Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Family Support for surgery in Mexico

Hello All!

I am a long-time lurker on these forums. After a year of researching and going back and forth, I finally decided on which procedure I would prefer, and by which doctor. I am a self payer , since my insurance does not cover WLS at all.

I spoke with my mother about this, as I would like her to be my travel companion. And I was surprised by how adamant she was that I not have the surgery in Mexico, how it is 3rd world country, and Tijuana is not the place to go for anything, and Americans just aren't safe in Mexico.

It really took me by surprise considering, although I live in GA now, I was born in San Diego and taken to TJ as a baby, and my mother grew up in Arizona and would make frequent trips to MX.

I am certain I am not the first person to experience this, and wont be last either...So I wanted to see how any of you dealt with resistance like this from your family?

Thanks in advance :)

This is a sensitive subject for many. We all seem to take our very limited subjective experiences with this country and stamp it with our judgements. My experience has always been positive with the Mexican culture. In fact, I find the culture to be more kind and accepting than the US (generally speaking, of course), Ask your family to be more compassionate toward you and your decision.

Hi nerd_is_inferred,

Sorry to hear that your mom doesn't like the idea of you going to Tijuana for surgery.

Why don't you join our Facebook Group and contact some of our patients so they can talk with your mom about their experience?

BariatricPal TeamMX Weight Loss Surgery Group

Please contact me if you have any questions.

My mom initially balked at the idea of me having surgery in Mexico, but quickly changed course and got on board with me going there when I provided her with the information I'd gathered. Medical Tourism has become increasingly popular because of the exorbitant healthcare costs in the United States. My husband is a physician and has had patients from his hospital (Cedars Sinai in Beverly Hills) who've gone to Tijuana and other destinations for various medical treatments because it's far more financially feasible. Some major insurance companies are even beginning to cover costs associated with Medical Tourism because it's less expensive on their end as well.

For me, having surgery in Tijuana was the only possible way I could justify having it because of the costs. My BMI was well under 35, and my insurance didn't consider my PCOS as a reason for coverage. They weren't going to cover a cent of the costs. I consulted with the local surgeons my endocrinologist had recommended to me, but their fees ranged from $29,000 to $35,000. My husband and I are young professionals still paying off student debt, so that was an insurmountable cost for us at this point. The facilities where I had my surgery in Tijuana, CER, are brand-new. So new, in fact, that the one downside of them was the construction that was still going on when I was there and the noise that created. It was infinitely nicer than the facilities I've been to in Los Angeles. The staff were competent and caring. I checked the credentials and reputation of my surgeon in advance, and felt confident with him. He was kind and did an excellent job. I don't think the outcome would have been the slightest bit different if I'd paid $35,000 instead of $4200 (which included my hotel stay at the Marriott and all ground transportation). My parents stayed at the Marriott, which was a bit dated, but very comfortable, and the staff was eager to please. They were shuttled to and from the hospital every morning by the hotel van for free (though they always tipped generously) and even taken to a nearby shopping center where there's an Applebee's, Starbucks, and several other eateries and stores.

Tijuana is actually prettier and nicer than many people realize. The border area is touristy and sketchy, but beyond that there are streets with manicured medians and pleasant areas. The hotels and the hospitals most patients stay in are in safe neighborhoods. There are some surgeons with poor reputations, like Dr. Almanza, but there are many excellent ones. There's shady doctors in the US, too.

I would do some research on surgeons in Tijuana. Find out what facilities they use and the hotels their guests stay in. Present that information to your mom. Some former patients have posted videos on YouTube about their experiences, so you might be able to find some to show to her. I found pictures patients had posted on Real Self and this forum. I also wrote to several patients and asked about their input on their surgeon. The whole process was really simple, and surprisingly enjoyable for me and my parents.

I think it is just the thought of going out of the country, I told my mom I was going to Texas, which is a half truth since I am flying into Texas. She couldn't understand why I couldn't find a doctor close by. I shr owed her the doctor and all his credentials, She just wouldn't;t be able to wrap her head around it!

Clementine Sky, how many trips did you have to take down? And do you mind to share the name of your surgeon? Curious if (s)he does revisions to RNY or not. I'm wandering if my pouch is expanded what it would entail to redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Clementine Sky, how many trips did you have to take down? And do you mind to share the name of your surgeon? Curious if (s)he does revisions to RNY or not. I'm wandering if my pouch is expanded what it would entail to redo it.

