Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please HELP! Weight Gain at the 6-7 Month Post Op Mark

@@ellie123

Congratulations on the new job. That's wonderful!

I think it is very normal, and I, for one, had to suffer through a stall of a duration of about 5 months. I am just now starting to lose again, so please look towards the future and have faith in that. It looks like the early going went very well for you, and now you just need to rekindle those good habits. First and foremost, try to clear your head and enjoy your good fortunes, and the rest will slide right back into place!

I recently started eating Protein bars, and even though I changed nothing else they sent me into a complete tailspin. Constant cravings and hunger. I'm actually close to where you were, 64lbs down, 204lbs in weight. Once I removed the processed stuff (bar replacements etc) back out I was able to get a grip on my headstuff again and weed the cravings out.

I have a Protein shake to supplement my intake every day (I've just switched it to adding some unflavoured Protein to a green smoothie) and the shake mix doesn't give me those same cravings, I think because they are very low carb rather than starting higher with fibre and sugar alcohols to cut down to the 'net carb' level. The smoothie has taken my carbs up to 35-ish grams a day (usually 20-25) and even with the extra carbs they're not driving me crazy, so it's definitely a case of where those carbs are coming from that affects me. This may be something to consider when you look over your food logs.

A friend of mine recently did one day of all liquids and it brought the restriction right back, so you could try that, but you have to get the grazing under control (something I think you know). I think if you can stick to dense Proteins and away from protein 'snacks' (bars etc), you'll find it easier to keep your intake down.

If you don't work out anymore, try to reduce snacking, especially the Protein bars. They won't do any good as they are extra calories if your muscles are not recovering. Regarding traveling, I also move quite a lot and pack my bars that I use as dinner most of the time. You can always find good Protein on salad buffet. I skip main course, because I am not hungry after salad, especially if I add tuna, boiled eggs or salmon. You can always get low fat dressing on the side. No dessert while traveling. You never know what is in there. If you can find a supermarket in the area, even better. Also, if you spend some nights out on trips, take the opportunity to use the hotel gym. Most of the chains have fitness rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Update: All, wanted to check in and let you know your kind words of advice and honest scolding has been super helpful! With the exception of seeing a counselor I was able to implement it all. Substituting more real Protein for bars, ramping up the workout, bring why I did this back into focus, resetting my sleeve with shakes, cutting out the obvious BS (3 days of tortured carb abstenace to gain back control), watching and limiting the fruit, small meals, working out in hotel gyms (I never stopped doing that), focusing on protein protein protein, sipping on Water all day etc. And I am

So happy to report that The results of these efforts have yielded a 7.7lb loss so far from the 10 gained, so I'm 2.3lbs away from lowest point I hit a month ago. A part of me wants to be mad... I should be loosing or at worst maintaining here! Not te-loosing previously lost pounds, but an even bigger part of me is just plain grateful... Grateful for being back on track, grateful to have been given Air in my lungs to have another day on Gods Green Earth, and grateful for you my dear journey mates, most of whom I will never meet, but who so faithfully and caringinly keep watch over each other and me. Thank you so much! I will continue to keep you posted!!

My next challenge is daughters birthday party this weekend... There will be custom gourmet cupcakes in so many flavors. What does one do on kids birthday?? How to get through this temptation and potential leftovers (there will be lots of pizza!!), does one not Celebrate this event with their children?? and one more thing...more work travel next week, so far all weight loss has been while at home so quite nervous about restarting the travel...

Amazing!!

I work from home and also travel quite a bit. I've turned my desk I to a treadmill desk and when I'm away from home I track every bite and wear an activity tracker. Seems to help. Congrats on not just the pounds lost but realizing it and doing something about it!!

You've helped many by telling us your story. Thank you and I will remember when the same happens to me. Chin up and keep working at it . Thanks

Edited by IrishGermanRN

Update: All, wanted to check in and let you know your kind words of advice and honest scolding has been super helpful! With the exception of seeing a counselor I was able to implement it all. Substituting more real Protein for bars, ramping up the workout, bring why I did this back into focus, resetting my sleeve with shakes, cutting out the obvious BS (3 days of tortured carb abstenace to gain back control), watching and limiting the fruit, small meals, working out in hotel gyms (I never stopped doing that), focusing on Protein protein protein, sipping on Water all day etc. And I am

So happy to report that The results of these efforts have yielded a 7.7lb loss so far from the 10 gained, so I'm 2.3lbs away from lowest point I hit a month ago. A part of me wants to be mad... I should be loosing or at worst maintaining here! Not te-loosing previously lost pounds, but an even bigger part of me is just plain grateful... Grateful for being back on track, grateful to have been given Air in my lungs to have another day on Gods Green Earth, and grateful for you my dear journey mates, most of whom I will never meet, but who so faithfully and caringinly keep watch over each other and me. Thank you so much! I will continue to keep you posted!!

My next challenge is daughters birthday party this weekend... There will be custom gourmet cupcakes in so many flavors. What does one do on kids birthday?? How to get through this temptation and potential leftovers (there will be lots of pizza!!), does one not Celebrate this event with their children?? and one more thing...more work travel next week, so far all weight loss has been while at home so quite nervous about restarting the travel...

That is the spirit. Back on track. Just learn how to say no. I was at a birthday of my daughter's friends last weekend (30 kids loaded with sugar...) I just said no to cakes. She knows that Daddy had problems with his tummy and she understands I can't eat what she does. She does not mind at all. She prefers that I spend time with her dancing, playing, swimming, than seating and eating cake. Furthermore, I assume you will be very busy with your other guests, which is a great excuse for not eating cupcakes. Make sure you eat your meal too so you are not hungry during the party.

ave a drink with you all the time so you can sip on it. You can do this.

For the travel, pack your bars, eat at the salad buffet, watch your carbs and hit the gym. You are in control.

let us know how it goes!