Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here!! This is my first post

:ranger: Hi, This is my first post. I have been lurking a little for the past couple of weeks. I live in rural Nebraska with my very supportive husband of 42 years along with my almost 12 year old grandaughter and 2 Bischons. I attended the information seminar 2 weeks ago and have my initial evaluation on Sept. 6th. I have a BMI of 35 but several of the comorbidities. Hypertension, sleep apnea, arthritis, reflux and now plantar fasciitis and I have the big "61" coming before the month is over.

It looks as though I am going to have to pay from my own pocket. Is it really worth it to go to Mexico? The surgeons in Lincoln charge $16,000 for the whole package including several fills. Is this in line with the rest of the USA?

:D

hi

welcome. i also was self pay. here in houston the price is 12,900. i think the aftercare is key so i'm glad to have done it close to home.

it is the best thing i've ever done in my life. i'm sure you will feel the same way

good luck and let me know if any questions

I had my surgery done 3/16/07 in Overland Park, KS (suburb of Kansas City), and I was self-pay, too. The price you quoted is almost exactly what I paid. It includes all fills / follow-up for the first year. Personally, I think it's important to have one's surgeon close by. But, whether or not to go to Mexico is a personal decision that you must make. Just be sure to do your homework, and be sure to realistically weigh the pros and cons.

Wishing you all the best!

Kelly

Hello, my name is Clara. I am new to this too. I will be banded on the 27th of August. I will be 59 in October. I will have my surgery in Rockwall, Tx(just east of Dallas) and my total fee is $16,500. We are self pay also. This is a wonderful place to get info and vent and rave if you have to. Let us know if you need any information.

hi

welcome. i also was self pay. here in houston the price is 12,900. i think the aftercare is key so i'm glad to have done it close to home.

it is the best thing i've ever done in my life. i'm sure you will feel the same way

gonna have to agree here - the aftercare is very important - I was self pay $13,000 and change by Dr. Robert McKeen, recently I've had gallbladder trouble although I didn't know it at the time and called him and his nurse at 6:00 AM on a saturday and was able to actually talk with both of them, that was comforting and gave me a warm fuzzy - or was that a gallstone passing? - a friend of mine had it done last summer in Mexico and he has to pay quite a lot for fills (which he still hasn't had one yet) - there are pros and cons to both - I would go with what you're most comfortable with - good luck to you

Boomer46~Please check out Dr. Kirshenbaum (we have a thread about him too, just search Dr. Kirshenbaum...the thread starts with considering Dr. K)). He is in Denver, he did mine, he charges $9950.00 w/ three months follow ups, then he charges $15.00 a fill. We are all very pleased with our Dr. and you aren't that far away from us. We have met gals from Florida, Alaska, Virginia...and many other places. Anyway, just want4ed to let you know about him, he is GREAT!! Let me know how your journey goes and feel free to PM me if you want! Best wishes!

Like KellyGirl, I was banded a couple weeks ago in Overland Park, KS for 16,000 that includes a year worth of follow-ups and fills. I opted for a surgeon close by in case issues came up. Luckily there have been none but it's nice to know he's close by. Also, if I had any concerns the doctor/nurse can be reached after hours as well which is a comforting feeling to know they're just a call away.

hi

Hi, Thanks for the support! Does the self pay thing help speed up the whole process? I see some insurance requires months or even a year of preliminary work.

Looks like you are doing great! Did you have many problems pre or post surgery?

I am new to this too, but I wanted to respond to your post. I am 44 years old, 5'4", and weigh 247. I have diabetes, Borderline High Blood Pressure, sleep Apnea, and Fibromyalgia. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Group Insurance. I attended the seminar on July 17th. I met with the doctor 1 week later, and I'm already approved for the surgery, which is scheduled for August 24th.

I wanted to let you know that it didn't take long at all for me to get an approval from my insurance company. The most important thing is to have all your information up to date and in order. What I mean by that is this, I had documented every weight loss attempt, every program I had joined along with the dates. My primary physician wrote an excellent medical necessity letter which helped.

I called the insurance company every day until they put me through to the person that was making the decision on my case. I got to know that lady on a first name basis! She called me the minute I was approved, and wished me the best of luck. You know the old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets greased first" and that is so true.

I wish you much success in your journey. I'm on my first day of the liquid pre-op diet, and it's going good.

I am new to this too, but I wanted to respond to your post. I am 44 years old, 5'4", and weigh 247. I have diabetes, Borderline High Blood Pressure, sleep Apnea, and Fibromyalgia. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Group Insurance. I attended the seminar on July 17th. I met with the doctor 1 week later, and I'm already approved for the surgery, which is scheduled for August 24th.

I wanted to let you know that it didn't take long at all for me to get an approval from my insurance company. The most important thing is to have all your information up to date and in order. What I mean by that is this, I had documented every weight loss attempt, every program I had joined along with the dates. My primary physician wrote an excellent medical necessity letter which helped.

I called the insurance company every day until they put me through to the person that was making the decision on my case. I got to know that lady on a first name basis! She called me the minute I was approved, and wished me the best of luck. You know the old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets greased first" and that is so true.

I wish you much success in your journey. I'm on my first day of the liquid pre-op diet, and it's going good.

Hi MissDarlene,

I have Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Nebraska and they told me today there are no benefits for this type of surgery in our plan. My husband called them last week and they told him they would cover it if we had the right codes. When he called back with the LapBand code they said they would not cover it. Go figure! But my husband wants me to have it and will pay out of pocket. I guess he wants me around to take care of him. Ha Ha!

I am very happy for you and your quick approval. Best of Luck & stay in touch!

Hi Boomer, Welcome to the Lap Band-Wagon... I am very close to your age and I am self pay also and I am going to Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, Colorado on October 16th.. He charges $9950 for the whole works plus 3 months follow up care... Because you are out of town he will give you a number that you can call anytime with questions or problems.. Dr K and his staff are Number 1 in my book.. I highly recommend him.. It does not take very long at all to get your surgery scheduled. I chose the October date because that works best for me... You are most welcome to join us in the Dr. Kirshenbaum thread under "Doctors and Hospitals" and ask any of the others questions you may have.... I have a link to his web site below my name if you want to check it out.. Good Luck to you on where ever you decide to go..

Hi Boomer, sorry to hear your insurance company doesn't pay for the lap-band. I work for two different companies and have blue cross blue shield ins. with both. One of them covered it, and the other didn't. It just depends on what your plan administrator wants to cover.

It's wonderful that your husband is so supportive. That really means a lot. I wish you all the best!

Welcome Boomer46,

Before my insurance was approved(declined twice) I was going to go the cash route. My doctor was going to charge $11,000.00 and fill were going to cost me $150.00 each.. Good Luck