Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Month Stall, anyone?

I do track all my macros on a daily basis. I do understand stalls, but I will not embrace them without doing anything about it; I am not complacent, I make things happen, and while I would patiently wait for it to be over doesn't mean I won't do anything about it.

@@Dub

Do you have any suggestions on how to start using this Iron? I mean, a circuit of what exercises/machines to use? I am new at weight lifting but I am very interested and on my intern salary I cannot afford a personal trainer! Ha ha...... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, the scale did move 2 pounds since yesterday, so that gives me some encouragement to continue what I am doing :D

Good for you.

scale moved.

Great for you !!!!!

The trainers can be hugely expensive. I'm sure there are some great ones out there.....but I've run across a few quacks, too.

There are a number of gyms in the area running $10 / month rates. Hard to beat them....and a couple are open 24hrs, too.

I highly recommend using the machines as they have the correct range of motion built in, provided you adjust the seat positions properly for your height/reach.

I would set up a schedule that allows you to concentrate on one major body area per session. Alternate them to allow for 3 or more days of resting that part in between sessions.

Begin by using weights that allow you to do 15+ reps and keep it to 4 sets. You want to work your way up over a few months to allow the connective tendons and tissues to strengthen. Some folks think they can just jump in and gauge everything based on muscle soreness. I had to learn the hard way that tendons and ligaments are the restricting factor and need to be coaxed over time before getting too crazy with it.

You can can get a great workout with the machines. I assure you.

I know it's not possible to really target where the fat loss occurs......but, I swear it sure feels that way. The most lean parts of my jiggly body are the parts where I've had progress developing those muscles. It really does feel like it.

I know it's not possible to really target where the fat loss occurs......but, I swear it sure feels that way. The most lean parts of my jiggly body are the parts where I've had progress developing those muscles. It really does feel like it.

this is something I often wonder about - quite a lot actually. what I do is walk walk walk. and pilates/yoga. I have seen the very most change in my legs, hips and belly - coincidence? somehow I don't think so. the walking certainly targets the legs/hips and the yoga/pilates sure targets the core.....

learning some new pilates moves to work on my arms. I hate working on my arms, dunno why. but gonna do it anyway.

@@Dub

I am a member of a gym through school, so I am covered in that area. I have been doing 10, 5 set reps on an arm machine (I cannot remember which one) to work on arms and chest. I want to add more machines, so I thank you for your advise :)

@@Dub

I am a member of a gym through school, so I am covered in that area. I have been doing 10, 5 set reps on an arm machine (I cannot remember which one) to work on arms and chest. I want to add more machines, so I thank you for your advise :)

Very cool. One of the absolute best gyms I've ever had access to was through college. Looking back......I was a fool for not taking better advantage of it.......and sticking with it ever since.

You are gonna do great.

No injuries, though.

this is something I often wonder about - quite a lot actually. what I do is walk walk walk. and pilates/yoga. I have seen the very most change in my legs, hips and belly - coincidence? somehow I don't think so. the walking certainly targets the legs/hips and the yoga/pilates sure targets the core.....

learning some new pilates moves to work on my arms. I hate working on my arms, dunno why. but gonna do it anyway.

Awesome.

Huge respect for pilates & yoga folks.

I need to do the same as soon as I get this hernia repaired again.....repaired and healed.

Awesome.

I need to do the same as soon as I get this hernia repaired again.....repaired and healed.

we are all going to be watching you to see if you are more careful this time! :D seriously, I really hate to see you get hurt.

I admit, I don't do any tricky yoga, just basic stuff and I am not going to walk on my hands to work on my arms like I do my legs, but there are things I can do to step it up a bit.

yoga has been the one thing that helps the most with long term sciatic nerve pain, and as I sit in a chair most of the day it has become invaluable to me at the end of the day. sometimes I need to do some on my lunch break if it is bothering me.

Awesome.

we are all going to be watching you to see if you are more careful this time! :D seriously, I really hate to see you get hurt.

I admit, I don't do any tricky yoga, just basic stuff and I am not going to walk on my hands to work on my arms like I do my legs, but there are things I can do to step it up a bit.

yoga has been the one thing that helps the most with long term sciatic nerve pain, and as I sit in a chair most of the day it has become invaluable to me at the end of the day. sometimes I need to do some on my lunch break if it is bothering me.

Thank you.

I tend to get carried away with things at times and engage in a way that's been the source of injuries.

I'm just the stupid type......my mantra is that if something is good.....then twice that must be better. I've come to my fitness return later in life at a time when I should be more cautious of recovery times that my body needs. I guess I hate the Toby Keith song, "Ain't as good as I once was....but as good once as I ever was". I'm just not willing to accept this.....even though I probably should.

In my warped way of thinking.........I'm still a goofy teenager at heart. :unsure:

@@Dub I'll buy enthusiastic, slow learner, maybe. but not 'the stupid type'. nope. no way.

@@Dub I'll buy enthusiastic, slow learner, maybe. but not 'the stupid type'. nope. no way.

If only you knew.

Just this afternoon........I've done something that I am sure I'll regret hugely.........because I'm stupid that way.

I'll regret it, yet let things simmer down and take the course they must.

Wisdom comes after the fact for me far too often.

If only you knew.

Just this afternoon........I've done something that I am sure I'll regret hugely.........because I'm stupid that way.

I'll regret it, yet let things simmer down and take the course they must.

Wisdom comes after the fact for me far too often.

as long as she (wisdom) does come, my friend. are you going to spill the Beans? inquiring minds want to know now.......

I am about 4 and 1/2 months and have been stalled for about 2 weeks now. I've tried not to give it much thought. I workout 6x a week cardio and weight training . I eat the required Protein and within the calories. So I know I'm not doing anything "wrong".

I am very thankful for forums like this because instead of being worried, I get to read amazing advice from people who've been there and lost even more after the stall ended. Can't wait to bust through this stall and get back to dropping!

I took a week off from the gym but still kept a strict diet and my stall broke! I went from 262 to 258. I've been working out since I got my surgery in January, and I think giving my body that little bit of a break helped. Back in the gym today though!

Hang in there! I have heard that a "six month stall" is very common, so don't fret. You are not done losing weight yet. If it's possible, try adding a few carbs into your diet - that always seems to help me if I've been stuck for a while. Maybe put Peanut Butter on one slice of bread for Breakfast every day for a week and then go back to no carbs and see if it kickstarts it.