Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hernia - No band?

I recently went for an Endoscopy as part of the pre-op testing. The test showed I had a hernia. The surgeon told my MSO that he would rather I have the gastric bypass surgery instead of the band because of the hernia repair. Anyone ever experience this or hear of it? I have an appointment with the surgeon on 8-20-07 and hope to ask some questions then. (I was out of it when he talked to my fiance). I'm really bummed and want the band not GBS. So I'm hopeful.

Lap it Up

Lansing Michigan

Hmmm... From what I've heard, some surgeons can repair the hernia at the same time as installing the band. There' must be a reason why he's considering switching to bypass.

I didn't know I had a hiatal hernia before being banded. Dr. K fixed the hernia and banded at the same time. I'm sure it depends on the size and placement of the hernia. I would want more info.

I'd get a second opinion on the Bypass vs. Band in regards to a hiatal hernia. Either that, or make an appt to sit down with your doctor and have him tell you, in detail, why he doesn't think a band will work.

Surgeons get paid more by the insurance companies for the bypass, so they seem to push it much harder, even when it's unncessary (as in, a lapband will fix the problem).

Everyone I know who had a hiatal hernia was able to get it surgically repaired at the same time the band was installed. It just meant a bit longer on the recovery time.

i had to have a hernia repaired also during the lapband surgery. my dr. discovered it while performing the banding and fixed it . so i know it can be done during the lapbanding... but mine may not have been in the same area as your etc. good luck...vamaillady

I had a hernia and had lapband the doc just fixed it while he was putting the lapband in. It was no big deal. Of course it did cost me an extra 250.

Hi there

I was banded last wednesday Aug 15, like others here, the Doc found a hiatal hernia, and repaired it at the same time as he did the band. He told me at the consult that it may happen, as hiatal hernias are very common in the obese. My advice, get a second opinion.

Find a new doc! Hiatal hernias are found in as many as 70% of obese people. Every good, qualified doc fixes them while banding. Takes one stitch, maybe two.

Have you checked out Hurley in Flint?

Its interesting that your doctor is discouraging the lapband. Hmmm. My experience is that I really wanted a recommendation from my surgeon because I struggled with the decision: which one shall I do, the bypass or the band? He simply would stuck to the facts about both. He found my hiatal hernia through an upper GI and wanted to treat it for a month with Nexium. He repaired it during my banding last wed. (no extra charges). Hope all of our experiences help you as you explore your options. Aloha.

Hi. I got my band on 7/26/07. I had a hiatal (sp?) hernia. My surgeon repaired the hernia when he put the band in. Doesn't seem to have been any more difficult to recuperate from. Good luck!

Find a new doc! Hiatal hernias are found in as many as 70% of obese people. Every good, qualified doc fixes them while banding. Takes one stitch, maybe two.

Have you checked out Hurley in Flint?

what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!