Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food is boring! It's not fun anymore!

Ok I always knew that enjoying food as much as I used to was wrong and it was the main reason I would always get week and tempted every time I dieted.. I also knew that that will change after surgery, but I never imagined it to change to this extend!!!

Seriously eating now is the most boring task of my whole day. Everything tastes bland and I have no appetite what so ever. I could literally get stuffed on half an egg. I average around 250 calories per day and on my best days 400. It seems I'm allergic to certain ingredient in Protein Shakes so I can't do Protein shakes and have to get my protein from food. So I spend my whole day trying to eat as much as I can only because I have to and not because I enjoy it.. I feel nauseous almost all the time. And I'm 1 month post op and lost 13 kg in one month which is over what I should be losing in one month. I only have 9 kg left to reach my goal weight and looking at how things are going for me I think I will be reaching my goal weight within the next month. Anyone reached their goal weight within 2 month!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mmy

That is not enough calories. Am I reading correctly - you only had 46lbs to lose to goal and had Bypass? I would encourage you to make food taste better and make your own Protein shakes to increase your calories and Protein.< /p>

Yes I had 48-50 lbs to lose. I had a mini gastric bypass.. I don't know how to make food taste better! Everything tastes horrible yet I force myself to eat. I feel my pouch is just not allowing anymore food in.. It hurts so bad if I eat more

I am a little confused. You lost 13 kg (29 pounds) in the first month and think you will reach your goal weight by losing another 9 kg soon. That means your goal weight is a loss of 49 pounds.

Many individuals loose a significant amount more than that. Goal weight is an artificial number. I think between I and my surgeon, we set my goal weight initially at 190 pounds (86 kg). That was a number that I would be satisfied with and consider the surgery a success. But I lost a lot more than that. At one point I dropped all the way down to 143 pounds (65 kg).

Eventually, some flavor will return to your meals. Your taste buds will recover somewhat. I found that mixing food groups together such as in chili and Soups gave the food more flavor. It is important for you to resolve your issues with using Protein supplements (protein shakes, powders).

Im ten months out and 7 pounds away from my goal weight. You're only a month out. My appetite didn't come back until month 5-6. Then it came back with a vengeance. If youre concerned with caloric intake, try making your own shakes and, if you can tolerate it, add a bit of real fruit to your shake for more calories/fiber/natural sugars. Careful though, moderation is the key- some people cant handle fruit (even blended) at that stage. Are you allergic to the whey in shakes? Although it's inferior Protein, you could try plant based Protein Powder. Its better than no shakes at all. Shakes will help you keep your hair too. Protein deficiency is no fun.

Oh! For goodness sakes- go to a Spice Shop!!!! They have AMAZING blends of spices ( not spicy spices- just differing blends of seasonings, etc) that will open your world!

Whether you are zipping up some cottage cheese to making a tasty, healthy stir fry, they sell little 2 and 3 oz packets for you to try without investing a crap ton of money. It is SO worth it, especially if you are not an adventuresome cook yet.

The shop workers are knowledgeable on how to use them. Spend time sniff in them and learning about them, and bring 4 or 5 of the most interesting home. You will expand your palate, make your food tasty and learn more!

@@James Marusek..

Yes I lost 13kgs in the first month. Ideally I should weigh 50-55 kg. If I go below 45 kg then I'm underweight. Initially I was booked for a sleeve but my surgeon convinced me to go for a mini gastric bypass and assured me I will not lose more weight than required and if I do then the surgery is reversible unlike VSG which is not.. I dump on Protein shakes and porridge. But not on sugar!! I honestly don't know what's causing the dumping!

How do I make my own Protein Shakes? And what's a good substitute??! I really feel lethargic

Btw my oral intake was much better 10 days ago.. Then all of a sudden it went down hill and everything tastes just so horrible

@@StefanieSparklePants how can I make my own Protein shakes? I'm not sure what in Protein Shakes I'm allergic to but I tried different brands and all had the same effect on me. The only other thing that cause the same reaction (what seemed like dumping syndrome) was porridge!!

@@LisaMergs btw I don't live in the states. And the options we have are very limited. I'll look online though and try and find a good substitute.. Thanks for the help

Mini-gastric bypass is a different operation than gastric bypass, so the rules to follow may be different. And although we are trying to help you some of our advice may be incorrect.

There are different types of Protein supplements. In general they fall into three categories, Protein shakes, protein add in powders and Protein Bars. Generally you need to be several months post-op before Protein Bars are an acceptable alternative because you need for your body to heal. There are several types of Protein Shakes, some are powders you mix with either milk or Water. Others are premixed. There is at least one type with a lot of protein called Isopure. It is very different than the rest. I hated the taste but my wife liked it. So you might give that type a try. You can use milk as protein. Some take milk and fortify it buy adding powdered milk. Experiment until you find a good way of getting more protein in your diet.

Mini-gastric bypass is a different operation than gastric bypass, so the rules to follow may be different. And although we are trying to help you some of our advice may be incorrect.

There are different types of Protein supplements. In general they fall into three categories, Protein shakes, Protein add in powders and Protein Bars. Generally you need to be several months post-op before protein bars are an acceptable alternative because you need for your body to heal. There are several types of Protein Shakes, some are powders you mix with either milk or Water. Others are premixed. There is at least one type with a lot of protein called Isopure. It is very different than the rest. I hated the taste but my wife liked it. So you might give that type a try. You can use milk as protein. Some take milk and fortify it buy adding powdered milk. Experiment until you find a good way of getting more protein in your diet.

Thanks. I have tried adding powdered milk to regular milk and ended up having diarrhea .. Tried it again and same thing, tried milk alone and again same thing. Wonder if now I'm becoming lactose intolerant or not!! Used to have milk perfectly fine for the first 2 weeks after surgery. The pre-mixed Protein shake had the same effect as protein shakes. Protein bars I can take and didn't have a problem with but i can only take in very small amount of food per day so I spent a whole day just chewing on one Quest protein bar! Which is around 20g.. Again this wasn't the case almost 10 days ago and my oral intake was much better. I'll try making my whey at home from Greek yogurt and see how that goes. Sardines packed in oil is something I can handle well at the moment. And it's a good source of protein. Thing is my doctor doesn't seem to be bother about protein intake that much I wonder why!! My loop was made shorter than usual because he said I don't need to lose much and having a shorter loop will make nutrient absorption better. To be honest I did consult another Bariatric surgeon 2 days ago and asked him for his opinion. He said I should be a low risk since my loop is shorter but he would've preferred a VSG for my case.

Mini GB has the same weight loss expectations as GB and sometimes more. I would be very concerned that you're not getting enough Protein, nutrients and calories. Here's some recipes for making Protein shakes.

http://greatist.com/eat/high-protein-smoothie-recipes

Thank you sooooo much for the links. They sure are helpful. ❤️

Try pinterest I started looking at it before I had my surgery. I looked up some of my favorite foods and it gave some options on how to do it healthier. That's where I discovered the veggetti spiralizer, califlower pizza dough. And educating myself on baking.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App