Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating on day 6 post op

I found myself feeling "hungry" during my first two weeks post op too. Looking back I'm fairly certain that was due to two main reasons: 1) gas bubbles gurgling through my system mimicked the rumbling of an empty tummy and 2) lack of food diversity. My plan did allow cream of wheat (very thin and supplemented with Protein powder), yogurt and pudding during the full liquids phase. It helped to alternate Protein Shakes with something like Greek yogurt that has more substance. Are you meeting your protein goals everyday? When you feel hungry you should be reaching for a ready made shake or a cup of broth or even a v-8 if you need some diversity in your diet. Please reach out to your NUT or program for help.

Ok so I feel like I've cheated and regret it terribly. I want to know your thoughts and if anyone has felt the same and maybe give me tips to not doing this again.

So my short story is that today I felt so hungry I felt I could eat a whole cow. It doesn't help that I cook bfast and dinner for my 5 children 6 including the hub haha and I sit not knowING what to eat. So today for bfast I made eggs, sausage, toast and refried Beans. I did not cheat. Seriously I had nothing. Then I took the kids to daycare minus my teen and we went off to Walmart to purchase a dewarmer for my pup. She said mom can u take me to sonic to get a free slush with my app, I said sure why not. Well I ended up getting a free one too I drank it all a lemon slush I'm not proud of it but I have to be completely honest. Ugh I'm so mad at my self. Beleive me tho I paid for it badly I had to rush home to use the RR I had a terrible case of, well I leave that to the imagination. Then we got home I made dinner and I was still super super hungry so I made me Malt O Meal. A very watery one, I'm not sure if that's good or bad?? Lastly I had about 6 cheese its the small crackers I chewed them well until they were practically pureed in my mouth but still it was wrong. I'm so dissapointed in myself knowing I struggled to pay for this surgery because my insurance would not pay for it. I was just so freaking hungry and couldn't find a way to suppress my appetite.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

6 days post op you are still dealing with safety issues for your healing stomach.

Stick to the plan and quick doing risky stuff.

Also, trust me on this.......eating sugars and starches will simply make you want more of the same....it begins a horrible cycle of sugary death.

Avoid the sugars......stick to the Proteins that are on you plan.....break the cycle and you'll ease into a pattern that is free of hunger and gets the scale moving the intended direction. It only takes about a 24 period of discipline and you'll be in the hunger-free low carb zone.

Trust & believe that this will work.

FWIW, I'm doing the exact same thing.

I let some stressful times at work be the reason I grazed. i caught myself and realized the grazing desire was simply amplified by my body's response to sugar. Once I cut it out.....I felt immediately better and in control again. So easy to do. Just takes that first 24hrs of discipline.

You can do this.

How bout ask your husband to man up and do the cooking for a little while during your recovery (and/or offer them all a nutritious Protein Shake for Breakfast and let them know that they can help themselves to whatever else they wish from the fridge. Also you can avoid some of the hunger by waking up a few minutes earlier and getting in some Liquid Protein and fluids BEFORE its time for HIM to start cooking breakfast so you are not as hungry. You had this surgery to take care of yourself. And if you want to be a success (which I'm sure you do) then taking care of yourself and putting your own needs first can NOT stop when you are discharged from the hospital. And yes we've all cheated and I would like to think that most on this forum have also gotten back on track. You can do this! You can take care of yourself! You can ask for what you need. And if your husband or anyone else in your life cannot make the adjustments that you need to be physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually healthy, then you will have to make the necessary adjustment (like fixing only Protein Shakes or something else that works for you) yourself. I generally do not support trying to push your diet on others but you have to set some kind of boundaries. If nothing in your life changes except on surgery day, then your body is also not likely to change the way you want it to. It takes practice and patience but you need to learn what your limits are and then stay within those boundaries yourself and avoid trigger foods, have your Protein first so that you're not so hungry, breathe in the oxygen from your own air mask before you help others. Many of us got to where we needed this surgery because we had been "oxygen" deprived for so long. So take a deep breath and take care of YOU! [emoji4]

