Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am Annette and I am scheduled for RNY on July 5th. Just looking to see who else is on this journey with me! :-)

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Hello. My surgery is much later. July 27th but I am having the sleeve. What made you decide to have the RNY and are you nervous?

Hello. My surgery is much later. July 27th but I am having the sleeve. What made you decide to have the RNY and are you nervous?

Hello! I decided to have RNY because the risk of leakage is less. I also decided on it because I will still have the other part of my stomach if for some reason I have pouch problems and need to "rest" my pouch for healing, they can give me a feeding tube in the "extra" part of my stomach that is hanging out. Lol I orginally chose the sleeve surgery because I thought it was less invasive... after much research I know that is not the case. ????

I am getting nervous, I have a blood clotting disorder and I am worried about blood clots.

What made you decide on the sleeve? Are you nervous?

Uh yeah I'm nervous! Lol. And maybe my research hasn't been thorough because I thought the sleeve was less invasive. I'm praying I have no complications such as leakage. I'm scared of bypass of the rerouting and my surgeon talked so bad about the bypass and said he really won't do them because of possible complications. So I can say my surgeon scared me from bypass whether what he Said was true or not. Idk. Can you share some of your knowledge with me about the sleeve being not like you thought ? Don't scare me too much lol.

Uh yeah I'm nervous! Lol. And maybe my research hasn't been thorough because I thought the sleeve was less invasive. I'm praying I have no complications such as leakage. I'm scared of bypass of the rerouting and my surgeon talked so bad about the bypass and said he really won't do them because of possible complications. So I can say my surgeon scared me from bypass whether what he Said was true or not. Idk. Can you share some of your knowledge with me about the sleeve being not like you thought ? Don't scare me too much lol.

Hi Miss B!

From all the research I have done and from what 2 surgeons have told me they have basically the same risk in all the documents I have read. Malnutrition is higher in GB but, if you eat right and tske your Vitamins that is not a problem. With the sleeve it is pretty common to get gerd so, if you have ingestion ever... both surgeons told me I would more then likely end up with it. GB you lose more weight. Both surgeons told me people get so concerned about having their intestines rerouted but, they never think about the fact that the other part of their stomach is being removed completely from their body to never be used ever again even in an emergency... with GB you can have a feeding tube insterted into the other part of your stomach.

If you surgeon worries about complications with GB, I would be a bit concerned about your surgeons rates.... his/her death rates, complication rates etc. The surgeon I ultimately chose has had no deaths (knock on wood), and has had 3 people out of over 1700 with complications to any of his clients. I feel very lucky I ended up finding him.

Ultimately, the deciding factor was keeping the part of my stomach for emergencies should they arise. The complications are soooo similar!

It'll be fun to keep in touch on this wonderful venture in life we are about to do!!

Ok! That definitely makes sense. The stomach is a very important organ. I just have prayed and prayed about this and my wait has been almost a year, so prayerfully nothing will happen where I need the other half of my stomach. My surgeon has a very high success rate with the sleeve. Very high. He is the most well known surgeon here in the mid south and is always busy. But I do not know his statistics on gastric bypass or what made him stop performing it. Hmm makes you wonder. At first I was rushing this whole process but now I'm basking in the next month while I still have all my stomach, cause this is going to take some major getting used to. But we are almost there! I can't wait to go shopping for clothes and be in the regular department with the cute clothes! What is one thing you're looking forward to the most after surgery?

Ok! That definitely makes sense. The stomach is a very important organ. I just have prayed and prayed about this and my wait has been almost a year, so prayerfully nothing will happen where I need the other half of my stomach. My surgeon has a very high success rate with the sleeve. Very high. He is the most well known surgeon here in the mid south and is always busy. But I do not know his statistics on gastric bypass or what made him stop performing it. Hmm makes you wonder. At first I was rushing this whole process but now I'm basking in the next month while I still have all my stomach, cause this is going to take some major getting used to. But we are almost there! I can't wait to go shopping for clothes and be in the regular department with the cute clothes! What is one thing you're looking forward to the most after surgery?

I can't wait to be able to ride a normal bicycle with normal tires with my children!! I also look forward to buying normal sized clothing too. I am going to enjoy being able to do all the things my children want to do and be able to do it with them. I am a very active Mom even though I have the excess weight but, there are alot of things like ride the bike on a normal sized tire, ride amusement park rides, go in a paddle boat without it being totally lop sided, go on a long hike up the mountains where we live, etc. I love spending time with our children and can't wait to do all things with them!!

I am preparing for an RNY next month - hoping for early July (would feel blessed with late June). My reclassification appointment is set for June 16th so it is time to prepare for the liquid diet. Hopefully, the insurance company will simply approve the procedure and things will move along smoothly. Thank you for the opportunity to post here and join a team. It is so much easier with a crew for support who are going through the same process.

Nice to meet you @Shrinkinqtpi. And wow that's excellent! I have younger children and I only wish I could be as active. It's not because of the weight but time and money. I'm in school and single and one thing I really want to learn is to take time out to enjoy life. You sound like your life is a blast! I only pray I will get a chance to travel and do those things. To let you know how crazy my life is, I think I have only been on vacation once , three years ago my whole adult life, and I'm in my mid thirties. Got to do better.

Edited by MissB1982

@@Shrinkinqtpi thank God I only have one day of liquid diet, the day before surgery and that's only to clean out our system along with the magnesium citrate. I heard those pre op diets weren't fun so I've been spared. I really cannot believe after almost a year of this process , that surgery is really almost here.

@@MissB1982 you are blessed! I am so impressed with everyone who has surgery dates way before the procedure. I have the hurry up and wait plan based on insurance. It is time to GIDDYUP!!

Thanks but it seems like it has taken forever to get this surgery date. I had basically all my requirements done at the end of last year. My medically supervised diet ended in April and I had all my pre surgery blood work done almost two months ago. Heck I didn't even know blood work for surgery was good for that long, I always thought blood work was good for only a couple of weeks before surgery. It's been rough cause I had to lose 32 pounds before surgery and I actually ended up losing 54 but I still have to try to keep it off till July. I'm sick of all of this lol. I'm just patiently waiting though. But not going to lie, I wasn't expecting the process to be this long. It's been almost a year.

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled for GB July 5th!! I'm extremely nervous. My biggest fear is becoming malnutritioned as I age. what are some of you guys biggest fears? I'm so looking forward to running around with my two young boys!!

July 5th that's excellent! I know you're excited. I don't know I think my biggest fear is just fear of the unknown. Knowing that this change is permanent. And I hate feeling sick and nauseous so I'm not looking forward to that. I don't want to pass out cause it's just me and my kids. So yeah , not really fear but more anxiety. God got me though. Are you planning on having an early fourth of July celebration or will you be on a liquid diet? I am happy I will be able to at least have one last "normal" fourth. But come this thanksgiving and Christmas we will be having a whole new experience huh? Good times lol