Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance for revision from VBG to Gastric Bypass

Hello All,

16 years ago at the tender age of 19, I had the, now disgraced, Vertical Banded Gastroplasty procedure. Although I lost weight, I started throwing up 3-5 days a week for hours on end within two months of the surgery and have been that way ever since. 16 years later, I have all fake teeth (natural teeth can't stand that level of acid), am on huge doses of Nexium, and have serious esophageal problems, which could lead to cancer in the future. Also, it is REALLY terrible to throw up that often, and it really effects my quality of life. I also didn't maintain the weight loss, although I have been on Weight Watchers for a few months now, and have lost 45 pounds the old fashioned way.

I got to the point where this started to make me mad! They say that often change doesn't happen until to actually get MAD! My parents and I started doing research and found out that the VBG can be revised into the gastric bypass. Does anyone have experience with this, especially with the insurance end?

It took me 16 years to stop blaming myself and be willing to take action. Any help, hope, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chelsea

I had VBG 20 yrs ago and dealt with it till last month when I was revised to RNY.

Best thing I have done and wish I had found a Dr years ago to do this.

My insurance initially hesitated wanting 6 month pre diet, but with all my complications, and Dr explaining this was the only option, they waived it.

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for responding! I feel better already. If you don't mind me asking, were your complications similar to mine, throwing up all the time? What was it that finally changed their mind? Although I'm not doing this purely for the purpose of losing weight (symptom alleviation is first for me), did you find it was easy to lose weight once you had it revised? Are the side effects of the RNY better to deal with?

It sounds like the VBG was a disaster for lots of people, and I'll bet many of them just suffer in silence. I'm glad to find someone who can relate.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

my insurance denied me also for my revision my surgeon had to respond with why my first surgery wasn't successful and it was approved within fays

Thank you so much for responding! I feel better already. If you don't mind me asking, were your complications similar to mine, throwing up all the time? What was it that finally changed their mind? Although I'm not doing this purely for the purpose of losing weight (symptom alleviation is first for me), did you find it was easy to lose weight once you had it revised? Are the side effects of the RNY better to deal with?

It sounds like the VBG was a disaster for lots of people, and I'll bet many of them just suffer in silence. I'm glad to find someone who can relate.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yes I had the same issues, and my Dr. said that was normal with VBG.

That and opening became so small that a scope could not be put thru.

That is the reason that VBG could not be fixed and RNY was the revision. This was advised to the Ins Co after initial request, and they approved right away.

I am sooooooo happy with my RNY and all the issues from VBG gone. I have lost 54 lbs and feel really good. So many days a week before revision I was so tired due to throwing up and eating the wrong foods. My family is very happy as well, that they do not have to change plans due to me being sick all the time.

no complications just sore I just had the revision done June 13 so far 11 pounds gone more than likely Water weight buy I'll take it. I went back under in hopes of becoming a mother next year