Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will WLS work if the problem isn't overeating?

Like the title of the thread says, will WLS work if the reason for being overweight isn't from overeating? I don't overeat but I definitely choose the wrong foods.

Nope. If you still eat the "wrong" foods, no surgery will help you lose weight and keep it off. Success after WLS is mostly about the mental/emotional/psychological changes you make and very little about the changes your surgeon made.

And if you have already made those changes, (eating the right foods and controlling your portions, even in the face of stress and depression and celebration and everything else life throws at you) then there is nothing more surgery would do for you.

I'm going to say this again... I am fully committing to WLS. I am planning 100% to change what I'm eating (in fact already have) and will not sabotage the surgery.

Sorry if I sound snippy but I feel like people aren't actually reading my words.

Yes.

We read.

If you are going to fully commit to WLS then your original question is a moot point.

Think about it......

You know what, you're right. I think I'm concerned that even eating better choices and in small amounts isn't going to be enough. I've been fat my entire life (weighed 100 lbs in first grade), it's hard to imagine that anything will ever change that.

I'm going to say this again... I am fully committing to WLS. I am planning 100% to change what I'm eating (in fact already have) and will not sabotage the surgery.

Sorry if I sound snippy but I feel like people aren't actually reading my words.

Yes.

We read.

If you are going to fully commit to WLS then your original question is a moot point.

Think about it for a few seconds......let the term "fully commit" sink in. You've answered you own question. :D

Yes.

We read.

Think about it......

You know what, you're right. I think I'm concerned that even eating better choices and in small amounts isn't going to be enough. I've been fat my entire life (weighed 100 lbs in first grade), it's hard to imagine that anything will ever change that.

I shared those concerns, too.

There are likely many, many old habits to break away from and a few basic good habits to adopt that will protect and shield you from the bad habits ever returning.

@@WitchySar

You are still trying to convince us that you were actually eating 7 chips and not over eating. Not many people are going to believe that.

You are tracking your food now and saying you aren't losing weight and barely getting enough calories in. So that has been the case you whole life? You ate 1000 calories a day for the past 42 years and got to 368?

You know a bunch of fat people aren't going to believe that...

The only time I've ever successfully lost weight was when I followed strict Atkins. I ate over 2500 calories a day on that diet and lost almost 150 lbs in a year. But I lacked the will power to STAY on it. I'm seeing surgery as being the tool I need to not start eating crap again. I'm certainly not going to sabotage myself after going to such extremes. But yes, I lack the will power myself to never eat crap again unless I have another tool in place.

Ok, I didn't read all the posts but I do agree with @LipstickLady. For me, it was sort of a reset button. You will hear over and over that surgery is on your stomach not your brain but I was SO determined to make it work this time especially after all I went through to get the surgery (and a complication afterwards) that the "willpower" became easier than it was pre-op. And all the new habits (weighing and measuring food, tracking intake, exercise, fluids, Vitamins, etc.) you put in to practice really help limit those "choices". Have I made some bad choices post-op? Yep but they are much fewer and further between and mostly thanks to my therapist who helped me realize and work through some tools to make better choices and "crave" a healthier lifestyle. PLUS once you start losing, it is so motivating to keep going and making good choices.

So I am not sure I explained myself very well. I have tried to explain this to many people and I can never quite get there. Yes, the surgery is a tool and it is on your stomach not your brain, but somehow, if you put in the effort, the brain joins in the process...

Ok, I didn't read all the posts but I do agree with @LipstickLady. For me, it was sort of a reset button. You will hear over and over that surgery is on your stomach not your brain but I was SO determined to make it work this time especially after all I went through to get the surgery (and a complication afterwards) that the "willpower" became easier than it was pre-op. And all the new habits (weighing and measuring food, tracking intake, exercise, fluids, Vitamins, etc.) you put in to practice really help limit those "choices". Have I made some bad choices post-op? Yep but they are much fewer and further between and mostly thanks to my therapist who helped me realize and work through some tools to make better choices and "crave" a healthier lifestyle. PLUS once you start losing, it is so motivating to keep going and making good choices.

So I am not sure I explained myself very well. I have tried to explain this to many people and I can never quite get there. Yes, the surgery is a tool and it is on your stomach not your brain, but somehow, if you put in the effort, the brain joins in the process...

That's how I see this too. Yes the surgery is going to be on my stomach but it's a drastic step and I have no desire to sabotage myself. Right now, today, what do I have stopping me from eating crap? Not a whole lot. It's been my entire life basically. But after surgery what will I have to stop me? I'll have the knowledge that I was committed and serious enough to alter my body to make it work. That's a pretty strong tool, IMO. I need a boost to my willpower and I see the surgery as being that tool.

Well I've been tracking my foods and I struggle to eat enough calories in a day. Even my thin husband comments on how little I eat. So it really isn't Portion Control I have a hard time with, just the choices. I know that after putting in all this work and pain to have surgery I'm not going to want to sabotage it so I think it'll help me make the better choices for what I need to eat. I just needed to hear from someone else that this really will help. :)

What I have found post-op is how screwed up my diet was based on years of dieting. Pre-op, it was all about maximizing volume and minimizing calories.

Now, it is about maximizing nutrition and minimizing volume.

It wasn't until I started this process that I learned how important Protein is to my health. I spent decades living in carbs. No wonder I was almost 600 pounds.

