Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you know it was right for you?

I am very heavily considering sleeve surgery. I have about 100lbs that needs to come off, and it's very embarrassing that I've been so unable to get it off and keep it off on my own. I still need to do all the doctors visits that go with previous operative care, but I'd like to hear from all of you lovelies. How'd you know it was right for you? Were you scared or anxious about the decision itself (not necessarily the surgery)? What helped you through it?

I knew it was right for me when I found out I would not be starving anymore, and it is working for me!

I did not want to do a bypass because I was concerned with the consequences (dumping, Vitamins to take everyday, etc).

My problem was with food quantity. I was a big eater. food was my way to release stress. Comfort food all my life since childhood.
I knew I could follow a diet, as I did it many times before successfully , but I needed a tool to help me not to starve and put the way back. I found it :) .

I haven't had surgery yet...still in the pre-op stage...but I knew I wanted to do it when I had gotten over 100 pounds over weight and couldn't get it off and keep it off on my own. Sometimes I can get weight off easily...like with Weight Watchers...but it comes back on even easier. I know of a few people that have had surgery in the past and were very successful with it so I started praying about it and doing my research. I'm hoping to have my surgery sometime in September. My insurance company only requires 3 months with a NUT or 6 months supervised my physician. I'm opting for the 3 months with NUT. Good luck in making your decision. There are some really great people here that will answer any questions that you might have! I also suggest looking up Dr. Weiner on YouTube. He has tons of great videos.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 51, and the excess weight is really impacting my life now in a way that it didn't when I was younger. I changed primary doctors and my new doc spelled out the statistics for me, and they are not in our favor when trying to use diet and exercise to lose weight AND keep it off. The statistics after WLS are so much more promising and your odds of success are much greater. I am scheduled for surgery 6/22 and of course am nervous about how different my life will be, but I know without the surgery I am going to continue to have serious health issues. It's a process for each of us to get there mentally. Good luck on your journey :)

All my "fat" relatives are dead. I did not want to join them. I been sleeved almost two years. It is not easy. However, I have no regrets. Mentally, I have struggled to get use to being in this new body. I going to gym in a hour. I love my new life. This tool is gift.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I see my quality of life declining even while I ramping up weight loss tactics.... If I want to have a long quality life now is the time to do this... I was on the fence at first but as I have learned more I know I'm comfortable with it... It takes one back somewhat when they hear a large portion of their stomach is being removing but when you see how that fits into the big picture it all makes sense...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

There are days when I still say.....am I really doing this? I never thought I would....especially when I lost 160 lbs on weight watchers. But slowly, 100 lbs crept back on. At this point, I have serious orthopedic issues, and I don't want to wait for the diabetic, hypertension, heart, cancer, etc....all of those things that obesity increases your risk for. I went to see a bariatric physician for the first time last fall. I am 54 years old and have been overweight since I was 7 or 8 years old. I was going on a liquid diet through her practice and it was so darn hard, I was HUNGRY!!! I told her if this didn't work I was going to have to consider bariatric surgery. She listened to me, and then said, "I don't want you to consider having bariatric surgery as a failure. Obesity is recognized as a disease. You need to treat it in a way that works for you". I started the preop process unsure, and now I continue 90% sure its the right thing for me....its a little scary (and I am an RN for 32 years, so imagine my thoughts at times). But surgery is June 22......and here I go. Looking forward to another try at being successful and believing this time is the charm!! Good luck to all!!!

For me I think my defining moment was when I was sitting there looking at my softball pictures and my cheerleading pictures and all the pictures that I had when I was in high school and I realized I'm twice the woman that I was and not in a good way I originally went to my doctor to talk about being put on Phentermine just see if that paired up with my metformin and Provera to treat my polycystic ovarian syndrome would help me lose weight and he very calmly graciously and respectfully suggested an alternative of until that moment I had never even thought about periodic surgery I never believed that I was almost 300 pounds and as unhealthy as I am and when he said that I realize that I was forcing myself to see the woman that I was so I didn't feel guilty and regretful for the woman that I became so I guess my defining moment is when I realized that if I ever wanted to be her again I needed wanted needed to make a drastic change and so here I am going through all my preoperative jump through hoops praying that my insurance accepts sitting here at 49.2% body fat wondering how the hell I went from 12 to 49.2 in 10 years

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

I knew I wanted it because I wanted the life back that I've been robbed of. I want to be able to leave the 4 walls of my house and explore society and life.

My turning point was realizing that I didnt want to grow old alone was turning into the real fact I may not grow old at all. At 350ish pounds and turning 40 I was on thr cusp of all sorts of medical issues.

I had a long talk with my 'model body, eat a burger already sister' who mentioned a friend of hers had WLS, with great results.

At first I was hurt and waaayyyy angry with her. But as soon as I 'owned my problem', my decision came easy. A chat with my PCP, another tearful with my sister, and lots of research led me to my decision of rny in August this summer. Thank God for my sister, my biggest cheerleader. I have a bucket list of things I cannot wait to do as I get healthier. And remember that Healthy isnt necessarily a number on the scale or a shirt size, its a feeling. One I cant wait for! Many Blessings on your journey.