Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what point would you tell your employer that you are going to be out for surgery? When you have an actual date?

I told my work about four weeks in advance. I didn't have a date yet, but I had been approved and knew that it would be some time in the latter half of June, so I told them as much as I knew, and then promised I would get the exact dates of my leave as soon as it was firmed up.

I think it is fine to wait until you have an actual date. That had been my initial plan, but then some other people at my work started scheduling blocks of time off around the same time, so in a fit of conscience I went ahead with incomplete info so my higher-ups could have more time to plan.

Back in the day--5yrs ago, :) I asked for 3 surgery dates. That gave me some leeway when scheduling for time off. I did the office scheduling and it was much easier to make everyone happy when I had three different dates to work around everyone else's schedule---making coverage easier and smoother for everyone.

I would think the sooner the better ---that you will be needing the time off.

Good luck!

I told them when I had a date, which was about four weeks ahead of time. This also helped shift the focus to managing in my absence and what needed oversight, rather than people asking so many questions about what sort of surgery. (Which I was pretty oblique about, since it's no one else's business!)

it depends on your work situation and how they treat employees who ask for time off.

I applied for FMLA the day they called me to give me a date.

then I faxed the paperwork to HR. Once my FMLA was approved it listed the dates I would be out on continuous leave, and it was as simple as that.

my boss asked me to put off my surgery as another non clinical employee was out for knee replacement but I told her I couldn't afford to delay this as I had already waited a year due to my other health concerns. she was pretty mad, but I made the right choice as that employee did not come back and they are just now hiring the replacement.

My boss is pretty flexible, I am an accountant, and my workload is VERY manageable except at month end. Ideally I would like to be able to be out for a week or so and then work from home for another week or so. Depending on my progress.

My boss asked me to put off my surgery as another non clinical employee was out for knee replacement but I told her I couldn't afford to delay this as I had already waited a year due to my other health concerns. she was pretty mad, but I made the right choice as that employee did not come back and they are just now hiring the replacement.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

I would say it depends on work, and how comfortable you are with bosses/coworkers. I told most of my coworkers early on in the process while I was doing my NUT visits.

However, I specifically waited as long as possible, until I had a firm date for surgery and was approved by surgeon before telling my boss.

My boss had a lot of interpersonal and office etiquette/communication issues so I assumed she was going to make my having surgery weird, and man was I correct. She broke down, spent about 20 minutes trying to convince me not to have surgery. She just seemed terrified at the prospect of surgery. Tried to convince to me just go away on a retreat.

Also, find out how they handle medical leave ahead of time. I had to use up all vacation, sick time, and paid time off before they would do any paid medical leave.

Also, find out how they handle medical leave ahead of time. I had to use up all vacation, sick time, and paid time off before they would do any paid medical leave.

I talked to HR after my first Doctor's appointment. I have to use sick time first, and then I have short term disability to cover the rest.

I was just thinking about this. If everything goes well my surgery wouldn't be until October or November.

I looked at our Personnel Manual but not sure what to make of it. I think I need to take 10 days of PTO time then short-term disability kicks in.

Did anyone do fmla for the surgery? I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for any complications?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I tried to talk to my boss about fmla today and she said it wasn't covered because it's an elective surgery. Wtf everything I have read says it covered. I'm totally freaking out. I'm going to turn in the papers tomorrow and see what happens.

Sent from my KFTHWI using the BariatricPal App

My situation is unique because I am a virtual employee. But the job is demanding and high pace and I wanted to give her as much notice as possible so I told my boss that the possibility existed as soon as I saw my surgeon. So about 7 months. I am not advising that others do this but it was right for my situation. I did not tell her what it was for and she didn't ask. The managers at my company know what is and what is not appropriate to ask an employee and managers are well trained in HR matters. If she had asked I would have told her that she shouldn't ask but that I will provide HR all required info when I request FMLA. My boss has never meet me in person though we talk all the time. She really has no clue what the surgery was for because she does not know I was obese. I could tell she was genuinely concerned about my well being. I told her it was nothing serious like cancer my the surgery would improve my health and quality of life. She probably assumes it was female issues.