Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much air after eating and pain!?

Hi there. I am about 3 weeks postop. I've yet to have felt dumping or any complications. At noon I had a lean cuisine which had rice and carrots in it. I felt fine eating it and of course only had a few tablespoons but I'm pretty sure I ate way too fast and too much. After about an hour I had serious air bubbles in my tummy. It was very painful. And I kept feeling air come up but couldn't belch. It has since calmed down after I dry heaved and a bunch of air came out. I am still feeling so full and have the air in there. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as it was. But it was pretty rough. I don't think this was full on dumping but maybe a version of it? It's still going on 4 hours later ( again not as intense). But I'm afraid to eat or drink anything at all. I've had no diarrhea or vomiting. Has anyone experienced this??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am not sure about bypass but we are told no rice with the sleeve. Three weeks post-op your stomach/intestines are still healing - rice could cause complications as well as expanding in your stomach and making you over-full.

At 3 weeks out, I was still on purees. I'm still not allowed rice at 8 weeks, even. That doesn't sound like dumping syndrome, but like you pushed your new system a little too far, rather with the rice itself, or the volume, or the speed. We're warned to be careful with rice forever because it can get 'stuck' at the stoma and cause a very uncomfortable blockage. I'm not sure if that's what happened with you, but I would try to get some Water down if I were you, and if you're not feeling better by morning, call your surgeon.

Ty so much for the reply. I called my doc on call and he pretty much said just that. I basically over did my pouch w that. He said I may feel this way several hours or even tomorrow and I should be on liquids for a bit. Our menu indicated that we can have the prepared meals just eat the Protein first. The rice was a HUGE mistake! He said this is my pouch letting me know it isn't happy :( at least I know nothing is seriously wrong. But lesson learned!

Yup. Rice is not a Protein... my NUT has me avoiding all simple carbs, such as rice, bread, and potatoes... carrots/peas too.

I'm 3 weeks out and pushed my pouch this weekend too with chicken salad :(

We will learn! I'm on all liquids and am going to get some chinese Soup for lunch!

I'm 3 weeks or and did the same thing except that it did make me sick. I was also allowed to try carbs at this point but just felt it was too much for me. The pain was so uncomfortable until I was able to dump it. Lesson very much learnt that was the first time I'd hd that problem since surgery and it was in my opinion just down to my stomach not being ready for that food group yet. we will get there!