospitals.

I am definitely on it. Like I said, knowing that she is the coordinator is that much more concerning so I'm finding numbers and making lists. As soon as I am done with teaching, I'm starting in with the phone calls.

Wondering how things are going for you, and if you decided to keep your surgeon or move on?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well the stress of this along with added complications from them on top of other stressors, work and family, led me into a crisis and my therapist made the decision for me. I am under orders to be off work and not be left alone for at least a week to try to recover from such a meltdown and only avoided a hospital stay because of family willing to ensure I am not alone.

I have had bipolar since I was 19 (9 years) and the stress of dealing with this group sent 2 years of stability down the drain. I plan to file a formal complaint with the hospital because, though my resulting mental state of course wasn't entirely their fault,surgery is stressful enough and their incompetence should not be allowed to continue. Had I not had the external support system in place (therapist, psychiatrist, husband, mother, and support at work), I may not be typing this now and not everyone is blessed with this luxury. While I am done with this hospital, I hope at least making it a formal issue maybe will prevent this from happening to someone who didn't have the support system to keep them from doing something stupid.

I have wanted this surgery for a very long time (my mother had bypass done when I was about 13 and I have wanted it ever since).

I imagine I will pursue again in the fall with another hospital, but for now I am taking some much needed time to get my head on straight and recover from everything.

I so appreciate everyone's advice and especially checking in on me, virtually a stranger, just to see how this was going.

I will definitely be around the forum and hopefully on the road to a surgery where I am more comfortable with all of you soon.

You are putting you're life in there hands. If you are not 100% confident in the team or the process you absolutely need to go elsewhere. Surgery is a small part, you need structure and support, this seems to be lacking at your current clinic. This isn't a quick day surgery, this is a complete lifestyle change. You have every right to be fully informed and mentally prepared for this. It doesn't sound as if these people are concerned with anything but getting you in and getting your $$. Please do research and consider going elsewhere. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Regardless if you go to this surgeon or not, he needs to know how his practice is being ran. It will cost him patients at least, and at worst, complications in a patient or a lawsuit. Preferably in writing, so he can get all the details together later.

Consider to at least consult with another surgeon, you may find someone you like as much, but whom is more organized.

Well the stress of this along with added complications from them on top of other stressors, work and family, led me into a crisis and my therapist made the decision for me. I am under orders to be off work and not be left alone for at least a week to try to recover from such a meltdown and only avoided a hospital stay because of family willing to ensure I am not alone.

I have had bipolar since I was 19 (9 years) and the stress of dealing with this group sent 2 years of stability down the drain. I plan to file a formal complaint with the hospital because, though my resulting mental state of course wasn't entirely their fault,surgery is stressful enough and their incompetence should not be allowed to continue. Had I not had the external support system in place (therapist, psychiatrist, husband, mother, and support at work), I may not be typing this now and not everyone is blessed with this luxury. While I am done with this hospital, I hope at least making it a formal issue maybe will prevent this from happening to someone who didn't have the support system to keep them from doing something stupid.

I have wanted this surgery for a very long time (my mother had bypass done when I was about 13 and I have wanted it ever since).

I imagine I will pursue again in the fall with another hospital, but for now I am taking some much needed time to get my head on straight and recover from everything.

I so appreciate everyone's advice and especially checking in on me, virtually a stranger, just to see how this was going.

I will definitely be around the forum and hopefully on the road to a surgery where I am more comfortable with all of you soon.

I'm glad you are focusing on you and getting better and you have the right support in place to help you get better. Once you're in the right place to start looking at surgery again you'll know more about what type of program will work best for you......I wish you all the best!!! Keep us updated on how you're doing.

When you are ready to proceed, you could consider the bariatric team at the Loyola University Medical Center at 719 West North Avenue, in Maywood, Illinois. They are on the Gottleib Hospital property in a separate small building close to Wendy's.

Their main number is: 1-708-538-6733

They did my sleeve in December 2013. The whole team is top notch and treated me very well.

My bariatrician was Dr. Jessica Bartfield, nutritionist was Ashley, then Lauren, my pych was Dr. Wool, and the surgeon was DR. Bipan Chand. Here is some info on him:

https://www.loyolamedicine.org/doctor/bipan-chand

The team is coordinated, efficient, and kind. Since I live in a far south suburb of Chicago and traveled an hour for my appointments, they stacked appointments for me so that I could see everyone on the same trip. My recovery was textbook and not bad at all. They kept me informed and prepared for each new step in the process.

I wish you good luck and good health.

@@Krystenaj I am so sorry you are going through some difficult times. Thankfully you have the support needed. It's probably best that you didn't go through with the surgery anyway - the emotional aspect of post-op is very difficult in typical situations. Hope you are doing better soon! Many prayers! Stay strong!

Edited by KristenLe

@@Krystenaj

If I still lived in the city and had the free time for their trillion pre-op appointments I would go to the program at Northwestern. They were well organized and rigid. They do provide good results. They were on my list of places I could go but time is money and I didn't have the time to waste that they require.

Univ of Chicago is expensive and overrated and not a very good member of the community to their surrounding neighborhood. I could write a book about what is wrong with them, but...

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Wow. My surgeons office was a hot mess at times too. The surgery went great. My blood pressure was spiking the next day so they kept me another night. I found out later no one called my daughter or my neighbors who were picking me up. Nada. They were very worried and no number to call. Who thought they would need it. Was unfortunate. The confusion before surgery made it no surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally get it. I started this process with a program in Oregon. The patient/insurance coordinator there was very organized in the way everything was handled. I moved out of state midway through, and am now with a program in WA state. They seem to be far less organized, but the surgeon here has more experience and a better record in terms of complications. I was in such a quandary as to whether to go back to OR or have it done where I now live. I've decided to go ahead with it here, but only because of the surgeon.