How bout ask your husband to man up and do the cooking for a little while during your recovery (and/or offer them all a nutritious Protein shake for breakfast and let them know that they can help themselves to whatever else they wish from the fridge. Also you can avoid some of the hunger by waking up a few minutes earlier and getting in some liquid Protein and fluids BEFORE its time for HIM to start cooking breakfast so you are not as hungry. You had this surgery to take care of yourself. And if you want to be a success (which I'm sure you do) then taking care of yourself and putting your own needs first can NOT stop when you are discharged from the hospital. And yes we've all cheated and I would like to think that most on this forum have also gotten back on track. You can do this! You can take care of yourself! You can ask for what you need. And if your husband or anyone else in your life cannot make the adjustments that you need to be physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually healthy, then you will have to make the necessary adjustment (like fixing only protein shakes or something else that works for you) yourself. I generally do not support trying to push your diet on others but you have to set some kind of boundaries. If nothing in your life changes except on surgery day, then your body is also not likely to change the way you want it to. It takes practice and patience but you need to learn what your limits are and then stay within those boundaries yourself and avoid trigger foods, have your protein first so that you're not so hungry, breathe in the oxygen from your own air mask before you help others. Many of us got to where we needed this surgery because we had been "oxygen" deprived for so long. So take a deep breath and take care of YOU!

Awesomely said! Thanks

Sounds to me like the Family Diet needs overhauled~

Menu plan to include things you can eat,

and take it a step further to include the children in the menu planning process, depending upon age...its never to soon to learn about nutrition and the differences between being hungry, bored and the true meaning of what food is, its not a reward, nor something you deserve, its FUEL for your body to function and provide nutrients for your brain , heart and organs

its happening in this house I promise~~~

@@DebraM04 - Let me tell you what my therapist would (has) told me. First, take a deep breath and forgive yourself. Seriously.... don't give yourself reason to do it again but just FORGIVE. This thing isn't all about willpower. It is some (it has to be) but you have a tool to help and will learn a new lifestyle. I don't know about you, but I have a very rebellious personality (only when it comes to food), so my therapist has really had to work with me on that. Yesterday she asked me if one of beloved nephews that I spend so much time with is rebellious / strong willed and if so, how I handle it. (I don't have children.) My response was that I try to take a deep breath, not yell, send them to their room and give us both a minute to calm down and then go back and try to discuss calmly if they understood why I sent them to their room and how we can handle it better next time and then we go do something else. (See, can't you tell I am not a parent? If I had to deal with my own children every day, I KNOW I wouldn't be that calm. :D Not that easy!) But what I am trying to say is, if you just try to push / pull your way through this chanting "next time I will be better", you will likely "relapse" again. My therapists says she sees so many that work the program this way and then end up in her office just exhausted and have a "break". I am 1 year post-op tomorrow and I have had my struggles and my breaks and binges (mostly on chips and cheez-its) but when my therapist said this to me this week, it is like it finally clicked in my brain!

If you are able to see a therapist, I strongly encourage that you do (but I understand with 5 children that may be very difficult). This is a very long process (life-long in fact). You will eventually learn to take it not one day at a time, but truly one bite at a time. Eventually (hopefully) it all becomes habit. I am still working on that.... trust me, I don't have it all figured out. I just wanted to reach out to you and say - Ok, you did it. It's done. You cannot undo it. Just try to search why and how you can stop it from happening next time.

With regard to the hunger part, if you suspect it is at all acid (which is VERY common), it is possible you need a stronger PPI. I had to take a prescription strength Protonix (Pantoprozole) twice daily for a long time to keep mine under control.

I hope some of this helped!! HUGS!! Tomorrow is a new day! You got this!

@@DebraM04 - Let me tell you what my therapist would (has) told me. First, take a deep breath and forgive yourself. Seriously.... don't give yourself reason to do it again but just FORGIVE. This thing isn't all about willpower. It is some (it has to be) but you have a tool to help and will learn a new lifestyle. I don't know about you, but I have a very rebellious personality (only when it comes to food), so my therapist has really had to work with me on that. Yesterday she asked me if one of beloved nephews that I spend so much time with is rebellious / strong willed and if so, how I handle it. (I don't have children.) My response was that I try to take a deep breath, not yell, send them to their room and give us both a minute to calm down and then go back and try to discuss calmly if they understood why I sent them to their room and how we can handle it better next time and then we go do something else. (See, can't you tell I am not a parent? If I had to deal with my own children every day, I KNOW I wouldn't be that calm. :D Not that easy!) But what I am trying to say is, if you just try to push / pull your way through this chanting "next time I will be better", you will likely "relapse" again. My therapists says she sees so many that work the program this way and then end up in her office just exhausted and have a "break". I am 1 year post-op tomorrow and I have had my struggles and my breaks and binges (mostly on chips and cheez-its) but when my therapist said this to me this week, it is like it finally clicked in my brain!

