Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling to Mexico for surgery

Today is my 2@ day in the preop diet, surgery is jun 8

I'm 5'3 -200 pounds , low IBM

I will stay in there for 4 days , 3 nights coming back home Saturday night ,it's a 6 hours fly from San Diego to Boston .

I'm very scared and anxious .

Have anyone here travel to Mexico for surgery ? What did you take with you? How did you get a doctor here ( US) to follow post- op?

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

good luck and a quick recovery!

I went to Mexico for WLS a little more than 3 years ago. I just took my clothes and other personal items. It would be a good idea to take some GasX strips with you in case you need them but the staff at the clinic I went to gave me everything else I needed.

When you get to San Diego you will find it easy to find where you need to go to find your ride etc. The airport staff are very helpful and are very used to bariatric patients asking for help finding their way.

I flew in one evening, went to the Dr's office then the hotel. The Dr's office provided all transportation and made sure I got to the right place on time. The next morning I had surgery, stayed in recovery overnight, had the leak test that afternoon, they removed the drain, and I flew home later that day. I was awfully tired but made it home just fine.

When I got back I called a couple of local bariatric surgeons in my town and found one to take my stitches out when it was time. It cost me about $80 for that.

My experience going to Mexico for WLS was overall good and trouble free. The sleeve they gave me works like a charm and has given me no problems at all.

Good luck to you and try not to worry too much. You'll do great:)

Hey lovemyself! I am 5'3 and 200 pounds as well... I am in the process of scheduling my surgery.. Would you mind talking about stages of progress with me please?

I sent you a private message! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just returned from sleeve surgery in Mexico 3 days ago. Everything went very smoothly. I overpacked so my advice would be to bring just a carryon if you can. In the hospital you just wear their gown. Slippers are good to bring to wear over the support hose as you're walking the halls. For after discharge bring a dress or loose fitting elastic waist sweats type thing as your belly will be a little distended from the gas and fluids they fill you with. Gas x strips are great, as is bullion/broth cubes or packets for back at the hotel or on the plane home. Other than that and personal items there's not much else you need. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just got sleeved in Mexico on May 31st and I went by myself. Take ton of gas stips slippers loose fitting clothes, a heating pad. They have great pt care and great drugs that you'll need.

I don't have my packing list saved on this laptop, but this one is similar to mine: https://4ortyby4orty.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/packing-for-the-hospital-stay-a-brand-new-me/

I love Smith's rosebud salve. It helps with dry lips.

I also brought my laptop that I'd put some movies on, and an HDMI cable to hook it up to the TV since I knew I was going to be in a private room. I mainly slept during recovery, but it gave my parents who came with me to be my support team a way to pass the time. I always pack a small extension cord to plug in my phone, laptop, iPad, and the like.

Some people who've flown for the surgery said that having a small travel pillow can help to prevent the seat belt on the plane from touching your healing incisions. I drove down, so that wasn't necessary.

Make sure you bring your passport with you.