Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will WLS work if the problem isn't overeating?

@@WitchySar - One more thing - and a lot of people don't like to hear this - but honestly, therapy has been a stronger tool than my pouch (I had RNY). I had tried to do that before and never found the right therapist or would give up and stop going when it got hard. I credit the work I have done there to getting to goal so fast. I still go twice a month. I know not everyone can afford it. I get that. But if there is ANY way you can participate in therapy, I strongly suggest it.

I'm in therapy already, and have to see a therapist with my surgeon's office as well.

That's how I see this too. Yes the surgery is going to be on my stomach but it's a drastic step and I have no desire to sabotage myself. Right now, today, what do I have stopping me from eating crap? Not a whole lot. It's been my entire life basically. But after surgery what will I have to stop me? I'll have the knowledge that I was committed and serious enough to alter my body to make it work. That's a pretty strong tool, IMO. I need a boost to my willpower and I see the surgery as being that tool.

Ok, I didn't read all the posts but I do agree with @LipstickLady. For me, it was sort of a reset button. You will hear over and over that surgery is on your stomach not your brain but I was SO determined to make it work this time especially after all I went through to get the surgery (and a complication afterwards) that the "willpower" became easier than it was pre-op. And all the new habits (weighing and measuring food, tracking intake, exercise, fluids, Vitamins, etc.) you put in to practice really help limit those "choices". Have I made some bad choices post-op? Yep but they are much fewer and further between and mostly thanks to my therapist who helped me realize and work through some tools to make better choices and "crave" a healthier lifestyle. PLUS once you start losing, it is so motivating to keep going and making good choices.

So I am not sure I explained myself very well. I have tried to explain this to many people and I can never quite get there. Yes, the surgery is a tool and it is on your stomach not your brain, but somehow, if you put in the effort, the brain joins in the process...

Surgery will not boost your will power, especially in the beginning, it will weaken it. The head hunger on the pre-op diet and the first 4 weeks is amazingly hard. Weeks without chewing anything is like being on a deserted island, it will make you crazy.

Read this forum extensively. People really struggle with head hunger. You go through a lot of emotional/hormonal changes after surgery. It is a crazy roller coaster. If you like to comfort eat, chips and other junk food are going to look amazing to you.

Work out the will power before surgery, surgery won't give you will power.

I've been worried about head hunger too, so I'm determined to learn how to handle it before surgery. I've made a list of things to do instead of eating when I think it's head hunger. Stretches, jumping jacks (modified for my knees), clean, text a friend for support, etc. So far it's working.

I totally believe you and I think you can do it. My question is, if you are already on the Portion Control part and committed to changing your habits, what's the point of surgery?

I needed the restriction, personally. Sounds like you are much stronger than I was going in.

Partly because even when I change what I eat I lose so slowly that my health can't take it anymore. My blood pressure is out of control, despite being on 3 meds a day. I can't work out because I can barely walk from the pain in my knees from my weight. I need something that is more drastic than losing a pound every couple weeks.

Edited by WitchySar

Exactly, what she ^^^^ said.

I promise we are trying to help you sort it all out.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for it and give it all I have to try to be successful. perhaps getting weight off might help your issues, as we know that fat is hormonaly active in the body.

with thyroid issues your progress may well be hindered, but what else can you do? right?

I figure I will loose what I can, and keep it off as long as I can, there is always the chance that I will loose all the excess and keep it off - but if it buys me even 10 more years to watch grandchildren grow then it will be worth it all.

AND:

I hear you and will try not to talk over what you are saying.

You say that you are 100% committed to the process. Who are we to doubt you? Having WLS is a real life changer. It's no joke. It's difficult on the best days.--especially if you are a "dump syndromer"

Yes, yes, and again yes. If you are truly committed to working 100% with your new body and nothing else has worked, then why not??

Losing weight during the "honeymoon" period is just what some need to overcome comorbidities and to attain renewed motivation and habits to last a life time.

I am no longer a dooms dayer. I have become ever optimistic.

Go for it, Friend. Losing your weight, and living a healthier life is the one way to prove you 100% commitment and then say, "I told ya so".

If your Bariatric team is agreeing with you that WLS is a positive option for you, who are we to be nay sayers?

I wish you well with whatever decision you make.

Please post and let us know .

Prayers going up.