If you are able to see a therapist, I strongly encourage that you do (but I understand with 5 children that may be very difficult). This is a very long process (life-long in fact). You will eventually learn to take it not one day at a time, but truly one bite at a time. Eventually (hopefully) it all becomes habit. I am still working on that.... trust me, I don't have it all figured out. I just wanted to reach out to you and say - Ok, you did it. It's done. You cannot undo it. Just try to search why and how you can stop it from happening next time.

With regard to the hunger part, if you suspect it is at all acid (which is VERY common), it is possible you need a stronger PPI. I had to take a prescription strength Protonix (Pantoprozole) twice daily for a long time to keep mine under control.

I hope some of this helped!! HUGS!! Tomorrow is a new day! You got this!

It Means so much so much to hear all this. I think a big part was because I felt alone because everyone in my house is not supportive at all I mean they eat anything and everything they want. I appreciate it, I do. I did way better today had nothing bad. But I think I may have caught my 3 year old stomach bug. Not good but I'll survive. Thanks your time is greatly appreciated

I am 9 days out. I'm feeling really good and not getting hungry. Smells and looking at food makes me mentally hungry but once I except that I get over it.

What are you eating throughout the day?

I start my day with either:

green smoothie or

Beetroot carrot apple juice or

Yoghurt or

Choice of two milk based smoothies - banana, milk, honey, pbutter, oats, almonds (soaked), Macca powder, cacao powder but of ice blended for a few mins. Or I what pbutter and honey for blueberries.

lunch - home made Soup or yogurt or green smoothies

dinner - same as above

Water in between meals

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 9 days out. I'm feeling really good and not getting hungry. Smells and looking at food makes me mentally hungry but once I except that I get over it.

What are you eating throughout the day?

I start my day with either:

green smoothie or

Beetroot carrot apple juice or

Yoghurt or

Choice of two milk based smoothies - banana, milk, honey, pbutter, oats, almonds (soaked), Macca powder, cacao powder but of ice blended for a few mins. Or I what pbutter and honey for blueberries.

lunch - home made Soup or yogurt or green smoothies

dinner - same as above

Water in between meals

I have for Breakfast early Muscle Milk lactose free. (Milk destroys my stomach). Water or Gatorade (watered down) in between if I get hungry I will have Malt O Meal. Then chicken broth for lunch. Maybe 2 or 3 ounces of another Protein drink usually my Forever Fit one. Then maybe snack SF Jello. For dinner I'll have chicken broth again or if I'm not hungry I will have nothing. Usually the craving do come from my head it's like I just need to have it in my mouth.

@@DebraM04,

I think you need to look at the short-term and the long term. In the short term, you need to recover from surgery. If you go off of your diet, you will continue to need to rush to the bathroom. I would think that would be motivation in itself to avoid the sugary treats!

In the long term, you might want to make a plan for what you will do in certain situations. What will you do when you find yourself holding a free lemon slush? Will you use your body as a trash can, or will you use the trash can as a trash can? And what will you do when you are hungry at home? Will you have healthy Snacks around? The liquid diet is only short term, so try to just take it one day at a time and plan for how your long-term diet will go.

Ask yourself what caused you to go off your diet. In the case of the lemon slush, it wasn’t hunger. Maybe you could have found a low-calorie, lemon-flavored drink to have instead.

As for the hunger, it is hard. It may be something you need to get used to, at least for a while. With that said, maybe you can accept it and learn to love it. Maybe you can try to tell yourself that you’re hungry because you’re doing the right thing, and your body is letting you know that you’re losing weight. Even changing your attitude by trying to welcome hunger instead of getting frustrated by it might help you cope a little better.

If you’re an emotional eater, I suggest you get help! At the very least, try to figure out why you eat and what you can do instead, as well as which feelings you are dealing with (or trying to hide) and how you can address them better.

Good luck!

I AM ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!

"Will you use your body as a trash can, or will you use the trash can as a trash can?"

WORD!

(and yes, overhaul everyone's eating style. If you cook, take a break, they get what you cook, which should only be what is good for you, they don't need weight issues later either!)

You were hungry 6 days post op? I'm 10 days post op and never feel "hungry" sometimes I get hunger pangs from an empty tummy, but I have no desire to eat.. I can only eat about 2 oz of puréed Soup - very, thin. I found out the hard way I can't handle anything thick yet.

Yes. I feel so so hungry. Today is my 6th day post op. I had the lap band prior and I guess I have the same restriction I don't know.

Are you taking an acid reducer? It's more likely acid or head hunger. If you're "hungry" - have something from your plan.
Kristen- did ou have your surgery yet???