Yeah, Protein vs carbs. That's a bit of retraining my body needs. When I ate low carb years ago it was awesome. So much Protein, I felt great! But after getting off that there were days when I'd eat practically no protein at all. Carbs were life. I gained it all back, plus a little more. (It took over 10 years to gain it back, but it did come.)

@@WitchySar

You are still trying to convince us that you were actually eating 7 chips and not over eating. Not many people are going to believe that.

You are tracking your food now and saying you aren't losing weight and barely getting enough calories in. So that has been the case you whole life? You ate 1000 calories a day for the past 42 years and got to 368?

You know a bunch of fat people aren't going to believe that...

The only time I've ever successfully lost weight was when I followed strict Atkins. I ate over 2500 calories a day on that diet and lost almost 150 lbs in a year. But I lacked the will power to STAY on it. I'm seeing surgery as being the tool I need to not start eating crap again. I'm certainly not going to sabotage myself after going to such extremes. But yes, I lack the will power myself to never eat crap again unless I have another tool in place.

For me, I have been easily able to stick to a low carb lifestyle post op, because I am not hungry and I can eat small portions. My issues with Atkins/Paleo/Keto etc has always been I was still hungry and over eating, even eating the right things. The sleeve makes it easy to stick to the lifestyle. I already had the will power but I was still over eating, and then I would stall and just quit. I can't quit with the sleeve.

There is no WLS that will give you will power. You can eat around the sleeve, the RNY, lapband, all of them. DS is probably the only one you can't eat around because it is so extreme.

Mentally you have to be in a place for WLS to work for you, or it won't.

I think it is good you are asking a lot of the questions you are asking but you don't really seem ready for WLS. It seems like something you are agreeing to because your healthy is failing, but you don't really seem to be at the end of your rope with your weight yet. JMO

@@WitchySar - One more thing - and a lot of people don't like to hear this - but honestly, therapy has been a stronger tool than my pouch (I had RNY). I had tried to do that before and never found the right therapist or would give up and stop going when it got hard. I credit the work I have done there to getting to goal so fast. I still go twice a month. I know not everyone can afford it. I get that. But if there is ANY way you can participate in therapy, I strongly suggest it.

That's how I see this too. Yes the surgery is going to be on my stomach but it's a drastic step and I have no desire to sabotage myself. Right now, today, what do I have stopping me from eating crap? Not a whole lot. It's been my entire life basically. But after surgery what will I have to stop me? I'll have the knowledge that I was committed and serious enough to alter my body to make it work. That's a pretty strong tool, IMO. I need a boost to my willpower and I see the surgery as being that tool.

Surgery will not boost your will power, especially in the beginning, it will weaken it. The head hunger on the pre-op diet and the first 4 weeks is amazingly hard. Weeks without chewing anything is like being on a deserted island, it will make you crazy.

Read this forum extensively. People really struggle with head hunger. You go through a lot of emotional/hormonal changes after surgery. It is a crazy roller coaster. If you like to comfort eat, chips and other junk food are going to look amazing to you.

Work out the will power before surgery, surgery won't give you will power.

Oh believe me, there is no rope left. I'm not *agreeing* to do this. No one else suggested it to me. This is a decision I'm making for myself because I can't live like this anymore. I rarely leave my home anymore because we live on the second floor and my knees can't handle it. I have very little to wear because I can't shop in the stores near me, nothing fits anymore. I take 3 different blood pressure meds everyday and it STILL is high. No, I'm ready to do this.

Plus I have a minimum of at least 6 months to get the rest of my questions answered.

I have no intention of *eating around* my sleeve. Hell no. Not after all the hoops I'm going to have to jump through to get the surgery, and the pain and trauma to my body of the surgery itself. Nope. Not going to make all that be for nothing. So will the WLS *give* me willpower? No, of course not. But it sure as heck is going to supplement the willpower I already have because I WILL NOT fail this time.

I totally believe you and I think you can do it. My question is, if you are already on the Portion Control part and committed to changing your habits, what's the point of surgery?

I needed the restriction, personally. Sounds like you are much stronger than I was going in.

I promise we are trying to help you sort it all out.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for it and give it all I have to try to be successful. perhaps getting weight off might help your issues, as we know that fat is hormonaly active in the body.

with thyroid issues your progress may well be hindered, but what else can you do? right?

I figure I will loose what I can, and keep it off as long as I can, there is always the chance that I will loose all the excess and keep it off - but if it buys me even 10 more years to watch grandchildren grow then it will be worth it all.

Exactly, what she ^^^^ said.

AND:

I hear you and will try not to talk over what you are saying.

You say that you are 100% committed to the process. Who are we to doubt you? Having WLS is a real life changer. It's no joke. It's difficult on the best days.--especially if you are a "dump syndromer"

Yes, yes, and again yes. If you are truly committed to working 100% with your new body and nothing else has worked, then why not??

Losing weight during the "honeymoon" period is just what some need to overcome comorbidities and to attain renewed motivation and habits to last a life time.

I am no longer a dooms dayer. I have become ever optimistic.

Go for it, Friend. Losing your weight, and living a healthier life is the one way to prove you 100% commitment and then say, "I told ya so".

If your Bariatric team is agreeing with you that WLS is a positive option for you, who are we to be nay sayers?

I wish you well with whatever decision you make.

Please post and let us know .

Prayers going up.