Thank you. When I mentioned my decision for surgery to my primary she agreed 100% that this is what I need.

Oh believe me, there is no rope left. I'm not *agreeing* to do this. No one else suggested it to me. This is a decision I'm making for myself because I can't live like this anymore. I rarely leave my home anymore because we live on the second floor and my knees can't handle it. I have very little to wear because I can't shop in the stores near me, nothing fits anymore. I take 3 different blood pressure meds everyday and it STILL is high. No, I'm ready to do this.

Plus I have a minimum of at least 6 months to get the rest of my questions answered.

I have no intention of *eating around* my sleeve. Hell no. Not after all the hoops I'm going to have to jump through to get the surgery, and the pain and trauma to my body of the surgery itself. Nope. Not going to make all that be for nothing. So will the WLS *give* me willpower? No, of course not. But it sure as heck is going to supplement the willpower I already have because I WILL NOT fail this time.

GOOD FOR YOU. If you believe you can, you can. I am rooting for you 100%.

@@WitchySar - Even after post-op I questioned myself as to why I couldn't have done it without the surgery! But it was too late. I am going to disagree with some of the other posters and say again, the tool somehow, someway managed to strengthen my willpower. It was NOT something I had under control prior to surgery. When I went to my "class" that I had to attend prior to surgery, I talked to the RN there and she said something that stuck with me in helping me make my decision. It was "Just do it and get it done. Get the weight off and then use the habits you built in that time to maintain." Let's face it, I have lost weight a ton of times (as many of us had) but I had never gotten to the point of "goal". It just took too darn long and I would give up. With WLS, I wasn't really able to give up. I had restriction that stopped me and the brain changes came.

I think you are on the right path and asking all the right questions. You sound like you are like me in that you have to process something over and over and ask a lot of questions to get your mind set and then once your mind is set, you are off to the races! Don't be afraid to ask these questions and don't be afraid to still be questioning your decision. You will know when the time is right. I remember setting up my appts for pre-op stuff (EGD, sleep study, etc.) and saying "even if I don't go through with WLS, these are things that need to be done" Before I knew it, I was headed in to surgery. And the first month or so is TOUGH. Not gonna lie. But man this year has flown by and I cannot believe I am sitting here at 170 pounds! Seriously never ever thought it would happed but like my dad always told me "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." ;) (Probably not the right metaphor here but hopefully you see what I am getting at....)

@@WitchySar

If you have a plan for head hunger you are ahead of the curve. I went for walks when head hunger got bad.

Exactly, what she ^^^^ said.

I promise we are trying to help you sort it all out.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for it and give it all I have to try to be successful. perhaps getting weight off might help your issues, as we know that fat is hormonaly active in the body.

with thyroid issues your progress may well be hindered, but what else can you do? right?

I figure I will loose what I can, and keep it off as long as I can, there is always the chance that I will loose all the excess and keep it off - but if it buys me even 10 more years to watch grandchildren grow then it will be worth it all.

AND:

I hear you and will try not to talk over what you are saying.

You say that you are 100% committed to the process. Who are we to doubt you? Having WLS is a real life changer. It's no joke. It's difficult on the best days.--especially if you are a "dump syndromer"

Yes, yes, and again yes. If you are truly committed to working 100% with your new body and nothing else has worked, then why not??

Losing weight during the "honeymoon" period is just what some need to overcome comorbidities and to attain renewed motivation and habits to last a life time.

I am no longer a dooms dayer. I have become ever optimistic.

Go for it, Friend. Losing your weight, and living a healthier life is the one way to prove you 100% commitment and then say, "I told ya so".

If your Bariatric team is agreeing with you that WLS is a positive option for you, who are we to be nay sayers?

I wish you well with whatever decision you make.

Please post and let us know .

Prayers going up.

Thank you. When I mentioned my decision for surgery to my primary she agreed 100% that this is what I need.

So, now you have your answer.

Go for it.

Research, study, watch, talk, absorb every bit of information you can now while you are pre-op.

Learn as you go--most of us had to.

Many have had WLS with less motivation than you have demonstrated.

I believe.

@@WitchySar

If you have a plan for head hunger you are ahead of the curve. I went for walks when head hunger got bad.

I sucked on those damn Listerine strips that make everything taste like crap. I also painted my nails so I couldn't touch anything. Oh yes, any plan to sabotage the eating is a good plan.

