Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be on vacation during my liquid diet. I actually start my diet 1 day before we leave for vacation. It will be hard well worth it though.

Was wondering if anyone else had something special happening during their liquid diet? I wanna still go with my family to eat, just order Soup or take my own shake. How do/did you all do, plus my husband likes the all you can eat places lol.

☆Jeni☆

I just brought Protein Powder and a shaker and ordered Water when we went out to eat during my pre op.

You can do this!!

I recently returned from a 2 1/2 week vacation, most of it traveling and eating out, and I returned home without gaining any weight. I'm not in the liquid phase any longer, but I do still supplement my meals with Protein shakes in order to get the minimal grams of Protein each day (100g). My preferred Protein Powder is powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury for numerous reasons. I buy it directly from @@UNJURY to save $$. The dietitians at Unjury are always available to talk with you if you have any questions or concerns in the event you're unable to reach your practice dietitian.

My suggestions for traveling:

Take premeasured protein powder with you or a scale so you can accurately measure the powder rather than depending on scoop size. Powder can easily compact or be too loose and you won't get an accurate serving size. Don't wait until you're in the restaurant to mix your shake. Premix your Protein Shakes and ask for a glass of ice to pour it over. Have it ready to drink and I think you will avoid some strong temptations. Unjury protein powder shakes can be made at least 24 hours ahead of when you plan to drink the shake, which I do often because I think they taste better when the shake has had time to "bloom" so to speak. Also, Unjury has a chicken Soup protein powder that is quite good, but you have to be careful about Water temperature so it helps to have a simple thermometer on hand. If the Water is too hot, the whey will clump. It doesn’t change the taste, just the texture which can be weird. I have found that having a non-sweet protein Meal Replacement helped me get through the restaurant meals and such.

Most of my protein beverages are just shaken up; I do not use a blender or make them frozen for simplicity and time sake.

Get creative with your drink flavors. Some of my favorite flavor combinations are:

1. vanilla Protein Powder, SF Sunrise Orange drink (it’s like an orange Dreamsicle)
  2. ½ serving vanilla PP, ½ serving chocolate Splendor PP ,4 oz. brewed coffee, chilled, 4 oz. skim milk
  3. Chocolate Splendor PP, 8 oz. skim milk, 1 or 2 servings PB2
  4. ½ serving Vanilla PP, ½ serving chocolate Splendor, 8 oz. skim milk
  5. Chicken PP with less than a serving of chicken bouillon mixed with 8-10 oz. water at 140 degs.

Have a safe, happy, and successful vacation!!

Get a lunch box, fill it with things you're allowed. For instance I was allowed Jello, unflavored apple sauce, yogurt plus other things. I also got an 8 oz rubber made shaker cup (with a screw on lid). Filled it with my Protein powder and I would just buy cold Water to mix it with when I got to where ever we were eating at. Not one restaurant said anything to me.

Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cindyw41

I will be on vacation during my liquid diet. I actually start my diet 1 day before we leave for vacation. It will be hard well worth it though.

Was wondering if anyone else had something special happening during their liquid diet? I wanna still go with my family to eat, just order Soup or take my own shake. How do/did you all do, plus my husband likes the all you can eat places lol.

☆Jeni☆

Hello Jeni,

I'm going on vacation to NY for the first time and I'll have to start my liquid diet 3 days before returning home. I"m scared I'll be hangry and ruin the trip for my family. I hope I can keep it under control.

I'll be on an all liquid pre-op diet during vacation as well. It's at a peaceful resort and for some reason I think it will be easier to avoid temptation there as opposed to near all my old go-tos at home. But we'll see!

When is your trip?

Mine is the first week of July. I actually fly home the night before surgery...land at 10:30 pm and have to be at the hospital at 6:30 am the next day.

I'll be on an all liquid pre-op diet during vacation as well. It's at a peaceful resort and for some reason I think it will be easier to avoid temptation there as opposed to near all my old go-tos at home. But we'll see!

When is your trip?

Mine is the first week of July. I actually fly home the night before surgery...land at 10:30 pm and have to be at the hospital at 6:30 am the next day.

Wow - that's cutting it close. Hope the airlines are running on time!

☆Jeni☆

That takes some serious guts! Good for you! I wish you luck!

Wow - that's cutting it close. Hope the airlines are running on time!

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm coming back a week and a half before surgery. I'm planning on staying home and staying calm and peaceful.

I just realized that coming home the night before surgery means I will have to have everything out and ready before I leave for vacation. I'm recovering alone at home so will have to make sure the fridge has the Protein and liquids I need, make sure everything else I may need is down from the high shelves, oy.

@ Just curious...does your surgeon know you are flying in the night before? Are there any meds they need you to take pre-op?

That is a pretty good point. Flying and surgery both increase the risk of blood clots. Hopefully the surgeon the op with let her surgeon know.

That is a pretty good point. Flying and surgery both increase the risk of blood clots. Hopefully the surgeon the op with let her surgeon know.

I mentioned it when we set the date, but did not think to address those concerns. Thanks for pointing it out - I will ask my surgeon specifically about blood clots when I see him this week. We did discuss in depth the fact that I am flying again 2.5 weeks AFTER surgery, but we didn't spend much time on the flight the night before. Will make sure to remedy that ASAP.

Hi @@KristenLe, since you asked me about this a couple of times wanted to update you. I spoke to my surgeon today and he is not concerned about the flight or blood clots. All good.