Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other men approx 5'10" 300lbs when they want in for surgery?

Welcome ag1077,,,I will have my second anniversary in early July, and it was the best

thing I have ever done. I had a starting weight of 274 ponds and have been over weight

my whole life like most other folks. My big difference was I waited to long as I had just

turned 68 years old. It was a majior thing to think about, but I made the right choice.

Today I weight 162pounds and have maintained this weight for the past several

months. No more blood pressure meds, gerd, or knee pain. I went from a 44/46

pants to a comfortable 34 now. I look and feel like another person. I even work

2 part time jobs and just turned 70. No regrets! Good luck to the new you!

Edited by ambpete

@@ag0177 I am a little shorter than you (5'8") but started at about the same weight. My high weight was 301, but I had lost 16 lbs on my own and was a 285 when I started the surgery process. I've had a good ride so far, but at about the six month mark my rate of loss slowed significantly. I have continued to lose some inches but the loss of pounds has slowed to a crawl. I suspect this has to do with my food selections coupled with extensive travel and eating prepared food. I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon and the nutritionist tomorrow to see what I need to do in order to get the loss back on track.

Overall, even though progress to my goal has slowed I have had great success. In eight months I've lost about 77 pounds from my high weight and 61 from my first surgery weigh-in, almost 10 inches off my waist and similar losses in other areas. I've dropped from size 46 slacks to size 38, casual shirts have gone from 4XL to XL, and I've found it made all the difference in the world as far as being able to exercise. I went from being out of breath walking up the stairs to being in the middle of training for my first 5K.

I was able to stop both of my type-2 diabetes meds as of surgery, and have reduced by blood pressure meds from three pills a day to one, with hopefully the ability to stop it entirely very soon.

Good luck with your surgery! Follow the recommendations of your surgery team and nutritionist and you should do great.

Good luck ag0177! I am 5'10" and started out a bit heavier than you at 348. I lost 16 lbs during the pre-op diet and was 331 at the time of surgery. Today, 10 months later, i weigh 203 and change. I was 51 at the tine of surgery and had back and knee problems, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. As of today, all are gone and at 52 I feel like I am in my best condition ever. I went from a 50 to a 36 waist and 2XL to L in shirts and even an occasional M . I followed my doc's program, got in my Water, Vitamins and 100 gms plus of Protein per day, and my life had changed for the better. I have slacked off on exercising the past few months and my pace of weight loss has dropped, but I am still losing (down to about 5-6 llbs per month the past couple of months). My goal now is to start exercising again to build up muscle and strength. My first two or three months I was at about 800 calories per day, and now am around 1200. When I begin exercising again, I plan on upping my calories a bit because you can stall out of your calories are too low. I wish you all the best in this endeavor!

Welcome ag1077,,,I will have my second anniversary in early July, and it was the best

thing I have ever done. I had a starting weight of 274 ponds and have been over weight

my whole life like most other folks. My big difference was I waited to long as I had just

turned 68 years old. It was a majior thing to think about, but I made the right choice.

Today I weight 162pounds and have maintained this weight for the past several

months. No more blood pressure meds, gerd, or knee pain. I went from a 44/46

pants to a comfortable 34 now. I look and feel like another person. I even work

2 part time jobs and just turned 70. No regrets! Good luck to the new you!

That's incredible! Congratulations. I'm 39 and have been overweight my entire life as well. It's definitely taken some time to accept that surgery is something I should consider but I'm glad I've reached this place and I'm looking forward to better health. I wish you continued good health.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

@@ag0177 I am a little shorter than you (5'8") but started at about the same weight. My high weight was 301, but I had lost 16 lbs on my own and was a 285 when I started the surgery process. I've had a good ride so far, but at about the six month mark my rate of loss slowed significantly. I have continued to lose some inches but the loss of pounds has slowed to a crawl. I suspect this has to do with my food selections coupled with extensive travel and eating prepared food. I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon and the nutritionist tomorrow to see what I need to do in order to get the loss back on track.

Overall, even though progress to my goal has slowed I have had great success. In eight months I've lost about 77 pounds from my high weight and 61 from my first surgery weigh-in, almost 10 inches off my waist and similar losses in other areas. I've dropped from size 46 slacks to size 38, casual shirts have gone from 4XL to XL, and I've found it made all the difference in the world as far as being able to exercise. I went from being out of breath walking up the stairs to being in the middle of training for my first 5K.

I was able to stop both of my type-2 diabetes meds as of surgery, and have reduced by blood pressure meds from three pills a day to one, with hopefully the ability to stop it entirely very soon.

Good luck with your surgery! Follow the recommendations of your surgery team and nutritionist and you should do great.

Thanks for replying. I wish you continued good health and I hope all goes well with your appointment. Congratulations on all you have accomplished.

Good luck ag0177! I am 5'10" and started out a bit heavier than you at 348. I lost 16 lbs during the pre-op diet and was 331 at the time of surgery. Today, 10 months later, i weigh 203 and change. I was 51 at the tine of surgery and had back and knee problems, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. As of today, all are gone and at 52 I feel like I am in my best condition ever. I went from a 50 to a 36 waist and 2XL to L in shirts and even an occasional M . I followed my doc's program, got in my Water, Vitamins and 100 gms plus of Protein per day, and my life had changed for the better. I have slacked off on exercising the past few months and my pace of weight loss has dropped, but I am still losing (down to about 5-6 llbs per month the past couple of months). My goal now is to start exercising again to build up muscle and strength. My first two or three months I was at about 800 calories per day, and now am around 1200. When I begin exercising again, I plan on upping my calories a bit because you can stall out of your calories are too low. I wish you all the best in this endeavor!

Congrats on your progress! Hearing your story is motivating. At my heaviest I was 340. Between 2009 & 2010 I lost 100 lbs through diet and exercise but over the last few years I have been unable to maintain the loss and gained nearly everything back and thus past September I weighed 322. Over the past few months I've dropped down to 305 but now I'm up to about 310. I'm looking forward to having surgery and days of feeling overall good health. Thanks for posting and good luck.

@@ag0177 - right about the same weight and height, but I had my sleeve done when I was 51...I wish I had at 39. The bulk of my loss was the first 4 months. While I am convinced 90%* of weight loss is diet, exercise will speed weight loss along with improving your quality of life and muscle helps with people who skin is still saggy.

During the next two weeks, wean off of caffeine and other things that can irritate the staple line in the stomach and do as much walking and exercising as you can (it makes recovery easier, and your body will lose some muscle tissue with the fat).

*90% - that is my number, but it is a guess and a matter of great debate, so please don't take it too literally.

@@ag0177 - right about the same weight and height, but I had my sleeve done when I was 51...I wish I had at 39. The bulk of my loss was the first 4 months. While I am convinced 90%* of weight loss is diet, exercise will speed weight loss along with improving your quality of life and muscle helps with people who skin is still saggy.

During the next two weeks, wean off of caffeine and other things that can irritate the staple line in the stomach and do as much walking and exercising as you can (it makes recovery easier, and your body will lose some muscle tissue with the fat).

*90% - that is my number, but it is a guess and a matter of great debate, so please don't take it too literally.

OKCPirate thanks for the tips. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and I do agree diet is the main factor is in all of this. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Good luck @ag0177

I'm 5'11" and still preop, but you can see that i've already lost a significant amount of weight thanks to my NUT making me eat more like I have to after surgery.