Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No lie....I would kill for salad

Sleeved 5/3 and I'm dying to eat a salad. I will get to have salad again, right?

I've had no other food thoughts -- sugar? Who cares! Diet Coke? Diet what? Wine? Ok, well I'm looking forward to that, too, but seriously, everything else has been fine. I just need some crunch and some Caesar or balsamic vinaigrette!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

for what it's worth I love balsamic vinegar on chicken breast chunks or steak chunks. not sure if those are allowed for you or not yet.

also I love to roll up a little lunch meat with cheese and raw spinach, so when that is allowed it may be a high Protein thing that will scratch this itch for ya. you could even dip it into a little reduced calorie or else measured out dressing.

I know of your pain! :)

You must consult with your bariatric team and get their sage advice. They will know what is best for you.

However:

This is what I did----after getting approval from my bariatric team.

I put some peeled cucumber, seeded Tomato, basil and chives into a blender with some olive oil,pinch of sweetner and balsamic vinegar---blended the "pulp" out of it and had a small glass of "ambrosia of the Gods".

I was soooooo sick of sweet, sweet, sweet that just the thought of drinking one more Protein shake had me gagging. I was approved to have one of my liquid salads three times a week. It really helped me get through the liquid diet phase.

Now, if I were to do the liquid salad again, I would add some nutritional yeast, so there would be some Protein in the drink.

Good luck and remember---you are not alone with your salad yearning. :)

Keep posting and letting us know how you make out. Why? Because we care, Silly! :)

Prayers going up.

I waited to try anything salad-y until about 6-8 weeks out (I honestly don't remember exactly). I first tried some shredded iceberg lettuce under some taco chicken I'd made. Earlier that day, there was a caesar salad on a lunch buffet at a work event. I tried three little pieces or romaine, just to see how they went.

It was heaven. And I discovered, to my complete and utter delight, that romaine and iceberg, the crunchy lettuces, are sliders for me. Now I have salad several times a week and I am very, very happy to be able to do so.

That said, I know there are folks here on these boards who have trouble with leafy greens. I've got trouble getting my required calories in for a day, and a salad with avocado and real dressing is a huge help there.

Sleeved 5/3 and I'm dying to eat a salad. I will get to have salad again, right?

I've had no other food thoughts -- sugar? Who cares! Diet Coke? Diet what? Wine? Ok, well I'm looking forward to that, too, but seriously, everything else has been fine. I just need some crunch and some Caesar or balsamic vinaigrette!

oh me too! I did notice though when I was on fluids I craved eggs and cottage cheese. as soon as I had them it did not even come close to being as good as I thought, so I hope I still love salad the way I used to.I have a long time to go :(

I'm looking forward to salads! The balsamic on chicken sounds delicious!

Edited by thisgirlhunts

for what it's worth I love balsamic vinegar on chicken breast chunks or steak chunks. not sure if those are allowed for you or not yet.

also I love to roll up a little lunch meat with cheese and raw spinach, so when that is allowed it may be a high Protein thing that will scratch this itch for ya. you could even dip it into a little reduced calorie or else measured out dressing.

Great idea! I can use the balsamic and Caesar on my chicken until I can get the crunch. I see my Nut on 6/13 and can't wait to see what options open up for me!

I know of your pain! :)

You must consult with your bariatric team and get their sage advice. They will know what is best for you.

However:

This is what I did----after getting approval from my bariatric team.

I put some peeled cucumber, seeded Tomato, basil and chives into a blender with some olive oil,pinch of sweetner and balsamic vinegar---blended the "pulp" out of it and had a small glass of "ambrosia of the Gods".

I was soooooo sick of sweet, sweet, sweet that just the thought of drinking one more Protein shake had me gagging. I was approved to have one of my liquid salads three times a week. It really helped me get through the liquid diet phase.

Now, if I were to do the liquid salad again, I would add some nutritional yeast, so there would be some Protein in the drink.

Good luck and remember---you are not alone with your salad yearning. :)

Keep posting and letting us know how you make out. Why? Because we care, Silly! :)

Prayers going up.

Thanks so much! And yes...I'm sick of the sweet!! lol

They don't recommend lettuce... it's more of a filler... and it will fill you up alot quicker then you won't have room for your Protein... but every now and then may be ok slider foods are not a good habit to strt back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

We have salad Works here. It's kinda like subway but for salads. You can build your own. I opted for the toppings only, no lettuce. Proteins, bean, cheeses stuff like that with dressing on the side. It definitely help cure my salad craving. They also didn't look at me funny when I said, no lettuce please lol

I'll occasionally get grilled chicken breast salads.

Good stuff.

They don't recommend lettuce... it's more of a filler... and it will fill you up alot quicker then you won't have room for your Protein... but every now and then may be ok slider foods are not a good habit to strt back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

I'm confused. You're saying here lettuce will fill you up to soon, and you also call it a slider?

One reason I'm enjoying my salad is because it doesn't fill me up too soon. i can get in my Protein and still get some crunch. Win-win for me.