I just made one trip to Tijuana for the surgery, but have been there several other times for various reasons. I'd been in touch with my surgeon's office via email prior to booking the surgery. I volunteer about an hour south of Tijuana with my church group, so I've been to the city enough times to be at peace. When you are going there for surgery you'll be picked up at the border by a driver who has a pass for the medical express lane, which is must faster and simpler to get through.

My surgeon's name is Dr. Fernando Garcia. I believe he does a revision, but I never researched that since I had the VSG.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/369341-getting-family-support-for-surgery-in-mexico/#entry4174990

The coordinator he uses is based in the US and accredited with the BBB, if that helps provide any measure of reassurance.

@@nerd_is_inferred - Yep this is hard for many Americans to wrap their heads around, but in the post ObamaCare environment I think it will gain even more acceptance. My mom was highly skeptical going in, but she was a big fan by the time I was done. [she is a retired RN, lives in San Diego and has a good working knowledge of Spanish so I paid for her to join me, because it got everyone else off my back].

She was impressed with the nursing care. It reminded her of what she was used to before managed care took over the US. The rooms are bigger and less cluttered than they are in the states. We do a great deal of unnecessary procedures in the states because of fear of lawsuits.

I felt safer in Mexico than I do in parts of Chicago and Washington DC (when I get lost, it is always in the wrong neighborhood).

Google your facility and see if there are any objective studies on post-operative infection rates from ISID or other groups. I was surprised to find out that the hospital I went to had a lower rate of post-operative infections that most locations in Oklahoma. I don't think the US is the gold standard we think we are: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/health/hospital-infections/. We have too much crap in small rooms with multiple patients. We don't clean enough, but they mopped four times a day at the facility I was at. So I am not above shaming anyone who wants to attack private care in Mexico and in most countries in Central/South America.

You can find crap surgeons in the US or anywhere else if you don't do your homework. But most I have checked out from reputable medical tourism services have great credentials. And many practice in the states too.

My surgery is scheduled for June 24 with Dr. Illan in TJ. It took a bit of convincing to get my husband on board... But I have done a ton of research and just shared everything I found with him. As far as my close family goes.... I warned them to let me finish talking before they shut me down. I explained everything to them.. All the research, the statistics, the doctor, hospital everything and told them that I haven't found anything concerning or one bad review yet. After explaining every detail to them I told them if they were still concerned then r

Oops.... Then research it themselves and let me know if they found something concerning. Good luck!

I think going abroad for surgery sends alarm bells ringing, an instinctual fear coming from that cheaper surgery means lower quality. It's the picture you get from a cut-rate price that makes people panic. I didn't go to Mexico as I am UK based, but I did go to Eastern Europe (the Czech Republic) as the prices were so much lower and the care was comparable (or, in terms of how long I could stay and be looked after in the hospital, better), and got a very similar reaction from my mum.

I'm scheduled for July 29 in Tijuana. I'm lucky that most of my family is very supportive of my decision. My husband, however, is very much not. He's got a large and in charge personality and he's convinced that if I drink a cup of Metamucil before every meal, I'll accomplish the same effect that the surgery has. I have tried until I'm blue in the face to explain why that won't work for me but he won't hear it. So, after a year of him telling me to wait, I took matters into my own hands and booked surgery in Mexico. I am very excited about it, and my amazing mom will be coming with me. She didn't even hesitate to say yes when I approached her about coming. I'm so lucky to have that, because even though I'm excited about it, it's a topic that can't be discussed at home without a fuss. I'm confident he'll change his mind though as I get smaller and smaller. He may even be a future patient of Dr Illan too, he just doesn't know it yet :)

P.S. Where in GA are you? I live in Chattanooga now but I'll always be a GA girl

You aren't alone! I have decided this week to go ahead with the surgery as well...I have submitted my paperwork and anxiously awaiting Dr. Ilan's approval (hopefully). My mother is VERY nervous, but is becoming more on board every day. The main thing is to keep them informed. Let them know this isn't some rash decision and you have done your homework. I have forwarded her the emails that TeamMx has sent me to show her how knowledgeable and kind they are, and that these doctors and nurses are educated and trained. It has made a huge difference in her and I see her coming aboard now. I also explained to her that this team of people have given me hope...hope that I haven't had in years. Good luck, hopefully in time they will understand and be supportive. :-)