Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating disorders and Gastric sleeve

Hey everyone!

My name is Tia i'm currently pre-op for vsg surgery. My surgon is estimating my surgery date to be around aug-sep if all goes well with my labs and other testing. In preparation for this life long journey im about to undergo i have really started to reexamine my relationship with food. I have always been over weight since childhood and have always struggled with weightloss. When i got into my 20's. And had more freedom things spiralled out of control. My higest weight was 356 at 5'4????. My main issue has always been fast food addiction. I use a word as strong as addiction because thats exactly what it is. I would eat fast food Breakfast lunch and dinner. And go to the drive thru several times a day! Sometimes up to 4 or 5 times and alot of times spend the last of my money. then try to compensate for it with extreme diets and gym time. And i went on this cycle for YEARS, either i was binging or on a extreme diet no inbetween. I had thought about weight loss surgery briefly but ive always wanted to do it on my own. Ive always dreamed of being a trainer and coming out of this with my efforts alone. I decided to take this route about a month ago when i realized this wasnt a magic trick and i would have to put in work too. I found this book on Amazon brain over binge and i swear its changed my life! I wanted to stop the binges before i even thought of scheduling a date for surgery! This book has helped me stop my binge eating. If you are pre-op or just considering wls and suffer from any eating disorder really get your mind right first! Weight loss to me is a mind game and wls doesnt fix your brain.

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

It is great that you are addressing your food addiction issues. The surgery is only a tool, we still need to do the mental and emotional work to be healthy.

Do you have a therapist? A good eating disorders therapist can be invaluable.

You may also want to consider attending some Overeaters Anonymous (OA.org) or similar recovery meetings. There are resources, like literature and podcasts, and meeting schedules on the OA.org website.

Congrats on that first step! I am also a food addict and love Pamela Peak's books. She talks a lot about how to not only adjust how your addiction works but has good work outs.

The surgery is going to help you a lot to get started, but like stated, it is ONLY a tool. Once you are fully healed, you will be amazed how much sugar and junk you can still eat so it is important that you are addressing this addiction now. You are approaching this the right way!

I agree, Overeaters anonymous will help you a lot...just the support of others who are going through the same thing is amazing.

Good luck and welcome to the journey!

I am glad to see you are going about this the right way and getting your head in the right place to prepare. I totally agree fast food addiction is real. When I hit my heaviest back in 2011 (376pounds) I was totally addicted to fast food. In 2012 I joined a gym and committed to quitting caffeine and fast food. I was one who would eat fast food 1-3 times a day. The first several days I was literally white knuckles on my steering wheel in tears as I drove past McDonald's on my way to work and refused to drive in. It was so hard but got easier over time. I lost some weight but never could get my body to reset below around 280 ish. I gained back some weight and finally last year after much research and prayer had my sleeve done. I am now at 198.8 and still loosing. I am so grateful that I got my head in the right place before surgery as well. Good luck to you!

Tía, you remind me of myself. Really. I was a huge binger. Sometimes more than 10k calories in one day. Overweight all my life. Always said I would never get WLS because the problem is not in my stomach, it is in my brain. Lo and behold, I got sick of dealing with my diabetes and went thru the process and classes to get the sleeve. Had it on May 5th and am so glad I did. I will check that book out because I love reading about it. I have always wanted to be a nurtritionist but couldn't be with my weight the way it was. 5'5" highest was 296 (that I know of) 277 day of surgery. I'm doing great now and very glad I had the sleeve. Diabetes is in control and bp down. More energetic, lighter, etc. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Tía, you remind me of myself. Really. I was a huge binger. Sometimes more than 10k calories in one day. Overweight all my life. Always said I would never get WLS because the problem is not in my stomach, it is in my brain. Lo and behold, I got sick of dealing with my diabetes and went thru the process and classes to get the sleeve. Had it on May 5th and am so glad I did. I will check that book out because I love reading about it. I have always wanted to be a nurtritionist but couldn't be with my weight the way it was. 5'5" highest was 296 (that I know of) 277 day of surgery. I'm doing great now and very glad I had the sleeve. Diabetes is in control and bp down. More energetic, lighter, etc. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations! Im happy everything is working out for you :-) . thats so funny ive also wanted to get into nutrition but could do all the school lol. My goal after all this is to be a fitness trainer. Ive always loved the gym. How far post op are you?

Little tia