I agree that the surgery is on the stomach and not the brain. I am a month post op and my brain still things the pre op way... I sat down to eat my small measured portion for lunch, I though to myself I will eat this and still going to be so hungry... Needless to say I could barely finish it. It is hard after surgery because I do like carbs like chips and crackers, today at work I saw someone eating crackers I like, I am not going to lie I wanted some, but reminded myself of my new lifestyle and my journey. I feel like you constantly have to be paying attention to what you eating, how fast you are eating, how much you are eating and drinking. When they say it's life changing, it really is. I am still learning this new lifestyle and new stomach, but this is my only hope of being healthy, I couldn't do it on my own. I think this has been the hardest experience in my life (I had complications as well) but seeing clothes getting bigger and number on the scale going in right direction I have hope that I will get there this time around. If you do have the surgery I wish you best of luck and great success!

Edited by UsernameTaken

@@WitchySar

I had the cleanest garage in the country. And finally got 5 years of files and piles in my office organized.

Let me give you a quick run down of my experience. I gained my weight from poor Portion Control. I mainly ate healthy just huge amounts like a horse. Don't get me wrong I ate poor choices occasionally too.

I have hypothyroidism and that never helped my metabolism a lot.

When I was going through the six month wait for my surgery I really began to look close at my diet. I cut out all caffeine and sodas first- switched to Water only... Still didn't lose anything.

Then, about two and half months before my surgery I cut out all my refined sugars and all junk... Still didn't lose weight, but I was eating large portions. I didn't track my food so I don't remember the calorie count. Then six weeks before surgery I cut my calories back to 1,200 a day, still no sodas, sugars, or carbs... No weight loss.

Then did the two week liquid diet. Only lost 4 stupid pounds and I never cheated!!! I was wondering if surgery would work for me.

Post op my weight began to drop off. I was at my goal in about 9 months. I went from 271 down to 150. I tracked religiously from day one.

It took a lot of experimenting but I have come to the realization that my body likes to be around 900-1000 calories a day. If I start to consistently eat more I gain. So thanks to this sleeve I eat about 1,000 calories of highly nutritious food a day, get my Protein in and occasionally have treats and have lost weight and maintained it. I am two years post op.

So for me I just needed WAY fewer calories than I was eating pre op.

I think if you track consistently then you will be able to find what works for you and that will help so much!

Also, like someone else stated you might be surprised on how much you are eating now. When I like back in retrospect I was eating way way more than I do now.

It can work for you. Hard work and dedication will pay off!!

@LipstickLady- I paint my nails when I have head hunger too. My nails have never looked so good. I now have a nail polish addiction. LOL

@LipstickLady- I paint my nails when I have head hunger too. My nails have never looked so good. I now have a nail polish addiction. LOL

I pay a lot of $$ to maintain my gel nails. I painted over perfectly perfect nails to keep myself from eating. D@MN you fat brain!!

I agree with @@Daisee68 1000% , I could go right now and eat around my sleeve at only 9 months out. I have no foods that make me dump. And actually the carby foods are the easiest to overeat, they turn into nearly nothing in our tummies. What stops me though, is the fact that I fought so goddamn hard for this surgery to happen... that I'll be damned if I let a frickin potato chip make me miserable again. No matter how crunchy, salty and delicious I may remember it. I get cravings because I too have a hubby and kids that don't follow MY diet, but I take that new found will and have made some pretty ingenious alternatives to the good ole comfort foods. If you need ideas or recipes look it up or message me!!! Good luck mama, you got this!!! Here's to better knees!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree with @@Daisee68 1000% , I could go right now and eat around my sleeve at only 9 months out. I have no foods that make me dump. And actually the carby foods are the easiest to overeat, they turn into nearly nothing in our tummies. What stops me though, is the fact that I fought so goddamn hard for this surgery to happen... that I'll be damned if I let a frickin potato chip make me miserable again. No matter how crunchy, salty and delicious I may remember it. I get cravings because I too have a hubby and kids that don't follow MY diet, but I take that new found will and have made some pretty ingenious alternatives to the good ole comfort foods. If you need ideas or recipes look it up or message me!!! Good luck mama, you got this!!! Here's to better knees!!!

Sorry for the duplication, don't know what happened??