Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a serious question... I know, right?!?!

Hello b*tches...

It's your favourite Australia guy here...

It's with some trepidation that I'm posting this, seeking some opinions...

Here's the sh*t -

Started at 255kg in Feb 2015

Now 15 months post-op and I'm down (have lost) approx 106kg

Yes, I'm VERY happy with that, however...

I still have approx 35-40kg to go..

I'm also ok with that...

However -

I'm in a stall...

Big stall...

4 months lost nothing kinda stall...

No, I'm not looking for advice re breaking the stall...

I know it'll happen eventually...

I've just started tracking my stuff...

What I'm after is some thoughts and opinions on calories/protein/carbs...

How many cals...

How many carbs...

How much Protein...

That kinda thing...

Now, I know the whole "See your medical blah blah blah" stuff...

I'm aware of such advice...

What I'm after is anecdotal advice...

What works for you...

What doesn't..

That means that if this thread happens to stay on track, there will be NO WRONG ANSWERS...

Hence the request for YOUR stories..

Also..

ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOMED!!!

If I think you're being a d*ck I'll simply ignore...

I hope that you can all do the same...

Righto, I'm out...

Thanks to you all in anticipation of your assistance...

Kinda...

What does your intake look like now?

Hey dude...

When i lost all my weight the first time, i did have a 3 month stall... basically for me the issue was that i wasn't eating enough carbs and calories.

Someone mentioned they noticed i lost more weight when i wasn't being so strict.

So i decided that i would test the theory for a week... so that week i ate carbs, ate macdonalds, and just ate what i felt... and wouldn't you know it... my stall finally broke.

I think because i was eating so clean and small amounts for an extended period of time, my body needed a bit of a shock...

Hi @@gary5862

My intake is in the 'tweaking' stage...

I've not been tracking to any degree so I'm looking at what different people are doing and what may (or may not) work for me...

What is a typical day eating like for you? .. give us some examples

At least that'll give us an idea of your macros and calorie intake

Edited by AussieGirl81

@

That's certainly one of the options I'm looking at...

At 15 months out, it's very possible that I'm 'over-dieting'...

As I've said up there, I've not been tracking...

I know I've been eating 'well' but have no numbers to back that up...

I've started with the MFP thing...

I've set myself to start at 1500 cal (hit 1300) with 140g of Protein and (for day 1 today at least) I've had 40g carbs...

At 15 months of eating low calories and exercising hard can also reset your metabolic rate.

One thing that really helped was having a "feeding" day.. sort of what the body builders do.

So basically you eat well for 6 days a week... and have one day a week where you "feed" your body with carbs and "bad" foods.

I did this towards the end of my weight loss when things slowed right down. .. i would eat well monday to Friday & sunday.... Saturday would be my naughty day where i would order a big mac or have chocolate or a high calorie meal.

But.... not knowing how you have been eating i can not advise on whether this is the right time to try it

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

This link kinda explains it

Edited by AussieGirl81

How much do you weigh now? How tall are you?

How many calories are you burning each session?

I'm on a mission to help you break this stall once and for all

Edited by AussieGirl81

Yep, I'm all over such a concept...

My weight loss 'journey' (I hate that word) has been a long and involved one..

It's another thing I'm looking at once I get into the swing of tracking...

I know what you mean... there isn't anything i haven't tried over the last 8 years..... I've starved, overeaten, upped Protein, lowered carbs, upped carbs, increased fats, exercised less, exercised more, tried lemon diets, Optifast, apple cider vinegar... well you get my drift.... I've tried it all.... this is one thing that sounds counterproductive but actually works

Alright, it's bedtime for me...

I'm up early for the gym...

I'll reply to every post when I can tomorrow...

Again, thanx to those who take an interest...

It's genuinely appreciated...

I track my food and workouts and try to keep my deficit between 500-800 calories. enough to make a serious weekly deficit, but not enough to make my body think I am starving.

on my program they want men to get between 70-80 g of Protein. and I haven't been given carb guidelines except to have my meals be 75% Protein. I don't avoid all carbs, (example I have a slice of oat bread toast in the morning with my egg) but I do keep them pretty low.

but I am only 4 months out from surgery - any pause I've had in weight loss has been less than 2 weeks and I know you may be looking for input from those further out than I am.

I am looking forward to the party that I know will ensue when you finally break this stall!

Following because I'm in a months-long stall, too. Upping exercise, which I haven't been great about, and hoping that will break it.

I tend to try to keep my carbs below 100 grams/daily, but I have noticed that the times I do a cheat meal (not over eating, just eating something rich or heavy like Pasta that I'd normally not eat) I end up losing weight within a day or two. I do think there is something to going "off script" with your diet every once in a while. I have no idea why, but it seems like your body can get into a rut eating the same amounts of everything daily for weeks/months.

I'd agree your metabolism can get stuck if you're not eating enough calories and that could cause a definite stall if you're not sure how many calories you are eating daily compared to how much you are burning.

I've stayed away from fruit for most of the year. I have been in a stall for about a month. I started eating fruit in the last three days (bing cherries and cantaloupe with some amazing Irish porter cheese) and boom - dropped 2 pounds and out of the stall and feeling more energetic.

So who knows what exactly that means, but it couldn't hurt to up your calories a bit, try eating something richer or slightly more carby than your usual for a few meals, and maybe that will do something.

ETA: I track in the program Fatsecret, and I try to keep my calorie deficit between 600-1000 or so between what I consume and what I burn. I know I have a much more sluggish metabolism than what the doc says (he told me around 500 cal difference), but I see results when it is closer to 1000 than 500. But I do try to eat more calories and carbs (even up to 1700-1800 calories) on days where I'm really pushing my exercise up (swimming for 2+ hours and biking there and back).

Edited by FrankiesGirl

I'm almost 11 months form surgery and have found that my stalls break when I increase my carbohydrate intake. My weight fluctuates like crazy but the trend remains (so far, thankfully) downward. I am lucky in that my stalls have only lasted a week or so up to now. I have a hard time with the concept to have to eat more to lose more, but it really works.

As it stands now, daily I eat a minimum of 120 gms of Protein, 40-45 gms of fat and 100-110 gms of carbs. In calories that adds up to about 1300 a day. I eat three meals a day and then have a mid morning, mid afternoon and post dinner snack (usually fruit, Greek yogurt or a Protein bar/protein chips). After quite a few variations I discovered that this eating pace keeps my head (and real) hunger at bay. I also track on myfitnesspal faithfully. I have also been really bad about exercising, although I recently started to reverse that.

Good luck and I hope this helps!