Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.. I'm scheduled for vsg at the end of June & I realized as excited as I am there's also a part of me Thats afraid of failing. I've lost weight before 107 lbs to be exact (weight watchers) & Kept it off for 6 years. The weight started creeping back on over the last 3 years & Now that I'm (41) & 10 years older I feel like my body is fighting against my attempts to lose weight. Which is what lead me on this journey. I know how great it feels to lose & maintain the weight loss & how terrible it feels to re-gain all of that weight & more. Im not trying to be a deby-downer.. this is a real fear of mine. I read all these success stories & am very hopeful but on the other hand A part of me can't help but think What if I'm one of the few people that aren't successful after vsg surgery. Anybody else feel this way?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think we are all afraid of that.

which is why most of us freak out at the early stalls. because everything else has failed us in the past.

all we can do is use the period after surgery to loose weight and learn a new relationship with food/exercise.

my gut feeling is that if we do not eat around our sleeve, we may regain some of what you loose - especially if we loose fast (that ole metabolism) but due to the smaller stomach we wouldn't be likely to regain all.

if one finds ways to eat around their sleeve (on purpose or not) they will probably regain it all and maybe more. but even if that takes a few years, they at least have those years at a lower rate, and less disease, so it would be hard to categorize even that as anything but positive.

Bariatric surgery is more than an operation. Most of our programs come with a team that includes a bariatrician, nutritionist, psychologist, and some even have a physical trainer in addition to the surgeon.

A good program helps you get inside your head to discover the triggers that mess up your efforts to succeed.

A good program will help you examine the relationships in your life to determine who is enabling you to fail by bringing inappropriate foods around, and who are the toxic people who torment and bully you about your intention to get healthy

A good program will educate you about proper nutrition for the human body. The nutritionist will help you discern between real food (that you can plant, pick, and chase) and industrial food products made in a factory and sent to your store in a package or served a ta drive-up window laden with sugar, salt, and grease.

A good program will give you the tools pre-op to help you engage in the eating and exercise habits you will need post-op, so that by the time you have your surgery, you will be comfortable with the changes you have to make.

A good program will help you understand that you did not succeed before because life isn't fair.

To get a head start on developing the frame of mind you need for success, you can start TODAY with the following adjustments incorporated by most of our teams:

Eat lean Protein first, and plenty of it. Then eat non-starchy veggies that are not covered in butter and salt. Dessert is an apple, not apple pie.

Drink Water until your eyeballs float, and drink no calories.

Don't become part of the sofa.

I wish you the best. Instead of worrying, look forward to good health and a better quality of life. Hang in there, Kiddo.

Hi.. I'm scheduled for vsg at the end of June & I realized as excited as I am there's also a part of me Thats afraid of failing. I've lost weight before 107 lbs to be exact (weight watchers) & Kept it off for 6 years. The weight started creeping back on over the last 3 years & Now that I'm (41) & 10 years older I feel like my body is fighting against my attempts to lose weight. Which is what lead me on this journey. I know how great it feels to lose & maintain the weight loss & how terrible it feels to re-gain all of that weight & more. Im not trying to be a deby-downer.. this is a real fear of mine. I read all these success stories & am very hopeful but on the other hand A part of me can't help but think What if I'm one of the few people that aren't successful after vsg surgery. Anybody else feel this way?

Yes, I think we a feel or felt like that pre-op. Your body IS fighting your attempts to lose weight.

That is the night and day difference between pre-op and post-op.

Pre-op I worked hard and had little or no success. I knew that the rebound from my next "diet" would leave me at over 600 pounds. Just maintaining my weight was a struggle.

Post-op, if I follow my program: focusing on getting in all of my Protein and fluids; avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods; taking my Vitamins and supplements; and exercising; and, most importantly, not giving up when I have a stall and learning to Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall; then, my body cooperates and I lose weight and get smaller. My effort actually produces results.

It is a lifestyle change, that is facilitated by the biological changes produced by the surgery.

You can do this!

You really have to get past the fear of failure. Don't look at this as another diet, we all know those diets worked and eventually failed. This is a new start. This is a new life. This is about truly changing your relationship with food. I am 18 months post op and I no longer have to think about what I eat. It is all habit. Don't worry about failure, only worry about what you can control. If you are truly committed to changing, and I mean changing your life not just your diet, you will succeed. You have got this!

Thank you so much! Your words of wisdom help put things in perspective! This is a journey not a diet & I'm more than ready for a lifestyle change. At this weight I'm unable to be the person I strive to be, mentally & physically. I'm uncomfortable all the time!

You're right I got this! ????