Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had bypass on 5/16. Three days before the surgery I weighed 270. The day of the surgery I weighed 262. Now I weigh 246. I got down to 250 in the first two weeks but have since, 2 weeks later, only lost 4 pounds. I'm eating around 800 calories a day and my carbs are under 50. I walk about 40 minutes 5 days a week.

My nutritionist told me I should lose 26 pounds in the first month. I've lost 24 since the three day liquid diet, but only 16 since surgery. I am frustrated. I hear and read about these people losing 4-6 pounds a week. Not me! Am I doing something wrong? Too many or too few calories?

First you have likely come in to the very common 3 week stall. Just stick with the program and stay off the scale for a week. Second your NUT should NOT be giving you goals like that. I never lost more than 10 to 15 pounds per month and at one year post-op, I am down 120 pounds from surgery day. It adds up.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I am one of thoses people who looses 10-15 lbs a month

I am 8 weeks post up and down 33 lbs

It's really frustrating. I was actually going to question it here in bariatric pal, but since I saw this post

Daisee68 I'm glad i'm not alone. I really wish I would loose a bit faster, but really can't do nothing about if i'm already following all instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had bypass on 5/16. Three days before the surgery I weighed 270. The day of the surgery I weighed 262. Now I weigh 246. I got down to 250 in the first two weeks but have since, 2 weeks later, only lost 4 pounds. I'm eating around 800 calories a day and my carbs are under 50. I walk about 40 minutes 5 days a week.

My nutritionist told me I should lose 26 pounds in the first month. I've lost 24 since the three day liquid diet, but only 16 since surgery. I am frustrated. I hear and read about these people losing 4-6 pounds a week. Not me! Am I doing something wrong? Too many or too few calories?

Sounds like you've done well!!! Don't compare yourself to others and don't go by a # the NUT gave you! Your body has lost a good amount of weight in a little time - it's adjusting! Just follow your plan and stay strong!

My surgeon told me to write myself a note and put it up somewhere to remind myself that a couple of weeks after surgery I will stop losing weight and plateau while my body takes stock of what's going on. He said everyone gets it and It's not because I've done anything wrong it's just that my body needs a chance to catch up with the changes. He said everyone worries but just to keep following the plan and the weight will quickly start shifting again. :) hope that helps!

I too had my surgery on 5/16...

I started out at 260

Surgery day 251

Today, 232

That's 19 pounds in 4 weeks or 4.75 pounds a week.

I think the heavier you are the faster you lose... however, if I continue to lose 19 pounds every four weeks, well heck, I'll be at goal in 4.5 months! (and I know this is unlikely)...

Don't compare yourself to others. Break it down and look at it... think of other times you have tried to lose. Did you ever lose that quickly?

I know it's hard. I frown when I don't see the numbers change on the scale. I'm not quite positive I've hit a stall yet, but I've slowed to a crawl at the moment. But I know if I keep on keeping on, it'll change.

I'm in the same boat. I lost 35lbs between the pre-op diet and one week after surgery. Then I only lost a couple pounds on week 3 post-op and nothing more. On Thursday I'll be 5 weeks post op. I'm getting 50g of Protein and about 48-60 oz of Water per day. I'm also around 800 calories but I did notice as I try to get my protein up I also get my carbs and sugars up higher than I want. However, how can it be that I have a two week stall on 800 calories a day?!? I keep trying to just hit the protein and water goals and let the rest go but it's really becoming a head game.

Listen...you aren't doing anything wrong. My daughter is a clinical exercise physiologist and I went a week without losing anything and I was sad and she said "mommmmmmy listen to me!! Your body is in starvation mode and what that means is your body is hanging on to every single fat cell you have.. Don't get sad just think about it as if your body is catching up to what's going on." So, I listened to her and the next week I started loosing again.. So plz don't get mad or frustrated and don't give up!!! :)

I'm in the same boat. I lost 35lbs between the pre-op diet and one week after surgery. Then I only lost a couple pounds on week 3 post-op and nothing more. On Thursday I'll be 5 weeks post op. I'm getting 50g of Protein and about 48-60 oz of Water per day. I'm also around 800 calories but I did notice as I try to get my Protein up I also get my carbs and sugars up higher than I want. However, how can it be that I have a two week stall on 800 calories a day?!? I keep trying to just hit the protein and Water goals and let the rest go but it's really becoming a head game.

I'm going through the same thing. I'm 2 months out from Sx and I had been averaging a loss of about 3lbs a week, and then I plateaued. I got sick a couple weeks ago and haven't been well enough to go to the gym, and I gained 3lbs back in the last two weeks. I feel like I'm eating more than I should and I'm paranoid that my pouch is stretching out. I'm terrified that my body has decided this is the size I'm destined to be and that I'm never going to weigh less than 200lbs, let alone reach my goal weight. I don't know what to do or how to solve it.

There is no such thing as an average weight loss. We are all different. Our systems all react differently. For the first few months I was eating 400-500 calories. Not because anyone told me too, just was what I could take in. I followed all my Dr's orders. He was very conservative in going to each stage. I couldn't have salads until 4 months out. I have had no adverse reactions other then losing hair between 4 and 6 months out. At 7 months I'm down 84 pounds. I'm 65. I'm going to the Y 4-5 days a week. I am at 800-1000 cal a day. Aim for 100g of Protein, <50g of carbs and eat full fat cheese. I don't feel like I'm in a diet because I eat a variety of things and don't deprive myself. Eating Protein first is a great tool to live by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not as far along in the process. Had my surgery on 6/8 so I'm just 10 days out.

On the morning of surgery I weighed 225 on my home scale. Three days after surgery I returned home and weighed myself again, 247!!! I was up 22 pounds! After a moment of disbelief, I realized that it was Fluid retention, which I'm prone to under normal circumstances. A week later, I'm down to 220 (which involved a whole lot of peeing!!!!). So, while I may only be down 5 lbs from my pre-surgery weight, I can already see visible changes in my body.

We are putting our bodies through a lot, A LOT! So I expect that there are going to be lots of ups and downs along the way. I imagine that, if we are following the plan, stalls are the body's way of taking a step back and adjusting to the radical changes in internal plumbing and restricted diet.

Like every other diet, results will vary by person. If I am calculating your numbers correctly, you are down 16 lbs in a month. WOW!! That's great! I hope I do as well.