Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Family Support for surgery in Mexico

Thank you so much Bill! I may just take you up on that! :-)

Thank you so much Bill! I may just take you up on that! :-)

I will love to speak with you..!

I will be available Tuesday at BP office

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm scheduled for July 29 in Tijuana. I'm lucky that most of my family is very supportive of my decision. My husband, however, is very much not. He's got a large and in charge personality and he's convinced that if I drink a cup of Metamucil before every meal, I'll accomplish the same effect that the surgery has. I have tried until I'm blue in the face to explain why that won't work for me but he won't hear it. So, after a year of him telling me to wait, I took matters into my own hands and booked surgery in Mexico. I am very excited about it, and my amazing mom will be coming with me. She didn't even hesitate to say yes when I approached her about coming. I'm so lucky to have that, because even though I'm excited about it, it's a topic that can't be discussed at home without a fuss. I'm confident he'll change his mind though as I get smaller and smaller. He may even be a future patient of Dr Illan too, he just doesn't know it yet :)

P.S. Where in GA are you? I live in Chattanooga now but I'll always be a GA girl

Yeah, I am in the opposite kind of, ha-ha! My husband is ALL about me doing it. He knows I have been thinking this over for about a year, But the the family I have told, are the ones who seems so scared for me and don't really understand.

I am in Marietta, Chattanooga isn't too far way! My MIL is from Chattaboogie!

I think going abroad for surgery sends alarm bells ringing, an instinctual fear coming from that cheaper surgery means lower quality. It's the picture you get from a cut-rate price that makes people panic. I didn't go to Mexico as I am UK based, but I did go to Eastern Europe (the Czech Republic) as the prices were so much lower and the care was comparable (or, in terms of how long I could stay and be looked after in the hospital, better), and got a very similar reaction from my mum.

I agree....I also think with my family, some of it is good old American pride...We're the best at everything, so that means no one else does it as good or better...And I don't think that way at all...I would be more worried about getting "a deal" on the surgery here in the states, because then I wonder what corners they are cutting to make it affordable...I feel like for a fraction of the price in Mexico, I'll get better care, in a state of the art facility, and the procedure will be completed by a surgeon who performs it routinely...

I'm scheduled for July 29 in Tijuana. I'm lucky that most of my family is very supportive of my decision. My husband, however, is very much not. He's got a large and in charge personality and he's convinced that if I drink a cup of Metamucil before every meal, I'll accomplish the same effect that the surgery has. I have tried until I'm blue in the face to explain why that won't work for me but he won't hear it. So, after a year of him telling me to wait, I took matters into my own hands and booked surgery in Mexico. I am very excited about it, and my amazing mom will be coming with me. She didn't even hesitate to say yes when I approached her about coming. I'm so lucky to have that, because even though I'm excited about it, it's a topic that can't be discussed at home without a fuss. I'm confident he'll change his mind though as I get smaller and smaller. He may even be a future patient of Dr Illan too, he just doesn't know it yet :)

P.S. Where in GA are you? I live in Chattanooga now but I'll always be a GA girl

Yeah, I am in the opposite kind of, ha-ha! My husband is ALL about me doing it. He knows I have been thinking this over for about a year, But the the family I have told, are the ones who seems so scared for me and don't really understand.

I am in Marietta, Chattanooga isn't too far way! My MIL is from Chattaboogie!

I know Marietta very well! I grew up in Kennesaw! I'm there all the time, my parents and my sisters family all still live there! Small world!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For my band in 2010 I used Dr. Ortiz with the OCC and had nothing but amazing things from them. I did get a lot of comments on support groups, PCP and family about going to Mexico but knew that I had no other choice because of cost. We had a great trip and amazing care. It was hard to find follow up care because no one wanted to mess with the band here in the states but I did find a dr who took me on. That was the only downside to going that route. It might be different now (6 years later) and after care might be more understanding.

I had my surgery in 2002 with Dr Pedro Kuri and would do it again if given the choice. Back then, the band was only approved in the US for a few years..most insurance companies would only cover gastric bypass and even if I wanted to self pay here, most US surgeons had only placed a handful of bands. I did a lot of research and found the top band surgeons were in Mexico and Italy at that time. Dr Kuri had already placed over 300 bands when I went for surgery. He was at a little hospital run by nuns at the time..Sanatorio San Francisco. Very simple place, but clean and had no issues. Living in Nor Cal at the time, I did return for fills for the first few years..only had a few fills..but started going to a somewhat more local surgeon willing to fill Mexican patients.. I managed to lose all the weight I wanted to..over 130lbs and stayed at my goal weight for over 4-5 years. Unfortunately I wish I would have kept going to Dr Kuri..2 years ago I did a routine fluoroscopy at Kaiser just to make sure all was well..it had been years since I had a flouro..well..turns out that last fill years ago with the other surgeon I got overfilled and wound up expanding my esophagus. My band was unfilled, I gained 50lbs back quickly and after a few refills by Kaiser and one final one InFebruary of this year by that same surgeon's office I first went to after stopping going to Mexico..that nurse most likely caused a massive infection around my port..I just had two procedures inTJ with Dr Kuri to first get rid of the infection and then have to go back and have the port removed as the infection was not healing as we had hoped. If I had continued my aftercare with Dr Kuri all those years, he never would have overfilled me under flouro and I would not have gotten an infection from a surgeon's nurse with God knows how many fills she has done in comparison. I am lucky after 14 years to still have my band. A new port will be put back in after I time to heal up. Iam filled to close to where I was without being overfilled.

I would never hesitate to have surgery in Mexico. I actually have only ever had surgery in Mexico as my band surgery and those last two port procedures were all the surgery I ever have had. Dr Kuri is very caring and he knows bands..he has to date installed over 5500 bands!! 5500!! He has a very low rate (less than 1%) problem rate..the skill of the surgeon and how he places the band and the aftercare are what I believe makes this surgery a success.

His newest hospital is literally less than 2 miles across the border. Very modern and the staff all fabulous.It is definitely less formal than here...we talked about food and where to get the best agua frescas nearby while I was stitched up! I was under local for the port removal.

The pharmacies there are interesting too. I wound up going to pick up antiobiotics prescriptions to same place both times and they have everything already boxed up. Quick to get in and out. Love that!

If you are choosing Mexico, I advise:

1. Do your research on the Doctor. How many bands has he placed and how long as he been doing it? Don't base your decision on who is the lowest price. This is your life and long term commitment.

2. Aftercare- can you easily get back for aftercare. Don't rely on a local doctor for fills. Does your doctor do free fills for life? Dr Kuri only charges for fluoroscopy which is the hospital charge...$95. Of course you have travel costs..but factor this into your decision. If you must rely on local doctor, make sure you go with flouroscopy fills OR get the band checked under flouro at least once a year to make sure all is well in there. Your bands longevity depends on it!! Believe me.

3. Go to TJ with an open mind. Yes..it is a bit crazy there in some areas..some folks may not be used to this..I grew up in Los Angeles and TJ is like some parts of L.A...so no big deal to me..but I never felt unsafe there..at all!! It does take some patience if you don't speak Spanish. Everyone there is very accommodating. Make sure your doctors office helps with making sure you get in and out of Mexico easily and what to expect.

If anyone wants more information from me, feel free to send me a private message..happy to talk to anyone by phone as well! My family was skeptical at the time, but they knew I did my research.

Best of luck!!